Why are tasers illegal?

trying2learn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:20 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
We had a sad case in my area where some idiot was using a taser to torture animals, including his three dogs. For that reason alone I prefer the public does not have access to them.
That is sad. Taser or gun? What is the difference? Same with pepper spray. You can't stop someone who wants to hurt others (people or animals).
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 03:12 am
The obvious problem I see with tasers is the tendency for them not to be taken seriously by the user. It's a lot easier for someone to pull the trigger on a taser than it is a gun.
The very usefulness of the taser in law enforcement, produces the problem of misuse. The death rate, and the apparent physical damage resulting from the use of tasers is low. This produces a low threshold for willingness to use the weapon.
The same problem would occur in civilian use, the threat threshold is a lot lower for the use of a weapon we see as non-lethal, and which produces no visible injury.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 03:53 pm
@kickycan,
Why don't you get a cattle prod instead? It isn't illegal and almost as effective as a taser.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 03:55 pm
@Linkat,
no it isn't.

have you ever even seen a cattle prod?
Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 04:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Yes i used to use them when I took the subway - it was to avoid subway sleepers from drifting onto me.

Quite effective.

I guess I am assuming Kicky just wants to harm some one a little and not knock them off their feet.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 04:28 pm
@Linkat,
gee lady, I'm kinda groggy.

can you give me a jolt when we get to 58th street?

Shocked
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:04 pm
@chai2,
You are wrong, sister.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dziekański_Taser_incident

"What are the drawbacks?
Amnesty International says that between 2001 and August 2008, 334 Americans died after Taser shocks. The stun gun was deemed to have caused or contributed to at least 50 of those deaths, Amnesty says, citing medical examiners and coroners. Most suspects were unarmed, and many were subjected to repeated or prolonged shocks, according to Amnesty.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2009/03/18/f-taser-faq.html

So, you are WRONG, but that doesn't really surprise me.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:09 pm
@Linkat,
I would think just the sight of one would prevent anyone from sitting next to you. Hmmm, they'd be good, though, in supermarket aisles - you know, on those ignorant people who leave their carts in the middle of the aisle as they ponder which mayo to buy... or on those old ladies who pay their bill in coins they don't know the denomination of (is that a nickel or a quarter?). Just bring out the prod and turn it on, wave it threateningly and see how quickly everyone moves - yeah, love it.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:38 pm
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

perhaps you should learn from someone who is trained and uses them? Oh, maybe it is better to lie and say they are illegal because I can go out and buy one?

those are the exact people who tell everyone that they DO kill people.

good gracious.. dont tell me you are going to pretend to be "trained" with them... ?

wait.. dont poke the badger... dont poke the badger..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:53 pm
@chai2,
I'll have to research, someone was killed just today, taser involved.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, here - http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/10/10/state/n120727D16.DTL
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:59 pm
@Mame,
Actually my acting as a hamster worked wonders on keeping those away from me.

But then once in a while there would be someone just a bit more odd than me - they'd sit next to me and start to doze and slowly, just slowly they would start leaning toward me - where'd their head would be on me - then wham - pull out the cattle prod and with one shot - no longer an issue.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 01:02 pm
@ossobuco,

Thank you Osso for this up to date proof from a credible source. Of course, it just means by a certain person's definition, "You're lying!" Sorry to break it to you so harshly. Dems the breaks!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:12 pm
Notice to All:

Mame said I was wrong, but she didn't mean me.

carry on.
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:14 pm
@chai2,
Well good - because I was considering using the cattle prod on her.
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:18 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Actually my acting as a hamster worked wonders on keeping those away from me.

But then once in a while there would be someone just a bit more odd than me - they'd sit next to me and start to doze and slowly, just slowly they would start leaning toward me - where'd their head would be on me - then wham - pull out the cattle prod and with one shot - no longer an issue.

I ususally just plug 'em between the eyes with that air plugger thing. Like the guy does in No Country for Old Men.

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:33 pm
@chai2,
well that's quite handy - kind of cumbersome to carry around then. A cattle prod is much easier to conceal.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:40 pm
However, IRL shooting someone between the eyes like that would not kill someone.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 04:14 pm
@Linkat,
Actually, hon, I rather LIKE the cattle prod, if you know what I mean...
aacs

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 06:26 am
@kickycan,
It is just a matter of constitutional support that does not exist for tasers. And considering that you can very well imagine if anyone had asked for gun permission today US gov would have permitted it. We can check a lot of legal cases fought by state governments to get the use of weapons etc. banned but only to face the lose at the hands of apex court.