Religion is not

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 06:56 am
Religion is not 'god'
Religion is a story about what could be god.

This means a lot. Many have blind faith. In the story.
When i say i believe in 'a' god but not a religion.
They get confused and angry.

I wish.. our education system taught people to think.

Prill

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,330 • Replies: 27
No top replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 09:32 am
@Hjarloprillar,
Bingo. Hjarloprillar, you hit the nail square on the head with that one. I've had these thoughts since I could think for myself.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 10:13 am
(Edited)
Neither of you understands the social function of religion ! Belief in a supernatural being (or beings) can be central to that function.
RexDraconis111

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 12:07 pm
@fresco,
Considering the fact that I don't believe what a lot of people do, and therefore not part of the religious society, I don't need to understand the social function of it.
fresco

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 01:43 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Think again ! Even I, an atheist, cannot escape from the social structures bequeathed to society by organised religion. The timing of national "holidays" alone is sufficient to illustrate that.
Would you refuse to attend religious weddings and funerals ? Do you really see Christians, Jews, Mormons, Moslems etc as equally misguided, or do you have differential empathy for a particular group ?
RexDraconis111

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 02:11 pm
@fresco,
Alright, so I was a tad short-sighted in my response to you. I do understand that religion in any form is important to society. And I got no problem with religion or the religious in general. It's the constant spewing of BS by the hardcore and fanatic religious types that seems to be drowning out the softer-spoken types that I have a problem with. And I say this even despite every negative comment I've ever made on organized religion.
fresco

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 02:29 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Speaking as a Brit, a kaleidoscope of fundamentalist Christianity seems to significantly a US phenomenon. No doubt the relatively short social history of the USA (relative to Europe) combined with the fervor of religious refugees, has contributed to this curiosity.
0 Replies

Hjarloprillar

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 03:21 pm
@fresco,
Rex. I was once invited to a wedding.
I ended up in a church and when all the catholics went to their knees.
i was left upright.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees
[very catch 22]

Prill
Hjarloprillar

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 03:35 pm
@fresco,
Fresco
Maybe it is not mentioned for it is a given?
IE: any fool knows it.
You imagine i, or others do not know the function of religion.?
that is true arrogance.

All your posts accrete..
To an interesting perspective
keep it up
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 03:37 pm
Well, there is a fundamentalist phenomenon going on in the u.s., granted. But we're surely not the first people from whom intolerance from religion has happened in history.
As many here know, I'm a sans theism person, a-theist, but I don't see religion as by definition awful for society since I've seen much good from it. Do I have to add I've seen much bad? Maybe I'll say religion is as religion does. Some of the do gooding is point making for heaven (etc.) gaining, but I know not all of it; some probably a combo. Religion is a force for stability and comfort for many.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
@Hjarloprillar,
I've some long experience with catholicism. Even in the fifties, non catholics being at catholic services were not expected to participate in the postural moves.
After I left but still went to wedding masses and funerals of loved ones, I just sat.
No big deal.
Hjarloprillar

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
postural moves?

"[Even in the fifties, non catholics being at catholic services were not expected to participate in the postural moves.]"
Catholics are so generous. better than burnt alive on stake.
no?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 04:36 pm
@Hjarloprillar,
You're hostile in a way I've been myself, especially re catholicism, so I won't just dump on your views.

On postural moves, I thought it was nice wording myself. I've not kneed for many decades. You mis-take me.
Hjarloprillar

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Dump away.

Im no wilting flower. You need to be damned good to even come close to some of the peeps i've argued with.
One thread i started on determinism went for 9 months and 263 pages.

we could start one now.. Determinism 'IS' and 'is not.'
Smile

Prill

ps hostile...
pah.. any reference to what church does or has done is hostile and vindictive... TELL THAT TO THE BURNING ONES.
Thats not hostile.. thats Honesty
No-one complains when Nazi's are executed.. 50 years later.
If i had torquemada in my grasp
I'd have his scrotum pushed down his throat.

[All evil needs to succeed. is for good men to do nothing.
And the lord made. The .357 magnum. thy rod and staff.]

Smile
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 11:00 pm
@Hjarloprillar,
Ah, well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 11:09 pm
@Hjarloprillar,
Why would I argue with you - you are doing your own spectrum, re which I have no interest.
You are pretty excited about all this, while some of us are bored. Look anew at your own title.
Hjarloprillar

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 05:55 am
@ossobuco,
I am excited.???
wow i did not notice.
What does or does not interest you is of no concern.
This is about a topic . not you

my title? hjarloprillar or Religion is not?
be specific.
The issue is Religion is not [what god is]
Hjarloprillar is from a book. She is an aspie of titanic proportion.
This IS a aspie forum. no?

talk sense or go away

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 06:04 am
@Hjarloprillar,
No, it is not an "aspie" forum.
Hjarloprillar

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 06:41 am
@Setanta,
My bad

All this time i thought i was talking to other aspies.
Now i know why my standards were to high.
Aspergers syndrome. Is a dysfunctional label for those who have a skill of focus.
It is labeled a mania. but it is 'funny enough' exactly what our social system wants. People who do one thing very well.

Me.. Im a aspie genaralist. a rare critter.
In past times.. we were 'jack of all trades' That is where it comes from, aspie generalism. An held in high esteem by all.
I know my providence [areligious]

do you . [even have one]

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 06:51 am
@Hjarloprillar,
Do you believe you have command of the English language? Your conceit is charming.