Man Sentenced to Yoga Classes for Slap

quinn1

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:03 pm
Quote:

HOUSTON (Jan. 23) - A man convicted of slapping his wife has been sentenced to yoga classes.

Judge Larry Standley said yoga should help James Lee Cross with his anger management. Cross was ordered to take the class as part of his yearlong probation.

The judge said Cross' case is unique and prosecutors agreed.

Cross claimed he hit his wife during a New Year's Eve argument about her drinking problem. Cross said he hopes the yoga will also help him lose weight.

Standley, who is known for his creative sentencing, has in the past ordered dozens of people convicted of drunken driving to collect newspaper clippings about the crime.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 669 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:37 pm
uuuummm, I think I'd be a little POd if I were his wife.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:08 am
I would have preferred that he get 30 days in the slammer, and THEN yoga classes. I do have to admit though, that the judge IS creative.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:24 am
The full sentence was 1 year on probation, 80 hours of community service with a women's shelter, an anger management class AND the yoga class. Wink

http://www.click2houston.com/news/2786596/detail.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:28 am
fishin'- I like the idea about the women's shelter. Maybe it'll teach the guy a little empathy!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:31 am
Perhaps Phoenix. In my own experience people like that don't change though. Perhaps a few do but most of them just find better ways to hide what they're doing. Sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:42 am
fishin'- Sad, but true. But I don't think that a harsher sentence would be reasonable. It would be wonderful if the woman were given the opportunity to join an assertiveness training course. Then SHE would develop the skills to either learn how to deal with a man like that, or dump him.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:13 am
thanks for the added info fishin, makes me feel kinda better. I dont hold high regard..any regard actually..for this type of behaviour but, like the creativity of the judge as well.
0 Replies