Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:45 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
It just happened that the church forced into the minds of the people their version of it. A version that allowed the status quo to continue.

But the status quo did not continue. Paganism and Syncretism and Mazaidism and Marcionism etc etc were overthrown and that explains why you play golf.

I feel pretty confident in asserting that had those systems not been overthrown you would not even know what golf was. Which might be a good thing. I don't know. I don't have any opinions.

That you are ******* ridiculous is a fact.

Since that quote was not from me, Spendius...perhaps it is you who is ******* ridiculous.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:46 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Obviously Jesus would not find anything wrong with slavery...because the god he worshiped said there was nothing wrong with it.

Right?

Right. There is nothing wrong with slavery. Evolution theory demands it.

Are you trying to get in tight with the delicate ladies using word magic in lieu of having a big dick? Aw shucks! How touching?

Milking on the compassion udder should only be allowed when wearing a frock.

Millions of black Americans are living in luxury thanks to slavery. I bet plenty of transported slaves from Africa volunteered and were glad of a free passage out of the "heart of darkness".

Lay off the suds for a while, Spendius. You are out of control.

The god Jesus worshiped did say there was nothing wrong with slavery.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Since that quote was not from me, Spendius...perhaps it is you who is ******* ridiculous.

I have never denied being ridiculous. I think we are all ridiculous. The first test of a good writer is that he or she has a keen sense of that.

Your post format confused me but I'll admit it shouldn't have done. Lucky for you though eh? Making your pedantic point enabled you to avoid answering the gist of the post which does address your subject.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:21 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I have never denied being ridiculous. I think we are all ridiculous. The first test of a good writer is that he or she has a keen sense of that.

Your post format confused me but I'll admit it shouldn't have done. Lucky for you though eh? Making your pedantic point enabled you to avoid answering the gist of the post which does address your subject.

I answered the "jist" of the post, Spendius...because the "jist" of damn near all your posts seem to be that I am stupid and unobservant...and you are anything but that.

I answered the jist of the post, because the "jist" of damn near all of your posts is to demean...so my demaning in return is "answering" the jist.

Wake the hell up and stop trying to pretend that other stuff you work into your posts represents the "jist" of your posts.

Quote:

And you dare talk about someone else marking his own homework!
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 01:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
When did I say that I don't mark my own homework?

It's just that I know when I'm doing it and you don't.

If you only accept things you have evidence for it follows that what you accept is limited to your own range and your own curiosity. And neither seem particularly well developed.

And that range and that curiosity is tailored to avoid having to accept things you don't want to accept in order to maintain your attack on Christian sexual morality for reasons which are too trite to bear constant rehearsal.
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:00 pm
@spendius,
It has been said that meditation and speculation on things we have no evidence for is what led to man's intellectual capacities taking off like a space rocket on an evolutionary timescale.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:22 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

When did I say that I don't mark my own homework?

It's just that I know when I'm doing it and you don't.

When did I say I don't know that I am doing it?

Quote:

If you only accept things you have evidence for it follows that what you accept is limited to your own range and your own curiosity. And neither seem particularly well developed.

Only to someone with an not particularly well-developed intellect.

Quote:
And that range and that curiosity is tailored to avoid having to accept things you don't want to accept in order to maintain your attack on Christian sexual morality for reasons which are too trite to bear constant rehearsal.

I have never attacked Christian sexual morality for trite reasons.

Why don't you pay someone for a romp in the bed (make it a woman)...and maybe you will be able to get past all these sexual hangups you have.

You're still diggin'!
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:23 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It has been said that meditation and speculation on things we have no evidence for is what led to man's intellectual capacities taking off like a space rocket on an evolutionary timescale.

Oh? And did the bartender at your Pub say that...or did you just make it up?
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I'm a good judge of that sort of thing after 10 years on A2K and decades in pubs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
You're still diggin'!

Did you know you were doing it with those three?

When you say that you enjoy the company of women it only means that you enjoy the company of some women who have been selected by you because they behave in a manner you approve of. There are a fast growing number of women whose company I think you would find not quite to your taste.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:11 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I'm a good judge of that sort of thing after 10 years on A2K and decades in pubs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
You're still diggin'!

Did you know you were doing it with those three?

When you say that you enjoy the company of women it only means that you enjoy the company of some women who have been selected by you because they behave in a manner you approve of. There are a fast growing number of women whose company I think you would find not quite to your taste.

Whew...women really run your life, Spendius...and you do not even know it. Maybe that is why you want to keep them in cages.

Get out of the Pub once in a while. Drying out might help.

Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I just made it up. It's the only explanation I can think of.

What's yours?

It's a complex notion to do with thought being mediated by language used to give meaning to objects and happenings our eyes have evidence for and to try to see a mystery in them which we have no evidence for.

Take slavery as an example. Racism might be a better example. Racism exists on the Totem side of life. It's a matter of blood and viscera. Not thinking processes and system which are on the Taboo side.

There is a mystery behind racism, and slavery, which people who have taken a stand on such issues, (their pride is involved), don't wish to explore in case it undermines their position.

The animal would never, I assume, imagine a mystery behind the objects and happenings in its experience. It has no religiousness.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 04:21 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I just made it up. It's the only explanation I can think of.

What's yours?

It's a complex notion to do with thought being mediated by language used to give meaning to objects and happenings our eyes have evidence for and to try to see a mystery in them which we have no evidence for.

Take slavery as an example. Racism might be a better example. Racism exists on the Totem side of life. It's a matter of blood and viscera. Not thinking processes and system which are on the Taboo side.

There is a mystery behind racism, and slavery, which people who have taken a stand on such issues, (their pride is involved), don't wish to explore in case it undermines their position.

