Naked Walker Completes Trek Across U.K.

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:50 pm
Quote:
'Naked Rambler' Was Arrested 16 Times During 847-Mile Walk

JOHN O'GROATS, Scotland (Jan. 22) - A man walking the length of Britain naked to promote public nudity finally reached his destination Thursday, after spending most of his seven-month odyssey behind bars following complaints from the public.

Stephen Gough, 44, dubbed "the naked rambler" in Britain, reached John O'Groats in far north Scotland just before night fell, cheered on by a group of local residents and welcomed by a large media contingent.

The former Royal Marine was arrested 16 times, made several court appearances and served two jail sentences - spending about 5 months behind bars - during the 847-mile trek from Land's End in southwest England.

Gough began the walk in the British summer of June 2003, wearing just his socks, boots, hat and rucksack.

"When we are children, we run around free and then we go through a process of conditioning where we are taught that our bodies aren't OK, and that's not good for us as human beings."
-Stephen Gough

He persisted despite the delays caused by his repeated arrests and refused to don warmer clothes as he reached northern England and the highlands of Scotland in freezing winter temperatures.

He also declined to dress for the occasion when appearing before judges across the breadth of the country, usually sitting in the dock wrapped in a prison blanket.

There is no law in Britain against public nudity. However, there are laws against indecent exposure - which requires proof of intent to insult a woman - or any behavior likely to cause "harassment, alarm or distress."

Gough said it would take time to reverse public "paranoia" about the human body but he hoped his campaign had been successful.

"My body is part of me and it's not shameful, it's who I am," he said after taking a celebratory sip of champagne.

"When we are children, we run around free and then we go through a process of conditioning where we are taught that our bodies aren't OK, and that's not good for us as human beings," he added. "I don't know if that's a political statement or a statement of fact, but I do think it's very important to feel good about ourselves."

Gough said he was planning to stay the night in John O'Groats and enjoy a big meal before putting his clothes back on and heading back south to his home in Eastleigh, southern England.

Once there, he's not sure what comes next.

"Quite often there are big points in our lives, such as getting married, when you think `what am I going to do after that?"' he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,214 • Replies: 16
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:51 pm
There is no law in Britain against public nudity. However, there are laws against indecent exposure - which requires proof of intent to insult a woman - or any behavior likely to cause "harassment, alarm or distress."

And I thought the Puritans were crazy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:53 pm
funny! good for him.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:04 pm
Ha ha, streakers across the UK...
We had a jogger here a couple of years ago, loved bouncing about au naturel. He was arrested several times, finally he wore a sock and no more could be done.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:33 pm
First thought upon misreading the thread's title as "Naked Walker Completes Trek Across U.S.A.":

That be a Kucinich campaigner?

;-)
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:21 pm
If God wanted us to walk around naked, we'd be born that way.

Wait a minute.....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:23 pm
Ceili--a sock stopped it all??

that just seems too reasonable..well, at least when you think about it
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:40 pm
I'm assuming it was fairly large.........um, the sock! that is.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:41 pm
Smile
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:00 pm
yesterday it was the six legged, headed calf, now this.

quinn, you have waaaay too much time on your hands, or you've been standing in line at a market which sells tabloids. Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:21 pm
Lands end shall from hereon be known as Johnson O'Groats
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:18 am
Did he re-trace the route of Dick Turpin? Or was that Ivor Biggun? :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:17 am
LOL! Too funny :-)
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:19 am
I hope there was no chafing going on.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:06 pm
During the streaking craze of the 70's I streaked 2 miles. But he did 845 more miles than me!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:40 pm
(Here he comes)
Looka dat, looka dat
(There he goes)
Looka dat, looka dat
(And he ain't wearin' no clothes)

Whoa, yes they call him The Streak
(Looka dat, looka dat)
Fastest thing on two feet
Looka dat, looka dat
He's just as proud as he can be of his anatomy
He gun give us a peek
Oh, yes they call him The Streak
(Looka dat, looka dat)
He likes to show off his physique
(Looka dat, looka dat)
If there's an audience to be found
He'll be streakin' A-round invitin' public critique

Thank you Ray Stevens . . .
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 09:26 pm
Ive too much time on my hands, certainly

Also, I believe my earliest memories are those of streakers..could explain alot of things actually

Smile
0 Replies