Have you ever not attended an event due to principal?

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Anything you would like to note - I think what I was kinda getting at - was perhaps something either you should (like a family member's funeral) or something you would normally like to attend and would actually be a great or fun experience for you. Sort of like Thomas thing - going to the White House and meeting the President (whatever your political beliefs) is a great honor and would be pretty cool and great experience. But you deny that benefit because you do not believe what the President stands for.

I've heard of people not going to a parent's funeral because they were not on speaking terms with them - some sort of fight. Would you go? My opinion for your own benefit - they were still your parent - say good bye. Doesn't mean you need to shed a tear. My grandmother went to my grandfather funeral for example even though he was abusive to her - they were divorced the whole time I knew them. Although who knows - Maybe she actually went to make sure he wasn't around any more to bother her - she was scared of him.
JPB

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:17 am
@Linkat,
It's a cost/benefit analysis where the cost is greater than the benefit. Clearly, Thomas felt it would cost him more is self respect than any benefit he might receive.

Yes, I would attend the funeral, wedding, significant event of a family member that I would otherwise not get along with. I'd paste an appropriate smile on my face or give the appropriate condolences to those who are struggling with a loss. These events aren't about me and to make them about me is a disservice to the occasion.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:26 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
This is in reference to Tim Thomas not going to the White House. Made me think have you or do you know some one that missed a big event (or small for that matter) due to their principals?

I've heard of people not going to weddings or funerals because of this. Sometimes it is petty sometimes it is because they would feel a hypocrite. I know a cousin of mine did not go to my wedding because she knew her mom would be there. She sent me a nice note - but would not attend.

Is there something you would miss because of principal?
I did not attend my high school graduation, knowing that its principal 'd be the keynote speaker,
n I 'd already heard him bloviate enuf. I did not care what he thawt about anything.

(That was added to their refusal to distribute the diplomas there too.)

David
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:27 am
Sure I have. If I don't like someone, I don't like 'em and won't do anything to help or support them. I've been invited to weddings, showers, and parties in the past and didn't go for that reason. Don't know why I was even invited, in some cases, unless it's because they wanted a gift. I particularly dislike going to baby showers and mostly refused. I have gone for family members, but only because I love them. I dislike all those kind of events.

Some friends of my husband's always invite us to their kids' choir recitals. I've never gone because I don't like that type of evening. Bo-ring! I don't see why they need me there, I barely know them, but yeah, they've gotten offended. Too bad. Why would I spend 2 or 3 hours in a hideous situation (for me) for someone I barely know? Wouldn't even go to a choir recital for a family member.

That's really not what you're asking though - it has nothing to do with principles.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:46 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Sure I have. If I don't like someone, I don't like 'em and won't do anything to help or support them. I've been invited to weddings, showers, and parties in the past and didn't go for that reason. Don't know why I was even invited, in some cases, unless it's because they wanted a gift. I particularly dislike going to baby showers and mostly refused. I have gone for family members, but only because I love them. I dislike all those kind of events.

Some friends of my husband's always invite us to their kids' choir recitals. I've never gone because I don't like that type of evening. Bo-ring! I don't see why they need me there, I barely know them, but yeah, they've gotten offended. Too bad.
That reminds me of semi-wierd situations wherein (relative) strangers invite me to dinner
and will not take NO for an answer.

1 of them was a barber on-the-job, and another was an attorney to whom
I put out occasional cases of litigation when the trial calendar of my firm was too full.
I knew NEITHER of them on a personal basis.
The invitations were based upon my single marital status,
to go to eat in the houses of families that I had never even remotely met.

I remember them arguing at length (over half an hour)
demanding that I attend the proffered dinner, as if I had no right to refuse.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:03 am
@JPB,
Yeah I don't fault Thomas - you need to make the decision for yourself - I just wonder for his own sake if he will regret it. Maybe not - he might have regretted it later on if he attended.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:08 am
@Mame,
yeah those things are boring - I've even started to nod off at my kids' musicals before. I had a friend once that used to invite me all the time to your daughters' dance recitals. I never attended. I was going to once as I thought my daughter might enjoy it - but something happened last minute that I couldn't go. I had not committed to it so there really wasn't an obligation. And this would be almost an hour drive too so it wasn't like it was in the same town.

She used to get upset at that - personally I don't know why - one thing if it close family like a niece or something - but I don't even invite them to my kids' musicals.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:19 am
@wandeljw,
I didn't know that either. Half my clothes are from a well stocked SA in Santa Monica, back before 1999, when I moved. Some, from their best section, were fabulous, besides inexpensive - a Yve Saint Laurent coat, for example, for, I think, $25.00. A whole set of dishes I still use, $35.00. So, I'm sorry to hear about the HIV thing - is that still going on? As you know, JCboy, I've known of a close friend of a friend who was refused being helped by paramedics - but that was in the early days.
George

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:55 am
People who actually expect you to attend their children's music or dance
recitals are not your friends.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:17 am
@ossobuco,
The Gay community has boycotted the SA for many years now, it is still going on to this day.
parados

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:20 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Have you ever not attended an event due to principal

One time in HS the Principal made me miss my bus. I guess that counts as an event. At that time the Principal wasn't my pal.

As for principles, I guess I have some. But I think my principle would be to not disrespect the President as opposed to making some silly political statement that means nothing to anyone else.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:22 am
@EqualityFLSTPete,
Thanks. I haven't been to one in Albuquerque if there is one, but I'll remember that and not go in if I run across one.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:22 am
@Linkat,
Yes, a wedding of an ex-wife' or the wedding of a former sister-in-law. I'd be glad to pass on attending those events on principal.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:29 am
@parados,
the spelling police are out in fulll forceee

David is my frend in regard to spelling.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:15 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
the spelling police are out in fulll forceee

David is my frend in regard to spelling.
Victory is inevitable and we r invincible !!!

David
Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
We have met the enemy and he is us...
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:22 pm
I would suggest that one avoids an event not because of principal, but due to a lack of interest . . .

(That's a joke, Linkat.)
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:04 pm
@Setanta,
Oh I know you were joking - it was a lame joke ya know!
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:05 pm
@Linkat,
Any port in a storm . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:10 pm
I never avoided small events requested by my principal. By the time I was in high school, I had learned my lesson.