God, science and the imagination

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 10:08 pm
One of my students wrote a paper arguing that the widespread conception of an angry god was not constructive.

I never liked the childishness of so many of the god images and actions: flooding the world, throwing thunderbolts and humans who angered him, etc.

But, perhaps, god is vindictive because man has done all the wrong things. Perhaps, if there is a creator, he meant for man not to use fossil fuels. Perhaps, he meant for man to use the power of the mind to transport himself.

Perhaps, he meant for man to use solar power.

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 10:49 pm
@plainoldme,
perhaps "God" is a plot gimmick.

I was always amused about the Bible in that it explained in detail what wrath Jehovah was always about. He would be out there smiting and bringing low, BUT, I dont recall much about what all the reasons were that makes him pissed off.

Disobeying his orders?
making a graven image?
Maybe just a token smoting but this Jehovah character was waay worse than some of our A2K anger management candidates. Hecould have used some chemical mellowing agents.(cf Ketchup council)
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 11:36 pm
@farmerman,
I love it! God as a plot gimmick! Brilliant!
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 11:52 pm
@plainoldme,
Ever see Shamalyans movie "The Village"? His "Gods" were best used for controlling curiosity.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 12:51 am
@plainoldme,
Even as a child I truly despised the expresion, "I'll put the fear of god in you." I always thought, if god really is love, why should I have any fear at all? Silly thing to say.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 05:22 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

perhaps "God" is a plot gimmick.

OMG! God IS Keyser Soze!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 05:48 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
One of my students wrote a paper arguing that the widespread conception of an angry god was not constructive.
God cannot be anything other than a reflection of the mind that makes it.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 11:49 pm
@rosborne979,
Good one
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 11:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That is what my student had to say. Why does man create a violent god?
0 Replies