An Emotion Theory

JHuber

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 11:27 pm
Relations can be composed of units, objects or subjects. Objects have no emotional ramifications, subjects can. The relations of units is mathematics. The relations of objects is engineering. The relations of subjects is an emotion theory/worldview.

http://subjectsandrelations.com/SUBJ3.jpg

Some of these items are not in the diagram, not everything can be drawn.

Subject - a cross-utilized unit of a relation
Relation - more than one subject combined together
Extrinsic Subject - subject given to a relation
Intrinsic Subject - subject contained in a relation
Right - if a subject is within an extrinsic subject
Wrong - if a subject is not within an extrinsic subject
Possession - if an intrinsic subject is within a subject
Good - what increases a relation
Bad - what hinders or decreases a relation
Horror - excessive Bad
Serious - being within an extrinsic subject, also known as relevant
Silly - happiness that is not within an extrinsic subject
Crazy - if an extrinsic subject is ambiguous
Confusion - if the choice of an extrinsic subject is ambiguous
Value - direction of a relation
Like - to share Values

Happiness - occurs if subjects combine and form a relation. There are five different types of happiness. In order to include non-social relations in these definitions, the generic term combination is used symbolized with the letter 'C'.

1stC - occurs when subjects combine and a relation is formed. Here the extrinsic subject is created. The terms 'more' and 'less' do not apply with 1stC. It is very important to clarify that with 1stC one does not say, "Happiness is the combination of subjects," but, "Happiness occurs if subjects combine and form a relation."

2ndC - occurs when subjects are combined to an existing relation. Here the extrinsic subject already exists. The terms 'more' and 'less' apply with 2ndC. Leverage and contentment exist because of 2ndC.

3rdC - occurs as the back and forth dynamics between relations. Here more than one extrinsic subject is involved.

Leverage - resembles a lever, the relative lowering of a subject in a relation causes the relative increase of the other related subjects. This also is known as antipathetic happiness. Subjects on opposite sides of the lever are antipathetic to each other. An examples of this is kidding.

Contentment - is a relative position a subject has in a relationship. This position is what we mean when we say we are "happy". Another term that applies here is "fashion". Fashion is the active form of contentment. This type of happiness is personal and can be stronger than 1stC. Some sub-emotions of contentment are:

Enjoyment - having what you want (having what gives you contentment) *
Grief - not having what you want *
Frustration - not getting what you want
Anger - extreme Frustration
Distress - having what you don't want*
Relief - not having what you don't want*

Unhappiness is, of course, the converse but with separation instead of combination.

Sorry - empathetic Unhappiness
Regret - the action toward Sorry
Gratitude - the action toward antipathetic Happiness
Forgive - declaring Unhappiness to be irrelevant
Blame - declaring Unhappiness to be relevant
Nervous - anticipation of a combination
Shy - extreme Nervousness
Worry - anticipation of a separation
Concern - mild Worry
Fear - extreme Worry
Terror - extreme Fear
Anxiety - general term for Nervous, Shy, Worry, Concern, Fear or Terror

Pride - above Contentment
Shame - below Contentment
Dignity - empathetic Pride
Arrogance, Conceit - extreme Dignity
Honor - the action toward Dignity
Jealousy - antipathetic Pride
Envy - the action toward Jealousy
Respect - antipathetic Pride related to Fashion
Admiration - the action toward Respect
Modesty - empathetic Shame
Humility - the action toward Modesty
Pity - antipathetic Shame
Contempt - extreme Pity
Disgust - the action toward Pity

Expectation - future Contentment
Hope - the action toward Expectation (to want a future Contentment)
Standard - past Contentment
Surprise - empathetically or antipathetically above Standard or Expectation
Embarrassment - empathetically below Standard or Expectation
Disappointment - antipathetically below Standard or Expectation
Ecstatic - extreme Surprise
Sadness - extreme Disappointment or Embarrassment
Hate - extreme antipathy
Love - extreme empathy
Miss - absent empathy

Axiom: Extrinsic subjects can never be related intrinsic subjects. Such an event would instantly cause a new extrinsic subject to exist. This is called "The League Rule" or "The Authority Rule."

Axiom: Related subjects do not combine for the same reason that unrelated subjects do not separate. This is called "The Base Rule". It is a significant factor in physical morality.

