Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 03:59 pm
But you prolly won't like it, as it would likely annoy you by not being accurate enough?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
LOL! I loved it as a weelowan - it is one of the books I credit for ending my christianity - read it when I was 12 or 13.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
Not necessarily. Vidal did a hatchet job on history with his Lincoln novel, but i enjoyed it nevertheless. What i wrote about Julian above is pretty much a statement of all that an historian can say about him with any certainty. Anyone who wishes to write more than a few lines on the subject will either have to bore you to tears with the reasons for speculating, or write a good novel.

I would suspect that Mr. Vidal, who is very skillful with language, has done the latter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 04:06 pm
Historical fiction, just like the Bible.
<nods>
Gore Vidal, Georgette Heyer, John Irving, the Bible. All much the same in some ways - except the first three have not had to suffer through innumerable mistranslations.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 04:26 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
The documented existence of Caiaphas, Pilate. or Herod for that matter, neither proves or disproves the existence of a historical Jesus. But it does place the story in a real historical context. Therefor if it is fake, someone was going to some lengths to make the story plausible. Which poses an equally interesting question, why go to all that trouble?

Well -- let me start by saying that it makes more sense for me to suppose Jesus actually existed -- than that he was made up.

Someone provided the motivation -- and my guess the person was named Jesus -- or the equivalent in Hebrew/Aramaic.

But even if fictional -- the people who wrote the "fiction" lived approximately at that time. Caiaphas, Pilate, Herod all would have been known to them -- and the character had to be placed in some context.

If they placed the "fictional" character earlier -- they would have used the names of earlier real people.

This argument you are presenting here simply is not compelling. It brings to mind, for some reason, the old joke about "isn't it unusual that our most famous presidents were born on holidays!"

Although as I said -- I have no problem with a teacher coming forth at this time who taught the stuff Jesus taught.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
LOL! Occam's Razor suggests to me that a Jesus of some sort existed - in a land where prophets were bountiful, why doubt the existence of this one?
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
Eusebius was a "bishop" at about the time that Constantine made Constantinople the new capital of the Roman empire. He may have been alive at the time that Constantine allegedly made christianity the state religion of the empire. But there are several problems with the entire scenario as presented, and saddly, generally accepted, in modern histories.

By tradition, a personality cult of the either the reigning emperor, or the late emperor, had been the state religion since the time of Octavian, known as Caesar Augustus. But Constantine apparently had no interest in such a cult, and had a plan to divide the administrative functions of the empire into two districts, east and west, which would have raised some thorny issues about just who was to be considered "divine." There is no known non-christian record from the early 4th century which deals with the subject. All that can be said with any certainty on the subject is that Constantine lifted the legal penalties on adherence to christianity.

The issue becomes even murkier thereafter. Constantine died in 337, and was succeeded by Constantius II, but had already established an adminstrative structure with two Augustii (read: emperors) and two Caesars (read: heirs apparent), one in the east (Constantinople) and one in the west (Rome, briefly, abandoned for Ravenna, which was more militarily defensible). Contantius II was succeeded by Julian, known to history--thanks to the christians--as Julian the Apostate. It seems hardly likely that Constantine's grandson would have been "pagan" in a state in which christianity was the state religion. We now have only christian sources for the period because Julian died within a few years (and might have been assissinated, likely with poison), and was succeeded by Jovian, a weak-willed puppet of the bishops.

The reason there are few or no "pagan" sources for the period is that the Roman empire in the west began to decay (slavery is the root cause, although many other superficial causes are claimed--but no time for that here), and the empire in the east survived, and even prospered. However, it became a hagiocracy--and the emperors became religious symbols in orthodox christianity. "Unofficial" versions of history were expunged whenever discovered.

