Religion is not

Hjarloprillar

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 07:05 am
@Setanta,
But my arrogance is valid.
And i propose i have read more books . and have greater command of english.. than is imagined in ones philosophy.
It is a truism that detractors always attack the poster. never the idea.
thats you

prill
fresco

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 02:37 am
@Hjarloprillar,
Quote:
It is a truism that detractors always attack the poster. never the idea.

Have you actually thought about that generalization, or indeed your opening one about "what religion is" ?

Why not start with the hypothesis of "self" as a social construction, such that its integrity requires belief in a supernatural being which it acquired from others via the socialization process. It then attempts to cope with with inconsistencies of accounts by dismissing them as "stories", but that "independent self" still has a requirement to account for "its existence" by appeal to what it mistakes to be a non-social concept of a "creator".

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:02 am
@Hjarloprillar,
To arrogate is to take or claim for oneself without right, and therefore, by definition can never be valid. To attempt a feeble reference to Hamlet may gratify your aforementioned conceit, but it doesn't abbrogate the charge against your poor English. You've read more books than whom? You have a better command of English than whom? It was you who started prancing about proclaiming the excellence of your understanding, and doing so in bad English. For me to take note of how poor your English is, and your conceit is hardly an attack. It is completely relevant to your silly posturing, so it is a direct comment on the idea you put forth.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:24 am
@Hjarloprillar,
Osso
Quote:
but I don't see religion as by definition awful for society since I've seen much good from it. Do I have to add I've seen much bad? Maybe I'll say religion is as religion does. Some of the do gooding is point making for heaven (etc.) gaining, but I know not all of it; some probably a combo. Religion is a force for stability and comfort for many

And, why shouldn't it be? We are on this Earth once... We belong to ourselves and should be ourselves, try to compromise with those that enter our lives...But, if it makes someone happy to feel that they are Religious and doing good, then so be it, it is a comfort for those people.

I personally, also believe in "a god" but not religion.. As some know here, I think so much is man made, including the war...

Man makes alot of changes to this Earth that isn't warranted... Through greed..

Hjarloprillar, I am sure you are no wiltering flower. But you remind me of others here, who start something and want to argue, put people down... I'd say you don't know anything about humanity, even though you talk of wars perhaps you are one that would create one.

No offense, I don't intend to argue with you and I know you are going to tell me to get off your thread, but pftttt... It's a Forum, that means we can speak.

What got me? Is this comment...apart from being rude to Osso...

Quote:
One thread i started on determinism went for 9 months and 263 pages.

Do you wish for us to clap? Just curious.

Was this the purpose of this thread? To get people to dispute you so you could have another score?

I've given my comment .... And then some... There was a thread about do you have to have the last word?

Yeck no... Just once is enough for me, but you may go ahead. 70 odd posts in total suggest you like stiring the pot... Which is also trollish, or opinionated.

I do get mad when people just think they can type away of someone's opinion and tell them to get off, if they aren't good enough to "you". Unless you are God himself, I'd say you are up yourself quite frankly.

I just don't get people who start an interesting thread that people can make their call only to be told they are wrong and to get lost.

Hjarloprillar

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:25 am
@Setanta,
nowhere did i use term
"command of english language"
I said . greater command.
Which shifts the question 180 degrees

maybe you are cross connecting threads. a warpath as it were.

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:39 am
@Hjarloprillar,
In your post at the top of this page . . .

You wrote:
and have greater command of english.

So, command of english there meant what? An exceptional skill at pocket billiards? If you did not refer to the English language, than what sort of "english" [sic] did you refer to? Your geometry is no better than your English.

There's no "warpath" here, i don't recall having ever responded to one of your posts at all, before this thread.
0 Replies

Hjarloprillar

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 03:41 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Soul
Read the posts. I have no interest in personal agendas

AND NO.. I ILL NOT SAY GET OFF MY THREAD
i ask FOR HOSNESTY

This is the problem.
So many are at odds with eachother that the big picture.
OUR PURPOSE
Is forgotten

At so early a stage in our species. maybe finding a purpose IS our purpose
This all seems quite logical to me.
Any who cannot understand me.. well. I dont seem to have any problems at MIT lectures or more importantly.. parties

sic
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2011 04:27 am
@Hjarloprillar,
Ok...

I can not take back that I thought you were rude to Osso.

However, I did look at a few of your posts. I am also from the 60's and I noticed how someone did to you, as you did to Osso which has also been done to me, I think it's called being a newby...

But, I don't stoop to that level, rather say, "ever made a mistake? " or "is that how you treat a newby? " Otherwise you come across as cocky and know it all and well, rude.

I can see that you would like things to be different in this World.. That you wish that people could see sense, but you know, you can't CHANGE the World, it's not possible, let alone a person unless they want to...

Sometimes, what you find interesting, fascinating, will remain the way you see it, wish as you will.

But again, as you can see I agreed with Osso, it's your thread, we are somewhat simular in age and people respect ...

My thoughts are if someone disses me, doesn't agree I just go PFTTTTTTTT

And carry on... It's life is it not?

We aren't mean't to... always....
0 Replies