Crowd-Sourcing Science: What Is Animal Love?

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 01:10 pm
Crowd-Sourcing Science: What Is Animal Love?
January 19, 2012
by Barbara J King - NPR

Day by day, I'm grappling with animal love.

As the coldest part of winter sets in, I'm hunkered down, writing my book on animal emotion. But I'm stuck in a section on animal love. So today, instead of conveying some new bit of news in anthropology, animal behavior, or evolution, I want to invite some crowd-sourcing on a topic that brings together all three.

Here's the central question I'm wrestling with: How can we tell, by careful observation alone (no hormonal analysis, brain scans or other invasive research allowed), whether nonhuman animals feel love for others of their own kind?

As you see, I'm not asking so much about whether other animals may feel love because, like Marc Bekoff in this wonderful blog post from 2009 at Psychology Today, I am convinced that many (though by no means all) animals may do just that.

But what is animal love? How do we know it when we see it? In fact, we could ask the same questions questions about human love. But let's consign that quagmire to another day.

I suggest that, to identify reliably animal love, we would need to observe two things together:

*Two individuals of the same species choose to stay together in contexts that go beyond survival and reproduction. While they may forage, avoid predators, or raise offspring together, they also choose to play, groom, rest or embrace together as well.

*Emotional suffering results when the relationship between the two animals is severed for some reason. The separated animals, or the surviving partner if one animal dies, may stop eating, lose weight, become sluggish and withdrawn, or otherwise show through body language and changed routine a severe alteration in mood.

You can see why I am still at the grappling stage! For one thing, using these criteria, love will be defined too often only in retrospect, once the relationship is over. For another, it's doubtful whether these criteria could distinguish between love and friendship. (Or, maybe, genuine friendship always encompasses love?) For a third, animals in the wild may ill afford giving off visible signs of weakness, so emotional suffering may be felt but hidden from view.

Still, this scheme offers a platform from which to think scientifically about animal love. How would it apply in the real world?

For five years in a row the male stork Rodan flew 8,000 miles from South Africa to a small village in Croatia, arriving always on the same day to rejoin his mate Malena. Shot by a hunter, Malena was unable to fly. Rodan's avian journeys ignited the romantic sensibilities of journalists, who proclaimed it "love."

Invoking love between Rodan and Malena is premature, though, according to my suggested criteria. The two birds stayed together in tightly constrained reproductive contexts, and we have no way to know how Malena would have reacted if Rodan hadn't shown up, or how Rodan would have reacted had he arrived to discover that Malena was missing or dead.

On the other hand, people who live with domestic animals often recount stories that seem to fit with my criteria. Two rabbits, for instance, often choose to be companions, playing and grooming together. When one dies, the other may become so distressed as to fall ill. The House Rabbit Society finds this situation common enough to include advice for owners of grieving bunnies on its website. Doesn't this point us towards the reality of lagomorph love?

Maybe the trick with animal love is to go case by case—not only by species, but by individuals within each species.

But back to the crowd-sourcing! Please do remember that my goal is not to defend my nascent ideas, but to open up the discussion. If you've spent time closely observing animals, please have at it: What is animal love, and how can we know it when we see it? I will credit any fresh ideas that find their way into my work as a result of our crowd-sourcing.

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:04 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I will shoot one canada goose a season. I love the flavor of the meat but feel terrible about breaking the bond between paired geese.
Geese pair for life and its a wonderful thing to watch and photo, especially at young rearing time when the parents nuzzle ezch other and proudly walk their brood through ankle high grasses and sedges to reach a pond.
I try to pick out a lone (unpaired goose) when I hunt and will never shoot at them on landing. I like to scope them on the ground and then flush and shoot. I miss more than I ever get, some years I dont get a one but I feel not so bad about it. I have to admit that I go out in the field just to watch the bird antics and the touching fidelity between pairs of Canada Geese.
Snow geese are the Newt Gingrich of the bird world. They all seem to seek "Open marriages" so they can screw around. I imagine thats why there has been a logarithmic expansion of the snow goose populations in the eastern flyway.
Too bad they taste like muddy ****.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 04:04 pm
@farmerman,
What a wonderful man you are, Farmerman!!!

Have you ever seen the Jacques Perrin's film "Winged Migration"? If not, I urge you to buy or rent it. It is a glorious all bird and environment film I know you would be impressed. I would send it to you but I promised I would mail it to my son Stugotz. You can buy it at Amazon. BBB

Editorial Reviews

For earthbound humans, Winged Migration is as close as any of us will get to sharing the sky with our fine feathered friends. It's as if French director Jacques Perrin and his international crew of dedicated filmmakers had been given a full-access pass by Mother Nature herself, with the complete "cooperation" of countless species of migrating birds, all answering to eons of migratory instinct. The film is utterly simple in purpose, with minimal narration and on-screen titles to identify the wondrous varieties of flying wildlife, but its visceral effect is humbling, awesome and magnificently profound. Technically, Perrin surpasses the achievement of his earlier film Microcosmos (which did for insects what this film does for birds), and apart from a few digital skyscapes for poetic effect, this astonishing film uses no special effects whatsoever, with soaring, seemingly miraculous camera work that blesses the viewer with, quite literally, a bird's-eye view. A brief but important hunting scene may upset sensitive viewers and children, but doesn't stop Winged Migration from being essential all-ages viewing. --Jeff Shannon

Product Description

This awe-inspiring, critically acclaimed documentary of migrating birds through 40 countries and every continent was captured using planes, gliders, helicopters and balloons, allowing the filmmakers a spectacularly intimate look at their subjects. From Academy Award-nominated Director Jacques Perrin (Z, Black and White in Color). 2002 Academy Award® Nominee for Best Documentary.

Reader review By Gregor von Kallahann

My ex-wife could never understand why I (the original couch potato) could never get enough of nature shows on TV. It was rather difficult to explain how fascinating I found the natural world, especially from the comfort of my own living room. And admittedly, some of those WILD KINGDOM episodes were kind of hokey. (I remember how betrayed I felt when I found out that Jim and Marlin had staged most of the good scenes and hadn't actually ventured to the wilds of Africa or the Amazon. Maybe they were just couch potatoes at heart too.)

But French filmmaker, Jacques Perrin and crew are certainly the real deal. This breathtaking documentary is one that I would unqualifiedly recommend--to just about anyone. Even my "ex" called recently to let me know that this film had left her in tears. I found it equally moving, and plainly I wasn't alone. In fact, when I saw it the whole theater burst into applause at the end.

As others have noted, the camera work on this film is awe inspiring. I have seen a few television docs with this kind of upclose footage before (I think maybe the EYEWITNESS series?), but none have sustained the effect for very long, and most don't pack the emotional wallop of this film.

Between this film and the recent SPELLBOUND, I can see an expanding market for documentaries--at least the more unique and captivating ones. A great film for family viewing, although younger children may be upset by the depiction of some of nature's (and mankind's) harsher realities. Otherwise, a true must-see in a sea of only purported must-sees.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:53 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I forgot to give you a picture of the geese in flight. Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Winged-Migration-Special-Jacques-Perrin/dp/B0000CGNEH/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1327513920&sr=1-1

BBB

0 Replies