Eusebius of Caesarea is known to many christian scholars as the father of christian history. The "pagans" of the third and fourth centuries ceded nothing to the christians in the way of scholarship, and had already begun to question the "Jesus story." They pointed out that references to a rabbi named Yeshuwah (Joshuah in English, Jesu in Greek) were rather coy, given how common the name was, and the prevalence of mysticism in Palestine in the period in question. In short there were any number of rabbis (even if only self-proclaimed) in Palestine 2000 years ago, and more than just a few named Yeshuwah. Even before the time of Eusebius, there had been "interpolations" of the text of the Jewish historian known to us as Josephus. The evidence is from christian sources--within the last few centuries, when agnostic and atheistic skepticism has reared its head once again, christian scholars have been at pains to point out that interpolations of Josephus pre-date Eusebius. In so doing, however, they provide the very evidence to seriously question the account which Eusebius used, and which is the basis of the claim in our times that Josephus records an account of the existance of this "Jesus."

Your statement to the effect: "there were no independent observers (that is to say, people outside the cult) . . ."--is essentially correct. Historians ask first and foremost, cui bono, or "to whom the benefit?" in any historical investigation. When only christian sources claim that Josephus is a source of affirmation of the existance of "Jesus," but no extant fragment of Josephus exists which is not derived from a christian source containing such an affirmation, the entire contention is called into question. Obviously, when dealing with christian historians in such a matter, historians who acknowledge that there have been a great many interpolations of Josephus, the answer to the question cui bono is those historians themselves.

As for Tacitus, he is known for four works: Cerealis, Germania, The Annals of Imperial Rome, and The History of Imperial Rome. I've read all of them, i've read the last three named on several occassions. The last two works are fragmentary. In no part of the text of either of the last two works does Tacitus assert that such an individual ever existed. Rather, he takes note that the cult exists, and that the adherents thereof contend such an individual existed. Yeshuwah the Rabbi very likely did exist. The entire "Jesus" fairy tale, however, leaves a sulferous stench (historically speaking) in my nostrils.

I'm more than fascinated by the notion that Josephus born 37AD foresaw Eusebius' pronouncments by a couple of hundred years and was thereby bound by them.

Moreover your notion that all Tacitus does is assert a particular cult exists. Perhaps it was another Tacitus that talks of "Christos" and his death?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:35 pm
I neither know nor care why you have warped an assertion that Josephus foresaw any pronouncement of Eusebius from what i wrote, it is simply not there.

That Tacitus refers to the belief system of a cult which he describes is not evidence that he is asserting this to be truth.

I begin to seriously doubt your reading skills.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:58 pm
In terms of the son of the deity, the virgin birth, the star etc, did not the legends of the birth of a similar deity, Mithras, predate the Christian myth by some period?

I have heard it contended, I cannot recall where, that these details were added to make the new religion attractive to the many followers of Mithras - especially in the Roman army - much as Mariology and the usurpation of the pagan midwinter and spring festivals satisfied a longing for the mother goddess and the old rituals.

Any comments, Setanta, or anyone else?

I hope this is not a usurpation of this thread, by the way!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:24 pm
It would be perfectly reasonable to doubt what i have written based upon the objections which LTL has raised. I was mystified by his reference to "Christos," so i dug out my copy of The Annals, and can find no such passage. I began to suspect another christian interpolation. I googled this, and came across the following, which also suggests interpolation:

Tacitus on Nero's Persecution of Christians[/color]

The author of this page is Darrell J. Doughty, Professor of New Testament at Drew University in Madison, New Jersey. i would also refer you to Richard Carrier, who has done an exhaustive analysis of the Josephus legend, and the claims that both Tacitus and Seutonius provide evidence for the existence of "Jesus." He also analyzes the claim that an ancient historian named Thallus mentions "Jesus" (even Eusebius acknowledges that Thallus's history ends with the 167th Olympiad, which is to say 109 BCE), a reference to him in Josephus being the basis of a claim of christian scholars that not only does Josephus claim that "Jesus" existed, but that he refers to other ancient historians who also provide evidence. However, that claim is based upon the assertion of a Mr. Hudson, made in 1720, that the name "Allos" in Josephus must be an error (since he, Hudson, did not know who "Allos" might be) and that he, Hudson, therefore, adds the letter theta to the front of the word, and produces "Thallos," which he then says must also be an error (no ****, Sherlock), and is actually Thallus, thus providing a link to an ancient historians whose works are no longer known to exist--all despite the assertion of Eusebius that Thallus' work (which he very likely might have read) end with the 167th Olympiad, in 109 BCE.

