physics laws

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:06 pm
can someone PLEASE Question Exclamation help me understand boyle's law, charles's law, archimedes' principle, pascal's principle and bernoulli's principle, and the venturi effect...help!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,540 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:01 pm
Oy!

You are asking for a semester's physics class here.

I would suggest you search for good information that is already on the web. You can search as well as we can. I would suggest

http://www.google.com

If you have any specific questions we would be happy to help you.

By the way.... Does anyone know what "Cole's law" is? (Come on y'all, you know you want to ask...)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:14 pm
Boyle's Law states that under conditions of constant temperature and quantity, there is an inverse relationship between the volume and pressure for an ideal gas.

Boyle's Law Calculator
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:16 pm
Good Explanation of Boyle's Law
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:18 pm
Jacques Charles investigated the relationship between the Volume of a gas and how it changes with temperature. He noted that the volume of a gas increased with the temperature. Charles's Law states that the volume of a given amount of dry ideal gas is directly proportional to the Kelvin Temperature provided the amount of gas and the pressure remain fixed. When we plot the Volume of a gas against the Kelvin temperature it forms a straight line. The mathematical statement is that the V / T = a constant. For two sets of conditions the following is a math statement of Charles's Law:

V1 / T1 = V2 / T2

Charles's Law
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:23 pm
As far as I can tell pascal's principle refers to the non-compressibility of fluids, but I've never studied that. I haven't done physics, just chemistry, so I've only used the gas ones.
0 Replies

giantpiazza31

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 08:28 pm
hey thanx, but please, what i really don't understand is bernoulli's principle
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:19 pm
Bernoulli's Principle

I've never studied it, but it doesn't look too difficult. It's the reason that an aeroplane wing works, or why a cricket ball that's been shined on one side swings.

That's enough thinking for me today. I'm gonna sit down and watch the Australia Day cricket match. Good luck.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:48 pm
Think of it this way: the leading edge of the wing cuts the air in half (conceptually speaking). Half of the air travels over the wing, half under. Because the air travelling over the wing has more distance to travel to reach the trailing edge of the wing, it gets stretched out -- thinner. The air on the bottom of the wing is compressed, because it follows a shorter path. So the air bunched up underneath the wing pushes it upward.

(This isn't really the way it happens, but the visualization might be helpful in understanding the principle.)
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 10:22 pm
The best way to visualize Bernoulli's principle is a shower curtain. When you are taking a shower, the air velocity inside the shower is higher than the air velocity outside the shower (because of the velocity of the falling water). Bernoulli observed that preesure and velocity are related to each other - as the velocity in a system increases the pressure decreases. The air inside of your shower is moving with the falling water, so the pressure in your shower is slightly less than the pressure outside of the shower - so the shower curtain is "pulled" into the shower by the lower pressure.

As for an airplane's wing: if you look at a cross section of a wing, it is flat across the bottom and curved upward across the top. Suppose an airplane is taxiing down a runway at 50 mph. The air is passing under the wing (flat part) at 50 mph. But the air is passing over the wing at slightly more than 50 mpg, because it has farther to go, because the upper part of the wing is curved. The higher velocity of the air above the wing means that the air pressure above the wing is slightly less than the air pressure below the wing = lift. The faster the airplane taxiis, the more lift is produced, until the plane is able to take off.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:02 pm
Make yourself a venturi,

Take two plastic drinking straws.
Cut the end of one off at an angle.
Make a hole (a hot skewer will work on most "thermosetting" plastics) about the middle of one straw.
stick the angled end of the other straw into the hole to form a "tee". "Leave it free to rotate if you can.
Set the "leg" of the tee in a glass of water and blow into one of the "arms" of the "tee".

What happens?--Why?
Is it a mechanical adaptation of Bernoullis principle? (Imagine a pipe through a wing)

Useful to know about--you bet.

You find them many places, carburetors, perfume spritzers, air brushes, water pumps, faucet aeriators amongst others.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 07:44 pm
Cole's Law is shredded cabbage.
0 Replies

giantpiazza31

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 08:28 pm
lol
lol Very Happy Smile Cool Laughing
0 Replies

giantpiazza31

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 12:53 pm
thanks for helping me, though it wasn't homework ( i was having trouble understanding the concepts) i got a 98 on that test!
0 Replies