Why Is Homosexuality Considered An Abomination To Christians?

shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 12:38 pm
In church, we've been doing the controversy on Homosexuality. What I don't understand is if God made a man or women with homosexual tendencies, isn't it kind of cruel that he forbids it and Christians call it an abomination? Shouldn't it be a good thing that two people fall in love even if it is same sex? I just don't understand why it's such a big deal to christians.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,054 • Replies: 15
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by shay15
fresco

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 12:50 pm
@shay15,
A primary social function of religion is to regulate sexual behavior. All that "logic" will do for you is to expose the myth of "God".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 12:55 pm
The church wants you to be miserable in this life so that you will long for the life to come--hence, Puritans and puritanism.

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

-- H. L. Mencken
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 01:08 pm
The purpose was to max the birthrate because at the time we needed more humans to tame the Earth an thus make life better for humans. Our current problem is that we have too many humans on this planet, and besides technology has gone far towards nullifying the former effect on the birth rate that homosexuality had, so it is time for a rethink.
shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 01:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
I never thought of it like that that's really smart.... I'll tell that to my teacher and see the sparks fly Smile
hawkeye10
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 02:15 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:

I never thought of it like that that's really smart.... I'll tell that to my teacher and see the sparks fly Smile

On the other hand Christians will claim at times that the Bible is full of good practical advise, and that stuff like the eating of pork was only in the Bible because it was good advise at the time but since it is not now we can ignore it. They do however insist upon the right to decide which parts can be ignored because conditions have changed and which ones can not. The church will drop birth control before homosexuality, but it will likely in time drop both for the same reason.....the old advise is no longer good advise.
shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 03:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well all the christians in my church says the bible is timeless and that everything in it was intended for back then and presently. I know they mean the more spiritual parts of the bible, but how can they say that without including the weird rules like not eating pork and things like that? I mean if they say all of it can be used today, why don't they act upon it? I see all the church leaders doing things that were forbidden way back when. So is right for them to ignore those parts? And if they can ignore those things, can't they ignore homosexuality?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 04:16 pm
Is it still okay to sell daughters into slavery as long as we get a good price?

Joe(I keep checking EBay.)Nation
0 Replies

map4e

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 02:10 pm
@shay15,
Why is it a big deal to Christians? Leviticus 18:22, Romans 1:26, 27 and 1 Corinthians 6: 9 and 10, etc.

As a Christian I don't believe God did make humans with homosexual tendencies, so I do think he expects us to follow these laws. In fact, if you look at that verse in Corinthians it does say "that is what some of you WERE".

However, I don't understand why most religions focus on this one thing - that same verse puts those who are adulterers, or immoral (according to the Bible, having sex without the benefit of marriage), thieves, greedy, etc, in the same boat. Why aren't preachers all up in arms about that!?!? If a church (religion) doesn't count things like that as still applicable today, then it's not like they have a great respect for the Bible anyway. It should be all or nothing.

As far as not eating pork - not a Christian requirement, NEVER was! God gave the nation of Israel (Jews) the Law - hundreds of requirements, not just the 10 commandments as many people falsely believe. Regarding them, the apostle Paul wrote: “They were legal requirements pertaining to the flesh and were imposed until the appointed time to set things straight.” (Hebrews 9:10) When the Law led a remnant of Israelites to accept Jesus as the Messiah, or Christ, it had fulfilled its purpose. Thus, Paul declared: “Christ is the end of the Law.”—Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:19-25; 4:4, 5. He fulfilled the Law, now they didn't have to live by all those little rules and regulations, because Christ took mankind's sin on himself.

But the real purpose of the Law was, as stated by the apostle Paul, “to make transgressions manifest, until the seed should arrive.” It was a “tutor leading to Christ.” It pointed to Christ as the objective aimed at (“Christ is the end of the Law”). It revealed that all humans, including the Jews, are under sin and that life cannot be obtained by “works of law.” (Ga 3:19-24; Ro 3:20; 10:4) (Ro 7:12, 14) At Ephesians 2:15 it is called “the Law of commandments consisting in decrees.” It was a standard of perfection, marking the one who could keep it as perfect, worthy of life. (Le 18:5; Ga 3:12) Since imperfect humans could not keep the Law, it showed that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Ro 3:23) Only Jesus Christ kept it blamelessly.—Joh 8:46; Heb 7:26.

