Can Technology Transform Education Before It’s Too Late?

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 12:19 pm
Do any of you in the education profession use any of these technologies in your classroom?

Are students getting a well-rounded education and learning how to learn? Or, are they learning how to be good users of technology?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/15/can-technology-transform-education-before-its-too-late/

See the link for their supporting links.

Some excerpts:

Quote:
‎"Many in Silicon Valley have strong opinions on how education should be improved, perhaps most notably Peter Thiel, who believes we are in a higher education bubble and should be encouraging kids to skip college and pursue entrepreneurship instead. I agree that Americans are placing too much emphasis on higher education, but I think the debate over Thiel’s statements misses a much deeper point.

Why is higher education overvalued?

It’s because our primary and secondary education systems suck and are thus shifting the burden of educating our population to college. Of much greater concern to me than the college bubble is that 18 years of almost every American life are wasted learning nothing in primary and secondary public schools. By now we’ve become habituated to the alarming statistics that show America falling behind in all subjects. While the public sector struggles to innovate, however, the private sector is taking note."

Quote:
‎"As Connolly explains in this video from Apple’s iPad 2 launch event last March, “It is difficult to keep students motivated in school, and keep them engaged in the curriculum…You put the iPad in front of them, and you’ll see the kids focus immediately on that content and start working through it … I really believe that this is the future of education.”

Classrooms using the iPads have seen gains of 50-60% in reading, math and science performance. Connolly is also working with Chicago-based start-up, eSpark Learning, to help teachers sort through the 27,000 educational apps in the iOS store and adapt instruction to individual students’ needs. According to eSpark’s CEO, David Vinca, the software, which he describes as “Pandora for education,” has helped students raise their skills by 1.4 grade levels."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,002 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jessicadavid

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:37 am
@Butrflynet,
As technology continues its march toward the Singularity, transforming the way we work, socialize and play at an increasing rate, there is one very important aspect of American society that lags behind: education.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:54 am
@Butrflynet,
I think iPads are neutral-ish -- they can be very useful, but they're not a silver bullet in and of themselves. Depends on how they're used, and I don't think they necessarily add that much.

Was just reading yesterday about the heaviness of kids' backpacks, though, (the physical problems they cause) and the promise of an iPad or similar reader for solving that problem. Also would allow schools to upgrade all of their textbooks at intervals for a much lower cost. So that part does sound good to me.
0 Replies

tinytomhanks

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 02:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
It is true that technology transform our education system, we take a lot of its advantage but at the other side of this is also deviate student to earn money rather than valuable study and innovation.
0 Replies