Slow internet connection - any solutions?

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 12:55 pm
@JPB,
Yes, I do all the automatic updates. I'll give that a try if defragmenting doesn't solve the problem.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 02:39 pm
@JPB,
That's really good advice. We were having problems with browsing, in IE and Firefox. I did a system restore (i only went back one day, but i knew it had installed an update the night before when i shut down), and the problem went away. It installed the update again when we shut down that night, but there were no subsequent problems. I suspect that it had failed to properly or completely install the update.

Joe, system restore is also under the System Tools rubric. If you know approximately when the problem began, select a restore date prior to that.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 02:50 pm
@Setanta,
Many thanks again. I'll do that tonight.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 02:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
you could have a defragging party, and invite your friends...

I'm not sure what one serves at such a gala.

wandel would know...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 03:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
For some unknown reason my internet connection slowed considerably two days ago and hasn't recovered.

Same symptoms and same timing here, on a Linux machine and with Firefox 3.6.24. I suspect the problem does lie somewhere in the internet's backbone, which would mean there's nothing we can do.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 04:41 pm
jcboy wrote:
My laptop was doing the same thing about a month ago, turned out I had a virus and had to call the geek squad, I couldn’t believe how fast the internet was when they were finished. Like a new computer.

Thomas wrote:
Same symptoms and same timing here, on a Linux machine and with Firefox 3.6.24. I suspect the problem does lie somewhere in the internet's backbone, which would mean there's nothing we can do.

La la la la la I can't hear you la la la la la la la
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:49 am
All right, I tried the disc defragmenting thing -- turns out I've been defragmenting regularly as an auto-task, so my disc was 0% fragmented. Who knew?

I then tried the system restore thing. It gave me Jan. 20 as the restore date, which coincides with the date on which my computer slowed down, so I think we've identified the culprit. When I try to run the restore program, though, it says it can't proceed and gives me an "unexplained error" message, which isn't very helpful.
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:58 am
@joefromchicago,
There should be a calendar symbol which lists previous system restore save dates. See if it will allow you to restore a date prior to January 20.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:02 am
OK, i just started system restore to check what the process looks like on the screen. After it tells you that it is starting the system restore and tells you it might take a few minutes, a small window pops up midscreen, and in that screen, click on "Next." On the next page of that mid-screen small window, in the lower left-hand side, look for a box to check which reads "show more restore points." It then fills the window for restore points--it no longer uses a calendar icon. See if you can restore from an earlier date.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:26 am
@joefromchicago,
uh oh.

You may have a picked up a trojan or worm or other malware that prevents you from doing a system restore. That happened to me and these folks were fantastic at helping me get rid of it.

http://www.geekpolice.net/f12-malware-removal-guides
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
If you're running an antivirus program at the same time, system restore might not work.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:02 pm
@JPB,
they ARE great!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 06:30 pm
@panzade,
Yep! They've helped me clean things up several times. More helpful than the anti-virus/anti-malware software I pay big bucks for.
0 Replies

tofayelbd

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 10:30 am
@joefromchicago,
You should contact with your service provider.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 12:07 pm
Contact with the service provider? What . . . like, run them down in the street? I don't think that will help.
Irishk

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 12:22 pm
@Setanta,
http://www.pixel77.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/song-chart-memes-internet-connection.gif
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 01:27 pm
@joefromchicago,
The high packet loss is probably what's causing the big slow down. When a packet is dropped, the connection will recover but each dropped packet causes a delay while the connection determines for sure that the packet is not coming and then requests a copy.

If the connection degrades enough, those requests can get lost, causing further delay.

If you have another machine that you can connect to your Internet connection, then you can try that to see if it is an issue with your PC or your Internet connection.

Quote:
Although TCP can recover from packet loss, retransmitting missing packets causes the throughput of the connection to decrease. This drop in throughput is due to the sliding window protocols used for acknowledgment of received packets. In certain variants of TCP, if a transmitted packet is lost, it will be re-sent along with every packet that had been sent after it. This retransmission causes the overall throughput of the connection to drop.

As a rule of thumb derived from day-to-day practical experience, in general with TCP/IP protocols a packet loss below 0.1% (1 lost packet in every 1000 packets) can be tolerated; anything higher will have more or less impact (depending on circumstances) and needs to be addressed.
0 Replies

Repfixers

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:50 am
@JPB,

Check your Network devices and connections :

May be your Internet cable is so old and cannot transmit signal properly or your modem, router, Ethernet cables are old or not properly connected, the same issue will happen. Verify your network settings and connections and make sure there is no issue with this.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:50 am
Thanks everyone. I'm still having problems with the internet speed, which I haven't been able to attend to due to some other pressing concerns. As god is my witness, though, I will get everything fixed this weekend!
0 Replies

ramatax

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
Its looks like your service provider got problem or you are using internet on peak time when the maximum people surfing internet which reduce the internet speed. thanks