What is it with people and their pets?

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:44 pm
I have just been sitting here at work, overhearing a woman going on and on about her stupid dog, laughing hysterically, bragging about how cute it is, and on and on.

I have a pet too (mine is a cool black cat named Rocky), but I still don't understand these people who get so excited about their pets that they talk about them as if they were their children, they dress them up in goofy outfits, buy them exorbitant gifts for their birthdays . . . It's just goofy!

I mean, yeah, I do think my cat is the coolest, but it's not like I'm beaming with pride everytime he chases a tinfoil ball, and I just have to share it with everyone. What's the deal with these people?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 5
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:41 pm
When I was in my teens, a married couple lived across the street from us. They were already in their mid 50's and were never able to have children. They owned a dog named Teddy. They treated him like their own child; he even had his own room and lots of toys. The conversations between us were always, " Teddy this and Teddy that." When they went out for the evening, they would ask me to watch their dog and pay me, just like a babysitter.

I think sometimes people go on and on about their pets because it is all they have, just like people go on and on about their own children.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 07:47 pm
That's sad, really.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:15 pm
indeed...

but, whom am I to say?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:57 pm
I think it's more annoying than anything, personally. But I guess that's because I am so bad at patronizing people, and that is a "must patronize" situation. I just can't get all that excited about "Fluffy's big sneeze", or how they have to wipe Tasha's little heiney after she poops. And you know what? There are some people like you mentioned, for whom it is all that they have, and I sympathize with them. But I think most of these pet crazies are just annoying kooks.

Here's another example. I wrote a letter to the real estate section of the paper with a question about pets and co-ops. In the letter I asked about the penalties for breaking the co-op's "no pets" rule. I mentioned that I would get rid of the cat if I had to, but that I didn't want to.

About three months later I get a letter from some lady Ive never heard of from Brooklyn, which went something like this:

"Dear piece of ****,

You don't deserve to have an animal companion. If you could just "get rid of him", as you said, I think you are the one that should be "gotten rid of."

I hope you get anthax and die you piece of ****."

And this was right in the middle of that whole anthrax-in-the-mail thing! That was pretty kooky, wouldn't you say? Actually, it was kind of scary.

And just for the record, I didn't mean that I would "get rid of" my cat in the permanent sense. It's just that I look at him as more of an easy going roommate than an essential part of my life.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:11 pm
That was a pretty nasty reply. She probably wrote it from the funny farm.
0 Replies