16

How to gain weight?

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:06 pm
My daughter is very thin - stick thin. Thoughts on what I can give her to fatten her up? I know part of this is probably genetic as I was very thin too. But I'd like her to have some meat on her bones - I'm concerned she could get roughed up playing in sports. Preferably something healthy, that would put some weight on the kid.

Questioner

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
When I was younger I had to be put on a protein diet to gain weight. It works well enough, and they have enough methods of getting good protein into you now that she won't have to resort to drinking egg milkshakes.

Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:15 pm
@Questioner,
How about those protein drinks? We were considering them any way - any good for teenagers - healthy and taste good?

I just bought her this V8 smoothie drink to try out - not sure it is a weight gaining item, but I researching and trying out different things for her to have prior to early morning games that give her energy, but won't fill her up where she will feel sick.
DrewDad

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:21 pm
@Linkat,
Did you ask your doctor?

Our doctor sent us to a specialist for the boy, since he wasn't as tall as he should be (5-10% of average). They put him on a high-protein diet. (Basically, they said to ALWAYS offer him protein, and offer it first.) Last time they measured, he was up to the 35% range or so....
Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:37 pm
@DrewDad,
No - I just thought of it the other day - she started playing in this one month league that is mostly made up of inner city kids with a few smatterings of suburb type kids that are just good ball players. Man did she stand out - she is so skinny (and pale for a white girl on top of it). Hoping this league helps her be more aggressive in her play.

Actually the doctor said her weight is fine - compared with her height - it isn't that she is unhealthy weight-wise - just she could use some more poundage - she is unbelieveably strong for a skinny girl. She is pretty much all muscle, but thin as can be. I thought some extra weight would help her.

Questioner

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:38 pm
@Linkat,
I still drink Muscle Milk and Myoplex off and on as a supplement to regular workouts. The Muscle Milk comes in many flavors, the Myoplex is easier on the stomach.

Her physician should be able to recommend a good one for her, and there are certain items out there that taste better than what I drink. There are several powder mixes that you can put into just about anything that don't overpower the taste.
Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:40 pm
@Questioner,
I have a good health food store in my town. We have found some great stuff there for other healthy crap we like. I bet they would be able to recommend something as well.

You certainly gave me some great thoughts though.
CalamityJane

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:46 pm
@Linkat,
Athletes eat a lot of carbohydrates - pasta, rice, beans, lentils, bread etc.
and of course protein. What does she like to eat, Linkat?
manored

2  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:04 pm
I suppose its worth noting that her body may just refuse to gain weight. That happened with my brother, he is and has always been very skiny. When he was a kid that worried my parents (specially because he also was a bit amnesic) and so they, under the recommendation of a doctor, put him on a high-protein diet and even went as far as to let him eat as much sweets as he wanted (he loves sweets) for a month but despite that he gained no weight whatsoever. In adulthood he also tried to gain weight again with protein supplements but... once again, no results =)
ehBeth

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:07 pm
@DrewDad,
Don't you mean 35th percentile?

If he was only 5% of the average height ... Shocked
DrewDad

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:25 pm
@ehBeth,
Percentile ranges, yes. He's not Tom Thumb.

Green Witch

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:36 pm
I wouldn't have her put on fat, but rather muscle. Encourage her to do some weight bearing exercises. Put the emphasis on strength gain not poundage.
manored

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:25 pm
@Green Witch,
Weight is important for strengh though, since muscle also weights and is in fact considerably more dense than fat. If she is skinny, its probally correct to assume she has a very low body fat percentage already so I dont think she can get much stronger without gaining weight.

But yeah, if its for sports, better focus on gaining muscle rather than fat.

Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
She loves pasta. Her grandmoms and she eats alot of it - three servings typically when she goes over there. I used as well when I was her age. Doesn't add an ounce to her.

She has variety- she likes lobster and cheeseburgers as her main meal. She eats a variety of fruits; not as much a lover veggies (mostly typical kid veggie likes).

Another bread item she loves are those pillsbury cresent rolls - she will eat a ton of them. And we let her have as much as she wants.

Protein might be a good focus. As any of those - that might be the one she has least of - not that she doesn't like protein things - just not as many servings.

Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:32 pm
@manored,
yes she has that body type - I did too. I do gain weight now, but not like an average person my age. I can pretty much eat what I want somewhat within reason.

Linkat

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:34 pm
@Green Witch,
She does - she works out and is part of a fitness program. She is actually pretty muscular and strong - just extremely thin. She surprises people with her strength.

I don't want her to necessarily have fat - but everyone needs some amount of body fat - the girl can't have an ounce of fat on her. I do what to emphasize heathly weight gain and food. Not candy and crap like that.

DrewDad

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:57 pm
Brussels sprouts
Questioner

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:11 pm
@DrewDad,
I believe those are covered by 'and crap like that.'
Lustig Andrei

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:16 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
How to gain weight?

Eat.

DrewDad

1  
Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:32 pm
@Questioner,
Asparagus?