Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

kiuku

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 06:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
well here is something I totally forgot, like I forgot the bible actually, an interesting point, I forgot that it started out that way though, with God freeing slaves. Does he have to make the point again? Do unto others...

God is freeing gladiators later on.
neologist

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 08:49 pm
@kiuku,
What Bible are you reading?
carloslebaron

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 10:36 pm
In order to understand why Jesus didn't condemn slavery, we must know that according to the bible there is nothing wrong with it.

It might be ironic for many, but slavery is what made empires and kingdoms great. The US also became great thanks to slavery. No one can deny this reality. After freedom become an internal issue and event in the US, this great nation started to acquire other small nations as "economically slave nations", a practice that still enforced until today when we know that children are exploited in other countries so the youngers in the West can wear expensive Jordan shoes... women in the West wearing jewelry obtained from mines full of slaves regardless of how hard the big jewelry corporations claim that they don't do such a practice... lol

The big misunderstanding of many is about what the bible REALLY says about slavery. The UK Prime Minister is an ignorant about the bible, because according to him, the bible "encourages" slavery, while he forgets that England was one of the greatest empire thanks to imposing slavery all around the world.

The bible does not encourage slavery. When one reads the biblical verses in reference to slavery, the word "IF" is the key.

So, "IF" you have a slave in your land, THEN this is the way you must treat him.

In other words, in case and if by any reason, you have a slave in your land, then you must treat him with DIGNITY. Reading the biblical narration, the laws about slavery is the protection of the integrity of the slave.

When Jesus was walking on earth, those laws about slavery were respected by the Israelites. We must understand that Jesus came only and solely for the "lost sheep of Israel", this is to say, the people of Israel including those that were exiled from the former Kingdom of Israel and crossed the Mesopotamia in direction to what today is Europe.

We also can read from the apostle Saul, giving advice that if a man is a slave, to try to reach his freedom., OTHERWISE to obey his master and be example of a good follower of the Messiah by doing so.

kiuku

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 10:59 pm
@neologist,
Hopefully the real one but by the way things are going I don't know.

The one where Moses the prophet tells the Egyptian Pharoah to let his people go.

Which one are you reading?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 03:29 am
@kiuku,
kiuku wrote:

well here is something I totally forgot, like I forgot the bible actually, an interesting point, I forgot that it started out that way though, with God freeing slaves. Does he have to make the point again? Do unto others...

It does?

What Bible is that?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 03:30 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

In order to understand why Jesus didn't condemn slavery, we must know that according to the bible there is nothing wrong with it.

It might be ironic for many, but slavery is what made empires and kingdoms great. The US also became great thanks to slavery. No one can deny this reality. After freedom become an internal issue and event in the US, this great nation started to acquire other small nations as "economically slave nations", a practice that still enforced until today when we know that children are exploited in other countries so the youngers in the West can wear expensive Jordan shoes... women in the West wearing jewelry obtained from mines full of slaves regardless of how hard the big jewelry corporations claim that they don't do such a practice... lol

The big misunderstanding of many is about what the bible REALLY says about slavery. The UK Prime Minister is an ignorant about the bible, because according to him, the bible "encourages" slavery, while he forgets that England was one of the greatest empire thanks to imposing slavery all around the world.

The bible does not encourage slavery. When one reads the biblical verses in reference to slavery, the word "IF" is the key.

So, "IF" you have a slave in your land, THEN this is the way you must treat him.

In other words, in case and if by any reason, you have a slave in your land, then you must treat him with DIGNITY. Reading the biblical narration, the laws about slavery is the protection of the integrity of the slave.

When Jesus was walking on earth, those laws about slavery were respected by the Israelites. We must understand that Jesus came only and solely for the "lost sheep of Israel", this is to say, the people of Israel including those that were exiled from the former Kingdom of Israel and crossed the Mesopotamia in direction to what today is Europe.

We also can read from the apostle Saul, giving advice that if a man is a slave, to try to reach his freedom., OTHERWISE to obey his master and be example of a good follower of the Messiah by doing so.

So...the reason Jesus did not condemn slavery is that it made nations great.

Okay.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 03:35 am
@kiuku,
kiuku wrote:

Certainly not the one most people read...and call the Bible.

Quote:
The one where Moses the prophet tells the Egyptian Pharoah to let his people go.

That is not the beginning. That is not even the first book.

