Is it legal to sell coral?

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:15 pm
I have some HUGE chunks of coral that Mr. B and I had from back when we kept aquariums -- 20+ years ago. I think some of it dates from before that.

I was looking around to see if I could sell it and it appears that you have to either have a license or that you have to be able to prove that you have owned it before it became illegal to harvest coral. I don't have a license and I can't prove how long I've had it.

Also, if I can sell it, how would I find out what it's worth and where might one look to sell such things?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 9,494 • Replies: 7

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 07:32 pm
@boomerang,
I'll send an FBI agent over to help you, Boomer. Smile
boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 07:43 pm
@JTT,
Uhhhh.... coral? What coral?

Actually I've been afraid to call around asking questions because the laws about selling coral are really weird. I don't want to list it on craigslist or anything because I can't figure out where I stand. I don't want to call a lawyer because that would cost more than the coral is worth!

Arrrrghhhh.

Some of this stuff is really beautiful -- and it appears to be "rare" -- I'd love for someone to be able to use it. Sitting in my basement for 20 years is hardly doing it any justice.

But speaking of the FBI... have you read about eagle feathers? I just finished a book that Green Witch recommended to me where they talk about the FBI cracking down on people selling eagle feathers and then I watched "Men Who Stare At Goats" and they talked about eagle feathers so I guess I am a bit paranoid about my coral.

I don't want to end up in jail!
Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 07:46 pm
@boomerang,
why don't you check for hobbyists locally.

mr vw had a bunch of really weird semi-valuable rocks that his parents had collected over the years.

the estate sale people were kinda goofy about them.

he called a local geological groupie club, and they all came over had tea, and valued them. made him an offer, too...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 08:15 pm
I did a search on how to sell coral frag in Oregon and found several hobbyist websites that are selling corals to fellow hobbyists.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 08:19 pm
@boomerang,
I use to buy live coral from a pet store when I had my saltwater tank. I guess if they can sell it in a store how can it be illegal?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 06:07 am
Thanks rockhead and Butterflynt, I'll check into hobbyist groups. Maybe some aquarium shops too. That might clarify the law and produce some leads.

I would assume that the shops have a license, jcboy, and that's how they get to sell it. It sounds like a lot of the coral being sold is what they call "cultured coral" which I guess means that it was grown to be sold instead of being taken from the ocean.
0 Replies

alyoopster

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 09:27 pm
@boomerang,
i am interested in purchasing for my home here in florida. please let me know if it is still available. e-mail info and pics to [email protected]

Thanks!
0 Replies