*The definitions for Enjoyment, Grief, Distress and Relief are from I. Roseman 1984. Cognitive determinants of emotion: a structured theory. In P. Shaver (ed.), Review of personality and social psychology (Vol. 5: Emotions, relationships, and health). Beverly-Hills: Sage, 11-36.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,159 • Replies: 11
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 11:34 pm
@JHuber,
Quote:
Subject - a cross-utilized unit of a relation

This means human being, right?
fresco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 12:41 am
@JHuber,
Q. What would be a critical test* of your "theory" ?
If such a test could be specified it would move your concept from an ad hoc word game to an explanatory tool.
Note that Freud's "theory" was criticized for failing *Popper's "refutability in principle" test.
JHuber

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 11:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This means human being, right?

Yes, of course. Human being is a subject and we are all related together in that subject. The word "subject" can be cross-utilized for any generalization or category.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:30 am
@JHuber,
Your chart has no meaning; it only identifies some of the possibilities. Even what one calls psychological science requires understanding the individual's subjective nature. A chart doesn't begin to explain why, where, when, and what influences the individual's actions and persona.
0 Replies

JHuber

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:30 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Q. What would be a critical test* of your "theory" ?

Subjects and relations theory isn't technically a theory. A theory is an explanation of why an event occurs. I'm not trying to explain why emotions occur, this is a system for how emotions are related together. I sometimes call it a theory because if it were in academic psychology it would fall under the category of emotion theory. As you know, sometimes words get abused.

It is not possible to disprove the fundamentals of this system as I didn't invent the words subjects or relations. However, I will admit that associating happiness and unhappiness with combination and separation is a small leap. Once that leap is made all one does is fit the rest of it together.

I am open to discuss any of its components if you like. Whenever I find a problem with it I simply change it.
0 Replies

JHuber

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:35 am
Here is Robert Plutchik's theory (1980):

http://www.fractal.org/Bewustzijns-Besturings-Model/Nature-of-emotions.htm
fresco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 01:44 am
@JHuber,
Pretty ! Smile

I've not read the details of this, but the use of the word "dimensionality" is often statistically associated with factor analysis...a method of determining the minimum number of "explanatory dimensions" required to account for data. This would be in line with the Occam's Razor principle and would serve to give a firmer structure to otherwise ad hoc semantic polarities.(See also prototype theory with respect to semantic metrics)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 02:02 am
@JHuber,
I'm just wondering (from the top of my "head"): Why are some people prone to enjoy as entertainment scary movies such as Psycho? It was a very popular movie. When I first saw it, I can't say I enjoyed it, but was frightened enough that I had to walk out of the theater to the lobby.
JHuber

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 12:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
As with drama, horror movies are dependent on anxiety. Anxiety is the emotional equivalent of anticipation. We like to anticipate what will happen.
0 Replies

JHuber

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 12:49 am
@fresco,
All dimensionality means is a different way of measuring something, a different way of making a relation.

In reference to Plutchik's model, it may be pretty but it couldn't possibly be true. First of all it doesn't include happiness.

Also, consider some of the opposites that it proposes:
ecstasy is the opposite of grief,
admiration is the opposite of loathing,
terror is the opposite of rage,
amazement is the opposite of vigilance.

Other claims it makes are:
love is the combination of ecstasy and admiration,
submission is the combination of admiration and terror,
awe is the combination of terror and amazement,
disapproval is the combination of amazement and grief,
remorse is the combination of grief and loathing,
contempt is the combination of loathing and rage,
aggressiveness is the combination of rage and vigilance,
optimism is the combination of vigilance and ecstasy.

Also, it doesn't claim that love is the opposite of hate or pride is the opposite of shame. It doesn't mention jealousy, humility, pity, nervousness, worry, shy, embarrassment and a whole slew of others that can be done with subjects and relations.

The only claim of his that I would agree with is the second one, admiration is the opposite of loathing.
0 Replies

JHuber

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 01:09 am
I've decided to change the definition of subject in this theory and also to include entity and concept. The first four lines shall now be:

Subject - an abstraction for or in a relation

Relation - more than one subject combined together

Entity - tangible subject

Concept - intangible subject
0 Replies