Quote:

The one that says:

Leviticus 25:44ff
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess...such slaves
you may own as chattels, and leave to your sons as their
hereditary property, making them perpetual slaves."

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not to abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you; UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, not the smallest letter of the law, not the smallest part of a letter shall be done away with until it all comes true." Matthew 5:17ff

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 04:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Edward Gibbon wrote--

Quote:
He remembered that, in his humbler fortune, he had often waited before the door of the haughty nobles of Rome, and had been denied admittance by the insolence of their slaves.

He was Maximin whose humbler fortune was that of the general in charge of recruitment and discipline of the Roman army. Gibbon was writing about how he revenged himself when he became Emperor.

The implication is that those slaves mentioned were not dissimilar to the White staff of today.

Apisa is attempting to discredit Jesus, Christianity and the sexual morality of the religion for personal reasons and this leads him to interpret the word "slave" in a manner conditioned by the application of it in modern times. He is relying, in order to achieve the effect he seeks, on A2Kers being as uneducated and obtuse as he is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 04:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not to abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you; UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, not the smallest letter of the law, not the smallest part of a letter shall be done away with until it all comes true." Matthew 5:17ff

And again Apisa is guessing what Jesus meant by "the law". Jesus could only have been referring to the laws of science. Jesus was the founder of modern science. When Pilate asked Him "what is truth? " he must have been unaware of the concept of scientific truth.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 08:00 am
When somebody asked Jesus how to get eternal life, he replied-
"Keep the commandments..You shall do no murder, You shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not bear false witness, honour your father and mother, love thy neighbour ." (Matt 19:17-19)

See, nothing there about doing nasty Old T stuff.
Here are the full 10..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ten-cs_zps69eb00e9.jpg~original
BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 09:12 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
See, nothing there about doing nasty Old T stuff.
Here are the full 10

Right after our friend Moses came down from the mountain top with those commandments and found that commandment two was being broken he had his loyal followers killed until they could no longer move their sword arms.

In other word so what, as far as commandment 6 is concern.

Oh Moses also order killings for breaking commandment 4 for such crimes as gathering firewood.
0 Replies

kiuku

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 09:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
I see, obviously.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 10:40 am
@kiuku,
kiuku wrote:

I wrote:
What bible are you reading?
kiuku wrote:

The one I am reading does not start with Pharaoh, nor does it mention God freeing gladiators.

Although it does start with slavery . . .
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 11:30 am
@neologist,
There were times during the Roman Empire when slaves and eunuchs were running the show and entertained aspirations to occupy the Palace.
MWal

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 12:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Answer, Jesus needs to not condemn or accuse but live only by goodliness . He is passive, in all our godly might we must be passive or were not great and not virtuous.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 12:40 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Answer, Jesus needs to not condemn or accuse but live only by goodliness . He is passive, in all our godly might we must be passive or were not great and not virtuous.

Could be.

But the question here is, "Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?"

Got any ideas?

I've given mine.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 12:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I got an answer:
Because in the days when Jesus allegedly existed slavery was as natural and fair as minimum wage labor is today. Actually, the difference between slavery and working for minimum wage while being forced to pay mortgage is pretty negligible. I am pretty sure most of the people struggling through life today with minimum wage, struggling to make ends meet, would be happier overall if they were simple slaves with a master obliged to feed and shelter them.

It is the greatest invention of our time, this financial system. Where historically anyone owning slaves was required to feed and house them, modern "slaves" are required to feed and house themselves.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 01:00 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I got an answer:
Because in the days when Jesus allegedly existed slavery was as natural and fair as minimum wage labor is today. Actually, the difference between slavery and working for minimum wage while being forced to pay mortgage is pretty negligible. I am pretty sure most of the people struggling through life today with minimum wage, struggling to make ends meet, would be happier overall if they were simple slaves with a master obliged to feed and shelter them.

It is the greatest invention of our time, this financial system. Where historically anyone owning slaves was required to feed and house them, modern "slaves" are required to feed and house themselves.

Yeah...Jesus did not condemn slavery...because Jesus did not think there was anything wrong with slavery.

That is what I suggested as the best guess back on page 1 or 2 of this thread...and several times afterwards.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 01:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
By the way...I disagree completely with the notion that the differences between slavery and minimum wage jobs are negligible.

I've covered that several times also.
neologist

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 01:53 pm
@spendius,
Noted
0 Replies