Name that studio

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:12 pm
About 10 years ago I moved halfway across the country to oversee operations and assume creative control of a successful photography studio.

About 5 years ago I bought the business but continued to operate it under it's old name.

Now my leases and contracts are close to expiring and I'm thinking that it is time to rename the studio (there are financial considerations involved in this decision).

I would like to spend the next year saying " ______ (studio)" formerly "___________" (We have a good following and a huge mailing list so I don't think it will be hard to make the change.)

I don't want to name it after myself since there are three other photographers that make the studio the studio that it is. And besides, "my name studio" is kind of boring.

We shoot portraits: business, boudoir, seniors, event, family, kids, etc. All photos are taken in the studio though we might expand to location shoots in the future.

Our prices are mid-range, not as cheap as the franchises and chains, not as expensive as the private photographers (even though it is my business the shared space makes it more cost effective).

Have you got any cool or clever ideas for a name?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,636 • Replies: 41
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:21 pm
Picture This
In Focus
Fine Light
Captured Memories

Do you like long/short names you think?

I tend to like something less technically oriented especially for Family/Wedding stuff. Feel the same?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:34 pm
Hi Quinn, those are some interesting ideas.....

Thank you.

I like short names, I think it helps with marketing.

I kind of like those funky Japanese names - happy fun ball, that sort of thing. One of my favorite business names was a local diner named "Quality Pie".

I don't like technical names either - most clients don't care about the technical stuff at all.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:35 pm
How about Great Shots then?

maybe you can open next to Great Cuts (doyouguyshavethoseoutthere) and offer discounts with each other Wink
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:38 pm
Perfect Pics
(I used to like Picture Perfect but, theres already one in each state I think)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:39 pm
"Say Cheese"

LOL
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:42 pm
I think we have "Great Clips". Tie ins are always great!

Actually, I've thought a bit about "Haute Shots" (say: Hot Shots) but it seems a bit contrived.....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:44 pm
yeah, Im not feeling Haute Shots but, I get your idea.

I'll sleep on it and see if I think of anything else. hey, maybe a non-photographer type will come up with something better...we think about it too much.
Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:46 pm
I'm thinking I'm thinking not coming UP with diddly but I'm thinking...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:50 pm
LOL@ Sozobe
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:08 pm
I know how you feel sozobe!

It really is hard.

I want a "Quality Pie" kind of name - you knew exactly what to expect, you knew you would order other stuff just to get to that quality pie. It wasn't all fancy, or punnish, it didn't have to be explained.

Maybe I should just call it "Quality Pie"......

<sigh>

Of course, any name is contingent on what names are not already claimed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:14 pm
well just shoot me.

We had a named business that I and my partners took over. It had a very academic , such an insiders only name that we felt we were losing business to other mining companies with names like Horseheads Minerals or Climax. So we just changed it in 3 steps and we still leave the early name as a tiny line beneath everything .

image this! (only works in NY)
minds eye
looks good limited
movies mags and mugs
clip shots
shootin up the world
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:18 pm
Quality Pic?

Only one tiny little dash off...

Razz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:18 pm
Visage?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:19 pm
Aether is the Roman god of light...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:20 pm
(Like, Aether's Arts or some such thing... a li'l too pretentious. :-?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:23 pm
Seriously... Quality Photos, or Quality Portraits. That so bad?

You can do cool things with "Q"s, graphically speaking.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:26 pm
Especially a Q and a P -- two circles with little trailing tails. Could rather easily be rolls of film.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:41 pm
Hmmmm....

Quality is a good, stong word. You don't hear it used much anymore. Maybe I SHOULD just co-opt it for my own.

I haven't even begun to think graphically yet, soz. Thanks for the heads up and the good idea.

"Looks good" (maybe unlimited) has potential as does "movies", film, that kind of thing since our biggest money maker is boudoir, farmerman.

(Climax mining!? Tee hee - I see how you might lose business to them.)

Your experience is very similar to what I'm talking about, that phase out, phase in thing. I certainly want people to know that we're the same people they've dealt with for the last many years but that we're exapaning our offerings a bit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:12 pm
we did itt in our cards and invoicing and letterhead. We just kept shrinking the old name till its only a teeny note now. It had a very pretentious name before and we all agreed that our market target was not college faculty but minerals companies who traded in metals and pure ores
0 Replies