The animal would never, I assume, imagine a mystery behind the objects and happenings in its experience. It has no religiousness.

Actually, this may be the best-conceived and well-delivered commentary you have made in months.

I realize you think some of what you said here casts aspersions on what I have written here and in other threads...but that has more to do with a personal bias you have with regard to me than any logical inferences that can be made.

I agree with the thrust of most of what you wrote here...although some of the imagery is not particularly appealing.
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 05:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Actually, this may be the best-conceived and well-delivered commentary you have made in months.

I thought it was pretty poor myself but it is a complex idea and I hadn't a lot of time.

The thing is, as you have avoided once again, is your explanation of why human intellectual evolution has taken off in a mere few thousand years at a rate which cannot be matched by any other species, with millions of examples to choose from. You were asked for your explanation and you previously asserted that you answer questions put to you. The thread proves that is a barefaced lie. I have lost count of the number of questions you have failed to answer.

The contemplation and speculation on things our senses have no evidence for is my explanation.

Either offer an alternative explanation for the astounding fact or forever hold your piece. A cosmic event will do if you are stuck. Aliens ******* some modicum of intelligence into the monkeys for example. Hedgehogs and stinging manta rays being thought unsuitable.

A Cecil Rhodes joke.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 05:28 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I thought it was pretty poor myself but it is a complex idea and I hadn't a lot of time.

The thing is, as you have avoided once again, is your explanation of why human intellectual evolution has taken off in a mere few thousand years at a rate which cannot be matched by any other species, with millions of examples to choose from. You were asked for your explanation and you previously asserted that you answer questions put to you. The thread proves that is a barefaced lie. I have lost count of the number of questions you have failed to answer.

The contemplation and speculation on things our senses have no evidence for is my explanation.

Either offer an alternative explanation for the astounding fact or forever hold your piece. A cosmic event will do if you are stuck. Aliens ******* some modicum of intelligence into the monkeys for example. Hedgehogs and stinging manta rays being thought unsuitable.

A Cecil Rhodes joke.

The answer to your question is: I do not know.

If I may, I would like to add that I suspect you do not know either...and these snake oil guesses you are trying to sell are laughable considering your intellect.

Do better.

You owe it to yourself.

If you see any other questions that I have not answered...just answer them with "I do not know" and we can eliminate the "barefaced lie" jointly.

That was an old druggie play on words.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 06:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe you will watch maybe you will not.

It seems to be the work of a black man and seems to deal with slavery morality and Jesus.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 07:22 pm
Extremist conservative thinking?

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 08:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Why do you suppose Jesus didn't condemned slavery?

Which Jesus are you talking about? The fort or the ship? Wasn't it all about the money in both cases? I know some Islamic people had slaves but do you know if they had a ship named Muhammad or a fort named Muhammad?
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:34 am
@Frank Apisa,

Christians are not going to support slavery. It’s ridiculous to believe that Christians are supposed to go out and buy slaves because of what is written in the bible.
In I Peter 2, St Peter says Christ’s followers are to obey society’s ordinances/law and Roman’s 13 says much the same, that we are to obey the powers that be. Since the powers that be in this country have created laws that have eliminated slavery then buying slaves, according to those passages, would be unlawful. Even so, first and foremost, we have the statements by Christ commanding us to love God and love each other as ourselves. These are the two commandments he gave us to follow.

According to bible scholars, Exodus 21 is about some of the laws for the Hebrews back then. The bible scholars say that some of the reasons for slavery is that if a person couldn’t repay his debts or if he was a thief then he could be sold as a slave and the money used to recoup losses. (I can think of a few deadbeats now-a-days who’d be more inclined to pay their debts under such a system. There was a time people used to be thrown into debtors prison. Now they just clear their debt by declaring bankruptcy.) Some scholars suggest such repayment of debts may have even been considered honorable because it was a way for those sold into slavery, not others, to pay for the cost of running their life.
It is suggested that marriage, not slavery, is what is being spoken of in the verses concerning women and
may refer to the old custom of marrying off your daughter to someone who can provide for her. “We read: "If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as manservants do." The intent is that the girl becomes the wife of the man who buys her and that this marriage cannot be annulled…the law protects the girl from the wiles of a man who wants to use her as he pleases. He cannot drop her like a rag when he does not want her any more. If he did desert her, the girl would regain her freedom automatically.”*
Slavery was one way that people had to survive economic hardship. Look at the prodigal son who took his inheritance and spent it, then having nothing to eat thought about how his father’s servants had bread to spare and so he determined to ask his father to make him a hired servant also.

These laws sound harsh, but they worked for them back then. Having just come out of Egypt where they were slaves the laws probably were intended to be harsh so that people would avoid going back into slavery.
Why didn’t Jesus condemn slavery? Perhaps because slavery is a condition of humankind. Slavery or servitude is spoken of throughout the bible. St. Paul refers to himself as a servant of Christ. The bible seems to say we are all slaves to sin and Jesus Christ has come to redeem us from our sin. Look at the prodigal son who chose to return to his father as a servant and was received as a son. Throughout the bible God poses the question: Choose this day whom you will serve- From Genesis with the choice set before Adam and Eve to choose whether to obey God or serve self to the last of Revelations which entreats everyone to follow God’s commandments and take of the waters of life freely. We can be brothers and sisters in Christ. We can be who we were meant to be, sons and daughters of God. We can show forth God’s redeeming love to the world.

Gal 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, Gal 4:5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Gal 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

*Chilton

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:45 am
IT'S ALIVE!
neologist

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 10:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
IT'S ALIVE!
Hey Frank!
Buddha did not preach about ancestor worship, either.

Mr. Green