Chinese New Year

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 01:27 am
pueo wrote:
if the information can be believed, rats get along best with dragons and monkeys. i guess thats why lil'k, montana, and i have been "friends" on the net for all these years.

That must be it Pueo :-)

Dragon gets along best with Monkeys and Rats :-)

I guess I'm a Water Dragon. Might explain why I love to swim ;-)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 07:46 am
Lucky red envelopes. Happy New Year!
http://www.newton.mec.edu/Angier/DimSum/dimsumimages/newnew/edgarsungredenv.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:06 am
I have a red necklace on! And a red t-shirt way underneath my sweater.....

Happy new year y'all!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:17 am
Luckily we started celebrating yesterday...

Quote:
The Chinese New Year day is on January 22nd, 2004. Because this is a new moon day, it is the first day of the first Chinese lunar month in the Chinese Lunar Calendar system. The new moon time is at 05:05 on 22-Jan-04 in China time zone. However, the new moon time is at 13:05 of 21-Jan-04 in the US Pacific Standard Time and also at 10:05 of 21-Jan-04 in the US Eastern Standard Time, so the Chinese New Year day is on January 21st, 2004 for USA time zones.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:18 am
damn
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:20 am
Why damn? Didn't you start celebrating yesterday?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:23 am
yeah, but I'm wearing red today. And I'll be eating at the buddhist restaurant for lunch.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:30 am
Wearing a red shirt as well.
Celebration will be very low key as my father-in-law passed away last month.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:48 am
Sorry about your father, George, but red is a good color anytime.

Little k, today is a good day! Enjoy it. They're celebrating right now in China, I'm sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:56 am
Sorry to hear that George.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:02 am
I'm a dog, hubby's a monkey, sozlet's a dragon. Couple of high-powered types to try (and fail) to herd.

The Unpredictable Dragon - The "Theatrical Visionary"
The Entertaining Monkey - The "Merry Mercurial"
The Watchful Dog - The "Vanquishing Vigilante."

It's gonna be a difficult year for me, littlek's site says.

Sigh.

This is actually quite pertinent advice:

Quote:
Dogs have a tendency to complicate matters in Monkey years. Years ruled by the Monkey can bring the culmination of family disturbances, accusations, and losing face. The Dogs reputation may be on the line this year, do not act with haste, but carefully deliberate your options. Even though Dogs resent the carefree attitude and lack of perceived scruples during Monkey years, any vigilante-like rushing into chaos, could bring disastrous results. Take a deep breath and let it be...

Taking deep breath...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:04 am
Uhoh, soz, keep breathing deeply!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:10 am
This one's pretty good, too:

Quote:
The Entertaining Monkey - The "Merry Mercurial"
While a lively year of good times, good friends, and lack of boredom, only rarely are your own Monkey years constructive and capable of permanent development. Monkeys have difficulty staying on a straight and narrow course, tempted to take detours and short-cuts for the pure pleasure of discovery and novelty. However, you do find the year's prevalent upheaval amusing, and will have a strong desire for travel.

We're probably moving this year, new job for E.G., he loves this stuff, I... don't.

Dragon is similarly upbeat, so that's promising for sozlet. (I don't really really believe this stuff, but I'm superstitious enough that I'm heartened by good omens.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:15 am
It's not supposed to be the best of years for me, either.

The Noble Tiger - The "Go-Getter"
Much less supple and adaptable than Monkey's, Tigers prefer clear-cut situations. This makes cloaked Monkey years difficult for the forthright Tiger. The Monkeys tricks and guile cause set-backs for Tigers, bringing criticism, and pointing out weaknesses. However, the formidable Tiger combines their proud-bearing with the wizardry of Money year (?) transforming the Tiger into a fearless tightrope walker.

Do you think that's supposed to be Monkey Year? Money year sounds good but I think it's a misprint.

I like this:
Wishing you the 5 traditional Chinese blessings of Longevity, Wealth, Love of Virtue, Vital Health, and a Natural Ending.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:18 am
I'm a metal dog! (Headbanging alongside littlek).

I won't do more cut and pasting, but seriously, I'd say this is a pretty good encapsulation of my personality (though a bit more adaptable than it indicates... I hope.)

http://www.chineseastrology.com/cgi-local/asiansign.pl
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:25 am
I feel less adaptable than my being a monkey suggests. Then, my western astro. sign is capricorn. Interesting balance there.

Even we monkeys only can expect a mildly good year. It sort of makes sense with the gist of Chinese tradition. Always giving to others and such. The monkey's best friend is the rat and the rat is supposed to have a great year.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:33 am
I'm a capricorn, too, they're very doggy.

You're SURE what year you were born? Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:34 am
eyep, but Soz, I am born on the cusp of Sag, so I have monkey tendencies there.

When was your birthday, soz?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:46 am
This site from 2002 gives you a full birth chart for the hour, day, month and year. It makes it a little confusing because we think of ourselves as just the animal for the year when we were born.

Chinese Astrology from 2002 Black Horse

Scroll down to forecast & then click on Birth Chart. This site can also give you your lucky element(s).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:46 am
Fire rooster checking in.

From the Toronto New Year's festival site : http://www.torontocelebrates.com/04/horoscopes/

Quote:
ROMANCE
If you are married, pay more attention to your spouse to avoid extra-marital affairs. If you are single, be careful as not to have too many boy or girl friends. Nonetheless, your inter-people relations are good.

Shocked
0 Replies