Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 10:19 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Folks -- don't for a second think this thing is resolved because slavery was somehow "different" back a few thousand years. Being enslaved has always been one of the basest, most repulsive predicaments any human ever encounters. It was, in those days, often the ultimate threat -- the dreaded fate of the losers in many contests.

BOTTOM LINE: The best guess, nearly as I can see, is that Jesus -- and Paul after him -- didn't condemn slavery because THEY SIMPLY DID NOT SEE IT AS IMMORAL -- or, even more unfortunately -- AS WRONG.

I've pulled these two quotes because you seem to be tap dancing again.

If, as you suggest, that "Being enslaved has always been one of the basest, most repulsive predicaments any human ever encounters." how could moral men (for I assume you take Jesus and Paul as such "SIMPLY DID NOT SEE IT AS IMMORAL" or "AS WRONG"

You are projecting today's mores back into a different era. Slavery wasn't the "ultimate threat" Death was. Battles routinely ended with all prisoners forfeiting their lives and often in brutal and sadistic ways, slavery was, in many ways, a bit of a result.

Really, you can't have it both ways. You can't suggest that slavery has always been wrong and moreover, everyone has always known it was wrong, then in the next breath state that is was not seen as wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:15 am
Laptoploon wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Folks -- don't for a second think this thing is resolved because slavery was somehow "different" back a few thousand years. Being enslaved has always been one of the basest, most repulsive predicaments any human ever encounters. It was, in those days, often the ultimate threat -- the dreaded fate of the losers in many contests.

BOTTOM LINE: The best guess, nearly as I can see, is that Jesus -- and Paul after him -- didn't condemn slavery because THEY SIMPLY DID NOT SEE IT AS IMMORAL -- or, even more unfortunately -- AS WRONG.

I've pulled these two quotes because you seem to be tap dancing again.

If, as you suggest, that "Being enslaved has always been one of the basest, most repulsive predicaments any human ever encounters." how could moral men (for I assume you take Jesus and Paul as such "SIMPLY DID NOT SEE IT AS IMMORAL" or "AS WRONG"

Oh, Laptop, how disappointing. I was beginning to think this was going to be a really interesting and challenging encounter - and then you go and post something as silly and ill conceived as this drivel.

OkayÂ…let's take this thing apart.

Suppose for the sake of explanation that I accept the correction you mentioned in your second paragraph about death being the ultimate threat rather than slavery (I don't -- but I'll get to that later) -- then my statement would read:

"Being killed has always been one of the basest, most repulsive predicaments any human ever encounters. It was, in those days, often the ultimate threat -- the dreaded fate of the losers in many contests."

And your reaction to it would read:

Quote:
If, as you suggest, that "Being killed has always been one of the basest, most repulsive predicaments any human ever encounters." how could moral men (for I assume you take Jesus and Paul as such "SIMPLY DID NOT SEE IT AS IMMORAL" or "AS WRONG"

Easily!

The fact that thing "x" is base and is a repulsive predicament -- has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a person CAN or HAS TO conceive of it as moral or right.

You, Laptop, are saying that being killed was in fact base and repulsive -- and for sure it was back then - YET there is no denying that it was considered moral/just/right by moral men back then.

So once we have established that it is possible for an item "x" to be both base and a repulsive predicament -- AND to be considered moral and right...the question you so carelessly put to me is answered. And substituting slavery (whether you see it as worse or not as bad as death) for death really does not change that dynamic.

Your contention that it could not be both is faulty logic. (Actually, not logic at all.)

Quote:
You are projecting today's mores back into a different era.

No I am not.

I am simply pointing out that the Bible -- and damn near all the literature we have -- indicates that slaves have never appreciated being slaves -- and this pseudo intellectual snake oil you are trying to sell here on this issue stinks of red herring.

No need for any kind of projection here at all.

Quote:
Slavery wasn't the "ultimate threat" Death was.

Up for grabs...but most of the stuff I've read indicates that most men back in those days would rather have died valiantly in battle than suffer the ignominy of slavery. In fact, in Roman times, I think there is ample indication that military men captured and enslaved would, if at all possible, opt for the gladiatorial games -- with a chance of an honorable death to end their ignoble slavery.

You just like being contentious -- so you are asserting alternatively to what I asserted. Just another example of that petty streak you show so often.

Quote:
Battles routinely ended with all prisoners forfeiting their lives and often in brutal and sadistic ways, slavery was, in many ways, a bit of a result.

Slow down a bit, Laptop. This sentence makes no sense.

Quote:
Really, you can't have it both ways. You can't suggest that slavery has always been wrong and moreover, everyone has always known it was wrong, then in the next breath state that is was not seen as wrong.

Well, that is not quite what I said or wrote or inferred, but in any case...

...as I argued up above, you can. But in order to see that, you would have to (as we sometimes put it here in America) pull your head out of your ass -- something you seem reluctant to do.

Give it a try.

