The lower class

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 01:46 pm
What ever happened to the term "lower class"? There used to be three economic classes: upper, middle, and lower, but now the lower class is referred to as the working class or even "the poor". Perhaps, to be consistent, we should say, "The working class, the wish they didn't have to work class, and the never have to work class.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 1,856 • Replies: 38

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 01:53 pm
@coluber2001,
I think "lower class" is a derogatory term and rightfully was changed to either
working class or simply "the poor". Being poor doesn't make you a lower class citizen, does it? Heck, even the upper class can be poor, and many times is - they just live off their reputation!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:08 pm
@coluber2001,
It's an ignorant statement, much like the end of your diatribe.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:21 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
It's an ignorant statement, much like the end of your diatribe.
That 's an odd use
of the word: ignorant.

The word means not informed. I am ignorant of who will win the next World Series (and of many other things).
Ceili appears to tacitly imply something MORE than that, something WORSE than that. I dunno what.

David
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:27 pm
Are you trying to inform me that the poor don't work, never want to work and/or never will?
That would make you just as ignorant.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:35 pm
@Ceili,
I'm pretty used to the words lower class and didn't know they were out of favor now - that somehow 'the poor' is better as a descriptive.

Class is a rook in general to me. Many wealthy people are quite stupid in their daily lives and many people of low funds are pretty sharp and even wise.

I qualify easily as lower class in the u.s. but I've a pretty fair education based on the now gone plenitude of a university system that then charged no tuition. I had two reasonably responsible-to-society careers, neither of them big money makers.

Money has for various reasons not meant much to me relative to other matters and I've paid for that lack of drive for money. I happen to have what some would call snotty tastes on top of low money, so I'm a walking talking paradox.

Oh, go ahead, just call me lace curtain irish.
hingehead

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:40 pm
@coluber2001,
The fruit on your table didn't pick itself - and the steak didn't jump of the cow and walk to your house. You're an ass.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:43 pm
@hingehead,
I think you and Ceili are misreading Coluber with your inferences.

On the other hand, I don't know that, haven't read his posts that often.
Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I dunno Osso, I'm reading the black and white just like you. Seems pretty transparent...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:55 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Are you trying to inform me that the poor don't work,
never want to work and/or never will?
That would make you just as ignorant.
No.
I was referring to your use of a word.

David
Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
And I was showing you why it was used correctly.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 02:57 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
And I was showing you why it was used correctly.
Your showing was not successful.
I remain ignorant of Y u wrote it that way.

( I predict a follow-up allegation of STUPIDITY for failure to understand her; we 'll see.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 03:00 pm
@Ceili,
I'll read back on (his) posts - but later - and see if I get a clue. At this point I think his thread post can be taken two ways.

Maybe he'll save us the trouble by explaining.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 03:03 pm
ig·no·rant   [ig-ner-uhnt]
adjective
1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3.uninformed; unaware.
4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 03:09 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
ig·no·rant   [ig-ner-uhnt]
adjective
1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3.uninformed; unaware.
4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.
Thank u. THAT 's my point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 03:40 pm
With a bit of looking, I don't take Coluber's topic post the way Ceili and Hinge do, which didn't make sense to me.
roger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 06:47 pm
@coluber2001,
What we seem to have done is come down to only one class, and that's the middle class. Nobody around here is setting themselves up as a target by calling themselves 'upper class'. Equally obvious is that anyone referring to anyone else as 'low or lower class' is being snobbish, judgemental, or both. Anyway, it's well known that we are all just as good as the other guy. Don't try to tell us otherwise, either.

Actually, I think you are confusing classes with economic groups.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 08:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I suspect, Osso, that this is typical of Coluber - who I must have ignored ages ago and forgotten - I found this new topic via the twitter stream (which doesn't mask the ignored) and it wasn't till I saw his reply to Ceili was ignored that I twigged to his long forgotten trollness. Besides, if Ceili gets her dander up I'm on her side.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree Osso, Can't see anything to get butthurt about in his post, I think they misread.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 08:48 am
@coluber2001,
Acutally I have not heard of the lower class going away. I hear reference to the lower class all the time.

And I consider the middle class as the working class.