Cooking with Microwaves ~ Wattage

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:12 pm
What is the easiest way to determine what your microwave wattage is? (Without having the owners manual at hand and having it one that is installed)
I have often found myself reading directions to cook items based on wattage and said to myself - how the heck do I know?
Am I the only one that looks at it's size and takes a guess? I mean really- a few minutes and I'll know if its cooked or not....but still. Argh.
The more microwaves I come into contact with the more this question eats at my mind and I wonder if I should start a petition to have all microwave manufacturers be required to etch the wattage on front or something.
Maybe it's just me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 12,549 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:21 pm
@PandaFan,
If you no longer have the owner's manual, call the customer service number for the manufacturer. If it's not printed anywhere on your microwave oven, go online and find the manufacturer's website. Using those two devices -- phone and computer -- has always worked for me.
engineer

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:22 pm
@PandaFan,
Almost all microwaves will have a UL label, either on the back or inside the door. It will list the wattage.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:25 pm
@PandaFan,
ahhh the PandaFan

(the boys already gave you good directions - I'm just saying hey eh!)
PandaFan

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks - I should make the time to do that at my workplace at some point so that I dont continue to just guess.
I'll probably still guess but- maybe not with the suggestion anyway!
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:30 pm
@engineer,
Okay- I actually got up and looked and yes, it does have the label.
Stupid further question. All I can find on the UL is 1.5 KW and I pulled out my little dinner pot pie that says recommended for 1100 Watt ovens....what am I missing in the translation there? Sigh. Is my oven 1500 Watts?? I'm a silly girl..I need help. Thanks so far-- good stuff.
PandaFan

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Hi honey!!!! Nice to see you..thanks for saying hi...Hi back! Smile
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:40 pm
@PandaFan,
Yes, you can probably heat your pot pie in the 1500 Watt oven (and you're right -- that's what 1.5 Kilowatts means) but adjust the time if the instructions are for 1100 Watts. You'll just have to leave the pie in there for a shorter period is all.
engineer

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:48 pm
@PandaFan,
Another option would be to put the oven power setting to 7 (or 70% or Med-High). That will cycle the power on and off so that you don't get super hot spots.
microwaveguru

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 12:53 pm
@PandaFan,
The response about the UL Label is incorrect - that lists the power draw from the wall - in other words, 1500 watts is not the amount of power that the food sees - it is the amount of power the oven needs to operate. The actual power to the food is about 55 % of that - roughly 825 watts. But that is only a rough estimate for a number of reasons. I suggest you contact the manufacturer. Doing a power output measurement is too complicated for the kitchen. I do them all the time in my lab.
PandaFan

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
wow-- I kind of figured it out - even if I did need help/confirmation...thanks Andrei
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:42 pm
@engineer,
Thanks for the thoughts engineer but I would think calculating at the microwave a bit much...then again, maybe not. I'll think on it and keep it in mind.
0 Replies

PandaFan

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:43 pm
@microwaveguru,
Thanks. That hurt my head. Now I'm just gonna guess and forget about all of it.
0 Replies