I think you will find that you can actually give another person's opinions reasonable consideration and still be the insufferable, arrogant, condescending boor you apparently find it necessary to be.
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:27 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Up for grabs...but most of the stuff I've read indicates that most men back in those days would rather have died valiantly in battle than suffer the ignominy of slavery. In fact, in Roman times, I think there is ample indication that military men captured and enslaved would, if at all possible, opt for the gladiatorial games -- with a chance of an honorable death to end their ignoble slavery.

Frank this response of yours alone has brought me to the point of not really wanting to continue with this. Go back and re-read my post....take note of the words "prisoner" and "brutal and sadistic" now juxtapose that with your "died valiantly in battle"
They don't fit. This is just one example of your tap dancing (scant and compelling was another) You want to construct a straw man then demand someone else take it apart, find a less cynical bunny than this Laptop.

Laptop - wondering how men prepared to die valiantly rather than suffer ignomy of slavery could then go an an opt to be a gladiator - captured in their sleep perchance?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:16 pm
Laptoploon wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Frank this response of yours alone has brought me to the point of not really wanting to continue with this. Go back and re-read my post....take note of the words "prisoner" and "brutal and sadistic" now juxtapose that with your "died valiantly in battle"
They don't fit. This is just one example of your tap dancing (scant and compelling was another) You want to construct a straw man then demand someone else take it apart, find a less cynical bunny than this Laptop.

Laptop - wondering how men prepared to die valiantly rather than suffer ignomy of slavery could then go an an opt to be a gladiator - captured in their sleep perchance?

You are simply not thinking -- but that seems to be a habit on your part.

Re-read my comment.

I makes sense.

If you re-read it and it still doesn't -- get someone to help you with it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:23 pm
Thanks for the explanation Frank. If you seek (by examining the issue of slavery) to highlight the inconsistancies, logical errors and flawed interpretations in that collection of writings commonly known as The Bible then all I can say is you're not the first!

In the UK, and I think elsewhere in Europe, we are not so troubled by these fanatical deranged/deluded Christians as you seem to be in US.

IMO it is a pity the Bible was ever translated into English. If it had remained in the original Aramaic? or Greek, it might today only be of interest to a few academics. The rest of us would be able to live our lives under the law, untroubled by wild eyed fanatics pointing out the devil's work in perfectly 'normal' human activity.

And when you get someone who truly believes (because he's read it) that we are living in the End Times and has the power at his disposal to make it happen through control of nuclear weapons, then there is only one thing to be done...armageddon outta here. :wink:
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 02:44 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
IMO it is a pity the Bible was ever translated into English. If it had remained in the original Aramaic? or Greek, it might today only be of interest to a few academics. The rest of us would be able to live our lives under the law, untroubled by wild eyed fanatics pointing out the devil's work in perfectly 'normal' human activity.

Greek, though it was translated to Latin very early on in the West. It was studied in Latin long after the language died. So if the Bible was never translated and popularized in the venacular, we'd all learn it in Latin just as most Muslims learn the Qur'an in Arabic.

As for Jesus not talking about slavary, he didn't talk about abortion either. At least not in any of this recorded teachings.
Also the Old Testament condones slavary. Even if we say that Jesus may not have spoken of slavary because he preached to local Jews about their problems and slavary was pretty much a non-issue among them, I don't see how a Christian can reconcile that with the Old Testament.
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 03:14 pm
ye110man wrote:

As for Jesus not talking about slavary, he didn't talk about abortion either. At least not in any of this recorded teachings.

Was abortion practised/an issue ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 03:49 pm
Laptoploon wrote:
ye110man wrote:

As a matter of fact, it was.

Hippocrates thought it was enough of a problem to mention it in his oath -- and that was 200 years before Christ.

As I understand it, being an abortionist is the second oldest profession.
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 03:56 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Laptoploon wrote:
ye110man wrote:

As a matter of fact, it was.

Hippocrates thought it was enough of a problem to mention it in his oath -- and that was 200 years before Christ.

As I understand it, being an abortionist is the second oldest profession.

Interesting - I've just read the Hippocratic oath for the first time - you live and learn. Mind you, I suppose we now have to establish whether abortion is moral or immoral....s'ok, I'll get me coat.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
Some people think the Bible addressed abortion specifically. It's a bit of a stretch and similar to the passages where they say the Bible predicts the automobile.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:02 pm
Laptop - here's a thought.

Slavery WAS I believe a pretty universally dreaded institution. It might well be seen as better than death by many - and even a reasonable "career" by some - but generally - especially for those taken in battle - a horror.

So - we have Jesus preaching that we should do as we would be done by - and love our neighbour as ourselves.

Is not this position inconsistent with slavery???????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:05 pm
Oh - and did someone up there say the slavery in Egypt is being doubted?

Could they explain more?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:06 pm
The AUTOMOBILE?

One of those wheeled vision thingies?
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:10 pm
dlowan wrote:
Laptop - here's a thought.

Slavery WAS I believe a pretty universally dreaded institution. It might well be seen as better than death by many - and even a reasonable "career" by some - but generally - especially for those taken in battle - a horror.

So - we have Jesus preaching that we should do as we would be done by - and love our neighbour as ourselves.

Is not this position inconsistent with slavery???????

