Anger Management/ What Some People Will Do For A Beer!

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:30 pm
"Texan Killed Friend Who Drank Last Cold Beer
Fri Dec 6,10:15 AM ET

BANDERA, Texas (Reuters) - A jury on Thursday handed a life prison sentence to a Texas man who shot and killed a longtime friend he accused of drinking the last beer in his refrigerator.

Jurors deliberated for less than two hours before passing the sentence on Steven Brasher, 42, for the murder of Willie Lawson, 39, on Nov. 5 last year.

"There was only two beers left, so I took one, and I told Willie not to take my last beer," Brasher said in a taped statement that was played during the trial.

Testimony showed Brasher shot Lawson in the head with a pistol after the two began arguing over the missing beer. Brasher maintained the shooting was an accident. "

Although I found this story amusing in a bizarre way, I think that it points out the lack of self control, and anger management, that is displayed by some people. In this example, there were deadly consequences.

What is it about this society that we hear so much about behavior like Road Rage, gross inappropriateness and impoliteness, and a pervasive lack of respect for the rights and feelings of other people?

What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,072 • Replies: 13
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:41 pm
Well Phoenix it is Tejas not the real world!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:54 pm
Joanne- But how different is it than the guy who gets shot because he has cut someone off in traffic? Or the person who "discusses" politics (on an unnamed other forum :wink: ) by stating no facts, but simply belittling people?

I think that this story, although absurd in its intensity, merely illustrates what I perceive as an extremely disturbing trend in our society. What I am driving at is a general disrespect for the rights of other people, together with people's inability to comport themselves in a civilized manner, and to control their baser drives.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:47 am
Brings me into thinking of an incident sometime in September some place in the States. Seem there was this m/cist, waiting at a red light, on his bike & revving up the engine to make more nose from his loud exhaust pipe, the cage (slang of a m/cist for a car/truck) driver yells out for m/cist to cut down the noise only m/cist makes it even worse. Seems they both had some bits of trouble with the cage wanting to pudh the m/cist off the road. Finally stopped & the m/cist is off his bike & starts to tongue lash the cage driver only the driver gets out & shoots him in the chest. Ended that immediate matter, but feel the cage driver receive 8 yrs in jail. Some people simply have no sense or patience.
As a fellow m/cist I know to NEVER argue with cage drivers or even stupid enough to give them the finger. I am, without question, the polite m/cist that will give you the wave to go ahead when it comes to a questionable matter as who has the right of way or will give a small salute when a cage driver almost rolls onto the road, but halts once they see me on my m/c. Yes I am thankful that drivers actually have the eyes to see the almost invisible narrow m/cs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:07 am
Smitty- Tragic story, and it illustrates the kind of adolescent mentality that seems to be becoming more pervasive in our society.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:20 pm
Phoenix I guess Texas is a little different as everyone carries concealed hand guns. It if very easy to obtain a license to carry in Texas and is expected. My favorite Texas gun story is from the summer of 2000.

It was extremely hot and very little rain. drought conditions in fact. The apartment owners put in retaining walls throughout the complex and the workers ruined all the grass. We do not have automatic sprinklers and to get the grass going again I watered almost every evening. On one evening, it was still light out a toddler I would guess about 2-3 years was all dressed up in white shorts and shoes on his way to his grand mother's house he said. I cautioned him about the mud little good that did. At one point when I saw his little outfit splattered with mud and his white shoes covered with mud I said to him, oh no you mother is going to kill me to which the lad replied not now the gun is in the car!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 02:07 pm
Joanne- Here in Florida, you can buy a pistol. There is a concealed weapons course that you have to take to keep the weapon hidden. At one time I was vaguely considering buying a gun, but I never got around to it. Where I live it is very safe, but if I were alone, I think that I would buy a pistol, especially for protection when I am travelling in a car.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:24 pm
first of all, if someone took my last beer, esp on a mass blue law day when you can't buy any, the first thing i would think about would be to kill him. but i won't own a gun so i'd make him drive to NH to replace it. ;-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:29 pm
mikey52- Now THERE'S a creative solution! Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 05:26 pm
Whoa, I just noticed this thread. There are some wacky people out there, eh?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:31 pm
Jes- When I was working in a mental health setting, I was more fearful of the people out in the streets than my clients. Shocked
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:53 pm
My last beer, almost.

It was after I stopped drinking. I was at a friends house who I wanted to stop - almost 12 years ago. It started raining hard, very hard. He was ready to pass out - and on his way to bed he mockingly reminded me there was a six pack in the ice box.

I said, "What me, don't worry". I sat there in that chair, listening to the deluge and then it started - thinking about that beer. One would be okay, but then I'd have to have two - which of course is okay and then that means the six pack would be gone. That would end my problem, right?

More thinking, well if I had a six pack then I would have to have more and I would get up from this chair and go to the store to get more no matter rain or sleet or snow! So, then (luckily) reason entered the picture and I said to myself - "If this be the truth then remove my butt right now and go in the rain while I was still sober." I then fell asleep and awoke the next morning with a beautiful sun and sober!

So goes my last beer, almost!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 08:39 pm
Very recently they changed the law in Texas that you could not drink while driving. The old law was that you could drink and drive as long as you were not over the limit. In Texas don't even think of going to get gas when the construction guys are on their way home. They all stop and get a 40 for the trip.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:12 pm
Well, that's a sure sign people with little self control and guns don't mix and match.
I just wonder, if this guy gets convicted, and gets tossed into jail fer a couple of years to 'cool off'... He's not liable to get any beer then, right? So Mr. Texan just made sure by solving a fight over his missing beer the messy way, he's probably not gonna be getting any (beer) for a long time to come... sobering thought. Literally.
0 Replies