I can actually go on for pages and pages like this, but it doesn't take much to see how christian interpolation of texts for which we no longer have non-christian sources have been used to build up an otherwise unsupportable contention. Please also note, that an entire tissue has been built upon passages in which both Tacitus and Suetonius refer to someone named Chrestus. Even if one assumes that this is a corruption of Christos, it calls into question any assertion that either of them had first-hand knowledge of the individual or the origins of his cult--errors such as that are always very likely to be the product of hearsay, as first-hand knowledge can be expected to produce a correct designation, and not a corruption.

At any event, i'll stick with the copy of The Annals which i have, which does not even mention the name christian in the text, but simply provides an annotation which reports that some scholars have claimed that passage refers to the martyrdom of christians.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:37 pm
Sorry it took so long to reply, Bunny, but while i was typing my last post, i was also "queuing up" to download a game mod for one of my RPG's, so i've been more than a little distracted.

Very astute, Our Dear Wabbit. In fact, the Mithraic cult was the most popular cult in the empire at the time that Constantine removed the penalties for christians. It's tenets of asceticism, athleticism, sexual abstinance and glory in war seem to have been adopted wholesale by canny salesmen of christianity who wished to push their product to the wealthy and powerful. And you're absolutely correct that the legend of Mithras involves virgin birth, advent by three Mages from Persia, execution and resurrection.

What very likely occurred, in my never humble opinion, is that one of the many Essene mystics who left their desert fastnesses to preach to the people, and who happened to be named Joshuah is the Rabbi Joshuah upon which Saul of Tarsus (aka St. Paul) based the legend with which he hoped to spread (very much to his own advantage) the adherence to a strange minority cult in Palestine. At such time as Constantine lifted the stricture against christians, the "church fathers" had among them one or more canny types who saw their advantage in conflating the odd cult with the most popular cult then practiced in the empire, just as "feast days" were added to religion to coincide with the popular holidays of the empire.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:38 pm
Back to waiting in line to download games mods--dull, but the games themselves are far more entertaining than goofy, ancient middle-eastern cult legends.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:09 pm
Goofy perhaps - but enormously impactful, nicht wahr? And hence interesting to discuss.

(which games - tell me on Auntie Lowan perhaps, if you care to?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:11 pm
Actually, I believe that Vidal makes that self-same Julian, or one of his philosopher friends, point out the Mithraic imitation....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:11 pm
'k
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 04:07 am
Setanta wrote:
Tacitus only mentions that such a cult exists, making such a claim. Tacitus definitely does not provide any evidence for the claim.

He wrote....

..Consequently, to get rid of the report, that he was responsible for the fire that razed Rome, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome...

I have to admit that I'm uncertain how he could provide evidence or what evidence would satisfy you 2000 years down the line.

Quote:
No fragment of Josephus making the claim exists which is not posterior to the claim to that effect made by Eusebius, one of the most scurrilously unreliable "historians" who ever wrongly assumed the title. There is no source for the Josephus claim which is not traceable to a christian source, and by far, the overwhelming majority of such claims are traceable to Eusebius. So, there is no definite information that Josephus in fact recorded the existence of said "Jesus"--and the particularly christian argument that Josephus would have no reason to invent him is specious, as it is in no wise certain that Josephus did in fact write about such an individual.

I have to be honest and admit that I'd forgotten about an article I had read which argued quite strongly that early Chrisians had made some small but significant changes to Josephus's Antiquities. Your post above brought it back to mind. I'm not wholly convinced it's true but I'm sufficiently convinced to place it in the "not to be relied upon" box.

I also have this vague notion that Pliny mentions Christ but I can't recall where I get this from.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 07:09 am
But Laptop -- even if the disputed passages actually refer to the "Christians" -- that still is not confirmation of the existence of Jesus.

(Once again, my personal opinion is that it is more practical to guess that Jesus existed than that there was no Jesus.)

