How to speak the kings english?

McTag

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 08:17 am
@JTT,

I always thought JTT was male. But here we have references to "her".

JTT, could you please look in your pants and let us know. It's important somehow.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 08:26 am
How to speak the kings english?

centuries of inbreeding with selected cross breeding from the other inbred royal families
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 08:29 am
@djjd62,
It also helps make you look like a horse.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:30 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The actual term King's or Queen's English actually refers to a type of speech known as Received Pronunciation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation

That just ain't so - and you should know better than trust that e-rag! Read any Victorian (pre-BBC, the lot of them). Arthur Conan Doyle's The Last Bow:
Quote:
“Oh, an Irish—American?”

“If you heard him talk you would not doubt it. Sometimes I assure you I can hardly understand him. He seems to have declared war on the King’s English as well as on the English king
."

http://www.aolib.com/reader_2350_2.htm
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
@High Seas,
I was talking about today, anyway, you don't know that RP is not what is referred to in your quotation.
High Seas

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Indeed I do - Doyle never managed dialects or regional accents properly. Recall (if you ever knew it) that the person speaking in that sentence is German.
panzade

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:06 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
Bob's your uncle.

That brought a tear to my eye. My dear departed Mum who was Australian used to use that expression.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:32 pm
@High Seas,
I don't think you've proven anything. Conan-Doylealso used to play football for Pompey, and attended a notorious seance in Beaulieu. That doesn't mean that when most people used the term King's (or Queen's) English they're referring to RP.
High Seas

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 01:40 pm
@izzythepush,
In his dotage he also believed in fairies, but the point here is that "the King's English" doesn't necessarily refer to RP - you agree with me, I take it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:11 pm
@High Seas,
You can turn that on it's head and say that it doesn't refer to any other type of English. What do you define King's English as?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:17 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Nowadays, speaking with that accent can have negative social consequences.

The Wikipedia entry referenced somewhere above mentioned the fact that conservative RP is perceived negatively in some contexts.

What are the negative social consequences of speaking with that accent, especially as it is linked with education and privilege?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 02:22 pm
@InfraBlue,
Politically Thatcher had to lose her RP accent and sound a bit more down to Earth, otherwise she would have appeared even more aloof. Cameron's finding his Etonian vowels are rubbing Scots up the wrong way and making the break up of the UK more likely.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 04:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks, izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 05:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
Think nothing of it.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 05:04 pm
@izzythepush,
I think I need new reading glasses. At first glance I saw that phrase "Etonian vowels" as "Estonian vowels" and did a double-take. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 05:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Just so long as you didn't read Etonian bowels.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 05:52 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Cameron's finding his Etonian vowels
Funny, he dont look Etonian
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 05:53 pm
@farmerman,
Oh he does. A typical chinless wonder.
http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/cameron-bullingdon-club.jpg
farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 06:17 pm
@izzythepush,
OMIGAWD, its the TWITS.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
I know, the mayor of London, Boris Johnson's in there too.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:06:05