(By the way, look up Deuteronomy 14:3-21 Not only pork, but also rabbit, etc was not to be eaten. The reason for not eating pork, the Bible doesn't say if that was based on health considerations, but there were hazards with eating it. Since pigs are indiscriminate eaters, even eating carrion and offal, they tend to be infested with various parasitic organisms, including those responsible for diseases such as trichinosis and ascariasis. So, maybe it was also for a protection back then.)

Sorry this post is so long - it annoys me when people say we're still under the 10 commandments - the 10 commandments were just the 10 main laws, there were over 600 laws - if we're still under that law then we still have to sacrifice animals and every 50 yrs we have to let the land rest and every 7 years we have to forgive everyone whatever debts they owe us..... Jesus said he was giving a new commandment - love, love God and love each other and that covers our obligation to law. (If you love someone, you don't kill them, or covet their stuff, etc, right!?!?)
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 04:17 pm
@map4e,
God don't like homosexuals? Then why does it state in the Bible that Moses was able to hold the rod of God?
0 Replies

shay15

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 11:24 pm
Yeah that makes sense I think some christians now are just picking and choosing what to put as their rules and guidelines. I just don't see the big problem with homosexuality as long as it's kept respectful. I mean, it is a personal subject; your sexual preferences and all. Some of the more flamboyant ones irritate me, but most aren't like that.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 01:07 am
@shay15,
Knowledge of what Christ stands for had to perfect itself and is still in the process. We cant hate homos, we must love and accept like any other person. There is a place for them in the kingdom of God, indeed.
0 Replies

jameseo

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 02:18 am
@shay15,
Here's a Christian/Gay Video
http://illbehonest.com/Is-Someone-Born-a-Homosexual-David-Upton
0 Replies

yucango

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 10:37 am
Some years ago I was talking to a couple of young people panhandling on the streets of Vancouver. My friend and I probably had a thermos of hot chocolate and some sandwiches and some friendship to offer. When one of the young men found out I was a Christian he immediately said " my brother is gay!" expecting a reaction from me. My response was along these lines: Homosexuality is declared in the Bible to be a sin, but it is listed along with many others sexual and non-sexual behaviors. One non-sexual sin in this list is "disobedience to parents". Homosexuality is not an "abomination" to most of the Christians I know.

It is not some special sin out there all on its own. It has come into the public debate arena because some of those who are gay very much want everyone to accept there lifestyle. In some cases they are trying to force their beliefs on others. We are fortunate to live in a country where we are not put to death for sexual sins, adultery, pre-maritial sex and yes homosexuality. I work in Asia, where you can be put to death for carrying a gun or selling drugs. In the middle east people are still stoned for adultery and fornication. Thieves have their hand cut off.

God does not hate sinners in fact He loves us and desires to show his mercy, kindness and grace towards all. When a person become a true Christian they seek to imitate their Heavenly Father. True Christians don't hate homosexuals. In fact we are commanded to love them. Does that mean we agree with their lifestyle? No. But we don't judge them either.

Homosexuality is just one symptom of what has happened to us humans. Have you ever stopped to think why the world is so full of hate, suffering, greed, and lust? The Bible says that all of these "sins" come from a sinful nature. Just like a lion has a nature that dictates its behavior, so we humans have a nature that is in need of a massive repair job. Jesus Christ came so we can be forgiven for whatever we have done, and promises us a new nature. I have found this to be true in my own life. For I like many was a fornicator, a pervert, a liar, disobedient to my parents, a blasphemer, a liar, a hater of others , and deeply selfish. These are no worst or no better "sins" than homosexuality. They are all symptoms of a deep heart problem.
Yes they are listed in the Bible with the hope that we will stop and think about what is going on. Why are we so messed up? Is there a solution? I have found there is a wonderful solution. Not religion ! But the love of God for me....and for you.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 10:47 am
i think that maybe somebody touched gods pee pee when he was a little boy, deep down inside he feared that it was his fault and that maybe he was gay, so he spoke out vehemently against it to try and reaffirm his omnipresent manliness (well maybe manliness is not the right word)

0 Replies

Philis

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:51 pm
@shay15,
All designs and beliefs and evolved. It is a natural occurance. There is n0 condemnatrion for gayness, GOD, YAHWEH , judges the heart. I know fantasic Gays and lesbians. I know they are covered under the blood of the CHRIST. He LOVES US ALL>I dont find it an abomination and I am certain GOD has let our Christianity evolve to see that Gayness is acceptable,, providing the heart is not corrupt, meaning, you continue this practice and do repent. We are born into sin and sin we cant escape, due to adam and eve. Mercy to ALL is what GOD, Yahweh stands for. AMEN!
0 Replies