My point, though, is we know Christians existed back then -- just as we know Christians exist now. The existence of Christianity -- no matter who confirms its existence -- is not contingent upon the existence of a person call Jesus -- because the existence of Christianity could simply be the result of the efforts of Paul to merchandise a myth -- and that holds even if Paul were convinced of the substance of the myth.

Remember, Paul is the essential to Christianity (even more essential to Christianity than Jesus, as far as I am concerned) -- and Paul was working second and third hand from Jesus. He never met Jesus.

Just as the notion "there is a God" cannot be confirmed by logic or investigation and must simply be a product of "belief" (which is to say, guess)-- the notion "Jesus existed" -- is something that must be arrived at the same way.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 07:42 am
Bloody hell! There's some real scholarship going on here. No wonder you need the games module Setanta. Some fascinating posts thanks. Just a few things I picked out for my own amusement

On limestone boxes with writing on them

Quote:
I would be thrilled if it were true, but I believe it is a forgery. Several things cast suspicion: the line of custody is insecure, and the inscription is too perfect. They would have never written 'brother of Jesus' in the first century," Robert Eisenman, professor of biblical archaeology at California State University

Rev. Jerome Murphy-O'Connor, professor of the New Testament at the Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem, found "no reason to object" to Lemaire's conclusions and called for it to be restored to the Christian church.

"Since it seems very likely that the inscription is authentic, then I find it intolerable that the ossuary should remain in a secret private collection in Israel,"

The two items belong to Israeli collector Oded Golan, who says he bought the ossuary for 200 dollars at an antique shop in Jerusalem's Old City, although he said he has forgotten exactly where. Laughing Laughing

On Monty Python's Life of Brian:-

Quote:
Essene mystics had reached the pinacle of their popular appeal at that time, and Palestine was likely crawling with "street-corner" preachers of that ilk.

Doughty words from the Prof

Quote:
When I consider a question such as this, the first question to ask is whether it conceivable or perhaps even probable that later Christians might have modified ancient historical sources; and the answer to this question certainly must be yes!

For all these reasons, therefore, one must at least conclude that this text is too problematical to serve as historical evidence for anything. I myself, however, regard it as probable that we have to do here with a later Christian elaboration.

conclusion

Keep an open mind but not so open that your brains fall out (K Sagan)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 08:01 am
Quote:
Just as the notion "there is a God" cannot be confirmed by logic or investigation and must simply be a product of "belief" (which is to say, guess)-- the notion "Jesus existed" -- is something that must be arrived at the same way.

I couldn't disagree more on that statement Frank.

One lends itself to historical and scientific enquiry. The other does not. Although its interesting that the more scientific and mathematical endeavour uncovers about the awesome nature of reality, the more the apparantly separate worlds of physics cosmology and divinity seem to merge.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 08:17 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:

I couldn't disagree more on that statement Frank.

One lends itself to historical and scientific enquiry. The other does not. Although its interesting that the more scientific and mathematical endeavour uncovers about the awesome nature of reality, the more the apparantly separate worlds of physics cosmology and divinity seem to merge.

Well, you are certainly free to disagree, Steve, but ultimately, Jesus was a fairly insignificant individual in the time and place in which he (supposedly) lived.

I doubt you'd be able to look up his birth cirtificate or any other documents.

There probably has been more investigation of his existence than any other fact on the planet -- and the question has never been resolved to the satisfaction of many.

BOTTOM LINE: Anyone who says "Jesus was a single individual who was born in Bethlehem and died in Jeruselem" is essentially taking the word of a VERY few individuals who may or may not have had private reasons for wanting to create a KILROY. They are, in effect, taking the information "on faith."

We really do not know if a single individual named Jesus lived -- although I personally feel there is enough evidence upon which to base a guess of "I think a single individual existed who was the Jesus of the stories."

Likewise, it is impossible to state absolutely that Jesus did not exist -- and most people who are skeptical DO NOT STATE THEIR SKEPTISM in that way. Most, as Set did, include many qualifiers in what they have to say.
0 Replies