BBC Documentary series on the differences in how boys and girls learn

Mame

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:57 pm
This was a fabulous documentary showing how boys and girls are wired differently. I'd like to find it so I'm going to give a short recap of it in case anyone has seen it and remembers what it was called or how I could find it. I've been googling for 10 minutes and can't find it anywhere.

They started off in kindergarten and followed this class through high school, so it took a number of years. They chose kids who hadn't been given gender toys in order to determine if our predelictions for dolls/guns is due to nurture or nature. In the first show, we watched them all run into a play room where plasticine had been put on tables. All the little boys wound up stabbing the plasticine, mushing it in each other's hair, throwing it across the room, making weapons of sorts, while the girls sat together in groups and made families, houses, etc, and got along very well.

The parents were all surprised because none of the girls had had dolls or prams or tea sets, and none of the boys had been given trucks or guns, etc to play with.

It ended up with the kids in high school, and narrated the difficulties some of the boys were having. Talked about how school was geared to teach to girls, not boys, and how the boys did better when partnered with a girl in science classes, etc.

Bad summary, but it's been a few years since I saw it and I would love to get a copy of the series.

Does anyone remember it or has anyone even seen it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,583 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:31 pm
@Mame,
Don't know about the documentary, but this might be the project that it was about.

http://www-rba.educ.cam.ac.uk/

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:56 pm
@Mame,
I'd love to know so I'm bookmarking.

I looked around but couldn't find it based on your description.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:13 pm
Could it be the Up series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Up_(documentary)
Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 07:19 am
@Butrflynet,
No, but thanks for trying. I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 07:20 am
@Ceili,
No, I saw that one and it's not it, either. I don't know that I ever saw the name of the series, which is the problem, but it was so good.
0 Replies

gusc39

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 08:41 pm
I believe the name of the documentary was "The Difference between Boys and Girls", It was about the difference between the male and female brain and how they learn differently. Females can be taught by reading to them or by speech, male learn by graphic demonstration\schematics, females use both sides of the brain in hearing and can listen to more then one conversation at one time, males listen from the left side of the brain and can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Co-ed education retards male learning. I have tried many times to recover this documentary but failed. It was made in England by a University
Mame

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2021 09:30 pm
@gusc39,
It was such an excellent documentary - I'd love o watch it again.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 01:37 am
If you google “Geoff Hannan Education,” you will find a link to the main contributor to the documentary.

When I was teaching in Essex he came to the school on an inset day to talk about approaches that encourage both boys and girls.

He was very good.
Mame

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 01:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank you, izzy - I'll check that out.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 02:00 pm
@izzythepush,
I've emailed him. Thanks so much for the information.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 02:06 pm
@Mame,
It was a long time ago when I saw him, but he was very good, very entertaining.

A lot of what he said rang true.
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 12:15 am
@izzythepush,
hey izzy... this is his response:

Yes I recall this... so many years ago! Totally forgotten about it.... I will see if I can find a copy! If, in the meantime you have any luck locating please let me know.
Thanks for the contact.
Regards
Geoff

So it WAS him - you are absolutely brilliant. He'd be able to find a copy of that more than I would so I really hope he finds one. I will def share it if he does send me a link or whathaveyou. OMG - after all these years... And to think he had "totally forgotten about it"!!! And this took only one evening - amazing.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 12:41 am
@Mame,
I think it’s just a bit of good luck. I remember the seminar very well and if I hadn’t seen the documentary before we were all told about it.

Can’t remember if I did or not.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 09:16 am
@Mame,
One thing that stuck out from the seminar was the hand brain trick.

A crude and simplistic way of looking at whether or not you have a Male or female brain is to look at your hand.

Hold your hand up and look at the first three fingers. If your index and ring fingers are roughly the same length you have a female brain. If they are different lengths you have a Male brain.

One important factor is that the differences are true generally, people are individuals, and there will always be people who behave differently.

I’ll give an example from my own life. How money is spent is linked to gender. Generally speaking in a couple, the woman would be responsible for day to day spending, groceries and such. The man would be responsible for expensive items, the car, computer, electronics.

That is only true generally. The majority of Male/Female couples spend their money like that, but there are still a lot of others who don’t. When my wife was alive I did the shopping and she handled the big purchases.

Understanding gender difference is a bit like an impressionist painting, it only makes sense when you stand back.
0 Replies