Portugal!

Ceili

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 03:33 pm
@hingehead,
Sounds like a great trip so far. Thanks for the update.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:15 pm
@hingehead,
Listening, happy you love it there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:56 pm
@hingehead,
Good to hear from you, hinge!
Really pleased that you & mrs h are having such a wonderful time.
I am so envious!

More reports, please!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:51 pm
Sad to hear that Restaurant Shis in Porto was washed into the see in the new years storms.

http://www.jn.pt/paginainicial/pais/concelho.aspx?Distrito=Porto&Concelho=Porto&Option=Interior&content_id=3618353

(in Portuguese, but Chrome users will get the 'translate' option)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 06:15 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Yep, I'm in Portugal we had five days in Lisbon and then a week of hiking in and around the Alenjento coast (absolutely marvellous). Now in faro, we transfer tomorrow to a town I've just forgotten - too much red wine and vino verde - where will gradually walk to sagres and the 'end of the world'.

Portugal is the most Amazing secret of southern Europe. The people are delightful, scenery grand and the food and bebidas cheap as chips even with 23% vat.

Very laid back lifestyle from an outsiders perspective.

Grelhado, porch preto, cartuxe. And bootleg strawberry tree grappa, fond of ginja and boot as too. Have eaten every kind of mollusc the sea has, but haven't tried the caceiros yet. Even had frogs legs at 100 manueros in Lisbon, they didn't tell us till after we the them. Dried cod on pegs on. Miniature washing line was way cute and tasty. Wildflowers and cliffs beaches on rota vicentina a site. Pics eventually. My Portuguese is apalling fala inglese? But have never had a problem being understood. Love this country!

Glad you had a great time Hingehead ! Wink
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 12:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Still remember it fondly Fil - can't believe how bad my spell check was.

That last report back was from Faro - we did walk to Sagres. Spent a few days at Pedralva (a resurrected rural village) then spent 5 days based at the wonderful Vilacampina exploring the South East. Before making our way north to Evora (where we met a Portuguese/Australian working at out accomodation) had some amazing meals and met a wonderful couple at the tiny 8 seated restaurant Tasquinha do Oliveira - who gave us recommendations for a restaurant at Tomar.

We couldn't find the restaurant in Tomar, but when we asked the concierge for a recommendation he suggested the hotel restaurant - we looked doubtful and told him the restaurant that had been recommended to us he perked up and explained that it wasn't so much a restaurant as an 'irregular gastronomic event' that was pretty much invite only - but now he had a picture of what sort of dining we were after and gave us an address and name of another restaurant.

It was a small place, run by a young couple - wife front of house, husband, of North African descent, chef. Bloody wonderful without being wanky.

Ate there twice and gushed to them.

Then up to the Sierra de Estrela. The central mountain range that rises up to the clouds form a flat plain. Mrs Hinge terrified because I kept doing sneaky peaks of the view while driving. She'd found the Casa Das Penhas Douradas for us to stay in - apparently it's a ski resort, but still open in summer. By now it's early June and we hiked - most amazing wildflowers above the treeline and we walked for hours never seeing a trace of another human being (except for old stone shepherd huts). Just beautiful.

Then back on the road exploring the North West spent time in Caminha, Valenca, Viana do Castelo and Braga - before time in the Douro valley (based in Tabucao) and eventually four fantastic days in Porto staying with Carmen & Joao at the Guest House Douro

Portugal was just fantastic. Probably my ultimate fave of southern Europe so far (all of it has been great (Italy, Spain, France, Cyprus) ) it's just a pity we only have one life and so much to see - I don't imagine we'll ever return. Sniff.
0 Replies