You are looking at it from the perspective of those that might end up slaves. Those that made the laws/decided the mores of the day were unlikely to end up slaves. A parallel is the gladiators Frank mentioned. By today's standard asking people (even free people) to go into an arena and fight to the death would be considered immoral but those whose job it was to make laws and decide right and wrong were never likely to find themselves at the wrong end of a sword.
BTW today we sanction boxing and I'll wager it won't be too long before that is outlawed and considered immoral.

As I said before, that which we consider moral today will be held in contempt tomorrow.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:35 pm
Ah - but - Jesus' message was that we SHOULD look at things from the others' perspective, no?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 05:01 pm
"As I said before, that which we consider moral today will be held in contempt tomorrow."

That is an interesting comment - but a little overblown, I think. I think, broadly, that communal morality tends to move reasonably slowly, and to have followed certain reasonably stable trends - though I could be wrong.

Maybe a thread for this....
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:24 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Some people think the Bible addressed abortion specifically. It's a bit of a stretch and similar to the passages where they say the Bible predicts the automobile.
dlowan wrote:
The AUTOMOBILE?

One of those wheeled vision thingies?

It's not too convincing of a "prophecy," but here ya go Deb:
    Nah.2:4 The chariots shall rage in the streets, they shall justle one against another in the broad ways: they shall seem like torches, they shall run like the lightnings.
Supposedly chariots = cars, justle in the broad ways = crash on highways, seem like torches = headlights at night, run like lightning = go faster than anything they'd seen back then. It's used by some as 1 more proof we're now living in the "end time."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 12:03 am
Thanks Monger.

And, I hope the platypus never does its thing in YOUR jocks!

They are weeny, weeny eggs, though.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 12:06 am
Laptoploon wrote:
As I said before, that which we consider moral today will be held in contempt tomorrow.

Just this weekend on another thread I had said that I'd never seen this fallacy before. What are the odds. It's the opposite of an appeal to tradition and is fallacious.

Nobody here is asserting that slavery is wrong merely on the basis of its present standing in society.

To suggest that in the future the perception might change is a meaningless fallacy. Simply put, people can be wrong in the future. You've made an appeal to future tradition that has no validity.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 12:46 am
Jesus did not take a stand on many issues. Did Jesus want the slave to rebel. He did not come to cause such an uprising. Such actions hardly comported with the gospel: change is to take place from the inside out. He came to start a belief that radiates from Love.
The work of the Holy Spirit caused the change within mankind to bring about the end to slavery. We are still dealing with issues that Jesus did not directly say anything about.
But I see enough directness in some scripture which shows the intent of the Gospel of Jesus.

Quote:
that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.
11 And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more: The merchandise of horses, and chariots, and SLAVES, and souls of men. -Rev 18:10-13

Quote:
Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven. -Colossians 4:1

Quote:
And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him. -Eph 6:9

There is so much posted on whether Jesus was real or not. If that is the case , maybe Paul was not real either. IF Jesus is not the Messiah, the Son of God, why ask did he say this or say that Question If a peson does not believe God or Jesus then he certaintly will not see that there is scripture pertaining to slavery and how to treat slaves and how to not treat slaves. That is a persons decision. But it would be ignorant to not see that social change DOES NOT occur overnight, usually it takes at least a generation for a social change. Lincoln forced the South into social change with the Civil War and the slaves were freed but it still took 150 years for black slave descendants to be seen as more than a slave. With equality. NT slaves were not treated as badly as Western slaves. When NT slaves became a bond servant, they could own things and start a business, have a family. Western slaves were stripped of anything that even looked like humanity. Why Question Fear of Rebellion.

[quote]Slavery in the first century was quite different from slavery in early American history. For one thing, Roman slaves were either taken as the spoils of war or were such because they sold themselves into slavery (known as "bond-servant"). They were often well-educated (in which the "tutor" or better "disciplinarian" or "guide" of the children was usually a slave).

The normal word for "slave" in the New Testament is the term dou'lo", a term that in earlier centuries usually referred to one who sold himself into slavery; later on, it was used especially of those who became slaves as the spoils of war. Although the masters had absolute rights over their slaves, they generally showed them respect, very unlike the South in the days of Lincoln. They often treated them with human dignity and, although they could beat them, such does not seem to be as regular a practice as it was in America. Slaves could marry, accumulate wealth, purchase their own freedom, run a business, etc. Cicero noted that a slave could usually be set free within seven years; in any case, under Roman law a slave would normally be set free by age 30. All this can be overstated, however. The revolt led by Spartacus in 73 BC caused Rome to treat slaves from the western regions more harshly (very similar to how black slaves were treated). Eastern slaves, however, enjoyed much greater freedom
.[/quote]

Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather. -1 Corinthians 7:21
Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. -1Corinthians 7:23.

This scripture is urging servants/slaves to become freemen. Why would a servant/slave need to be urged Question Could it be that a slave/servant could have a comfortable life when the Messiah came Question
[/color]

1 Cor 7, Paul does make one significant pronouncement:
In v. 23 he says, "You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men." Here we clearly see his attitude toward slavery and the seeds of social freedom embedded in his words.
0 Replies