De-moldifying an old book

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:56 am
MOLD
osssobuco wrote :"I don't mean that mold is not harmful, just a little wary of recent hyperbole. It has always been with us." ... i thought that i had recently read again in the book "6,000 YEARS BREAD" (i have the german issue - 6.000 JAHRE BROT) about a grainmold (the german name is MUTTERKORN) that swept repeatedly through europe in the middleages and killed probably 100,000's of people. it's a pretty gruesome scourge; people thought they were burning alive. of course now grain is being carefully processed and this kind of a problem can likely not re-occur. just thought it was kind of fascinating how mankind has battled through generations to eliminate "scourges" only to have new ones crop up. you can read about it here >>> ERGOT POISONING
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:04 pm
De-moldifying
Have your tried www.alibris? www.half.com? www.ebay.com?

One excellent source in my area is Brattle Book which is www.brattlebookshop.com
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:17 pm
I checked on Google, and only had about two pages of hits -- those that indicated a book for sale pointed to the (same) Amazon listing.

I just checked Alibris, something popped up for it, got all excited, but then, "Sorry, we don't have that exact item anymore, but we may have others like it." Sad

No go for the other two. (Brattlebookshop url didn't work.)

Thanks for trying, though! :-) The price of the Amazon one makes me think that it'll be expensive if it is in good shape, anywhere. And by definition, I want one that is in good shape (better than mine).

I have one excellent source of rare books, my above-mentioned former boss, current friend. He's found all sorts of things for me. But I was hoping for a quicker fix. <shrugs>
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:50 pm
De-moldifying
OK, try www.brattlebookstore.com instead. I can never remember whether it's "shop" or "store".

And certainly, mold can spread from one book to another, depending on the type of mold, of course. Just look how mildew spreads in a bathroom!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:55 pm
Nope.

I typed "brattle books" on Google, found the site, it requires a password. Can't view without.

Again, though, what I'd hoped is that the book was still in print and that I could get some cheap paperback copy. It's not, all that is out there are old originals, and that is not really what I want even if I can find one.

Thanks, though. Smile
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:56 pm
De-moldifying
You could try writing to the publisher at www.simonandschuster.com . . .
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 06:59 pm
Demoldifying
Sorry - I didn't know Brattle required a password. I usually just email them and ask if they have whatever I'm looking for. They reply pretty quickly, and they do have a marvellous collection.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:03 pm
Demoldifying
I tried, and got the password message, too. I suspect something is wrong with the Brattle site. How on earth would they expect people to do business with them if people can't access the shop?! Confused Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 07:07 pm
Yep, I know! Wink

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I really have an absolutely top-notch source for finding rare books. The main things is that I'm not interested right now in getting another old book. It definitely is out of print, and there's not much I can do about that. A new cheapie paperback is exactly what I would like.

Given the impossibility of that, I will work with the one I have, either to clean it up, or make copies. (If I tear out the pages and print them on single large pieces of paper at a time, could probably do it for a somewhat decent price. The book isn't that big.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:24 pm
Just in case you get the urge there Soz.

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=2750873818893&pid=A8148430839

$39.50 Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:26 pm
That fishin', he's such a sweetie! Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:34 pm
lol I've been running into a lot of older books lately and I found that site. Their "Hard to Find" listing is a great resource for checking out out of print books. So far, every book title I've typed in has come back with good results. It's actually an on-line listing of what's on the shelves at hundreds of small book stores all over the US.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:42 pm
Hee hee! Very cool! Very Happy

A bit pricey, still, but hey, it looks like it's mold-free! Smile
0 Replies