Why not use "a friend and a liberator of the old" but "a friend and liberator of the old"?

JTT

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 12:57 pm
@oristarA,
We have a place, all of us, in a long story. A story we continue, but whose end we will not see. It is the story of a new world that became a friend and liberator of the old, a story of a slave-holding society that became a servant of freedom, the story of a power that went into the world to protect but not possess, to defend but not to conquer.

Quote:
Merry explains:

Apparently the meaning is intended to be that this abstract personification -- "the world" -- is a friend of the old (not necessarily of anyone else)as well as a liberator of the old. If you put in that second article ("a"), you're implying that "the world" is a friend to all but a liberator specifically of the old. And that's not the intent of the writer.

"Selected Answer" - were you feeling sorry for Lustig Andrei, Ori?

Who is the "old" Merry describes? Doncha think that it might be helpful if Merry actually knew that the "abstract personification" was neither abstract or a personification?

Doncha think that it would have helped had Merry taken some time and effort to inform himself of the situation?

This is from GW Bush's inaurgural address 0f 2001

We have a place, all of us, in a long story -- a story we continue, but whose end we will not see. It is the story of a new world that became a friend and liberator of the old, a story of a slave-holding society that became a servant of freedom, the story of a power that went into the world to protect but not possess, to defend but not to conquer.
It is the American story -- a story of flawed and fallible people, united across the generations by grand and enduring ideals.

Merry must have known this but he did as Merry always does - he ran fast and far.

Ori's question: Why not use "a friend and a liberator of the old" but "a friend and liberator of the old?

Why not use "a friend and a liberator of the old" instead of [but] "a friend and liberator of the old?

McTag might be seeing something that I have missed but we'll have to wait until he tells us what that is.

Using 'a' before 'liberator' only adds a bit of emphasis. If 'a' had been used it would have been because the speaker/speechwriter wanted to make the second stand out more.

Of course, and this is secondary to the question at hand, but important nevertheless, what GW Bush stated was a monumental lie. The US has never been a defender of freedom, a protector of freedom. It has used its enormous military power to slaughter and subjugate many people, to use them solely to enrich US business interests.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 01:06 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
By the way, is it snowing there?

I have not lived in Rockford since 1986, and now that my mom has passed I have no family there. We recently have had both snow and an ice storm here in olympia wa however.....just went two days with no power. It sucked.

BTW: "where are you from" in english means "where did you spend your formative years"......it does not mean "where were you born" or "where are you living now".

You are welcome for your English lesson for the day....Kindly do not use your skills against me or my people. Thank You.
oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:46 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Of course, and this is secondary to the question at hand, but important nevertheless, what GW Bush stated was a monumental lie. The US has never been a defender of freedom, a protector of freedom. It has used its enormous military power to slaughter and subjugate many people, to use them solely to enrich US business interests.

I suggest that it would be better to post a thread in Political Forum (or Politics Section) to discuss this issue, JTT. An English forum in essence serves as a platform for linguistics, after all.
oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 09:49 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
By the way, is it snowing there?

I have not lived in Rockford since 1986, and now that my mom has passed I have no family there. We recently have had both snow and an ice storm here in olympia wa however.....just went two days with no power. It sucked.

BTW: "where are you from" in english means "where did you spend your formative years"......it does not mean "where were you born" or "where are you living now".

You are welcome for your English lesson for the day....Kindly do not use your skills against me or my people. Thank You.

To use any resources in a peaceful and constructive way is what I always love to do.
Thank you for your reminding.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 06:21 pm
@oristarA,
I may just do that, Ori, but these bald faced lies must be addressed. There are too many millions of people dead because of lies like this.

Surely, you don't think that these linguistic issues, [which, by the way, I fully addressed, unlike Merry Andrew], are more important than the lives of millions.
oristarA

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:18 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I may just do that, Ori, but these bald faced lies must be addressed. There are too many millions of people dead because of lies like this.

Surely, you don't think that these linguistic issues, [which, by the way, I fully addressed, unlike Merry Andrew], are more important than the lives of millions.

When you've posted your thread in Politics Section, please post the link to the thread here.
Thank you.

0 Replies