Remote control help

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 01:17 pm
Hello,

Just recently I bought a huge fancy side board for our front room, I want to put my TV on top of it and my other accessories (DVD/Video/Telewet Cable Box) inside it. Problem is it's made out of aluminium so obviously the Remotes don't work.

Is there such a thing as a remote which can pass through aluminium draws, if there is does anyone know where to get them in the UK and roughly how much I'll have to spend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,652 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 01:53 pm
Without getting into specifics you have no practical through-aluminum solution.

It needs to be glass, or at least transparent. And even if there were a non-infra-red based remote out there your devices would still need to receive infra-red or be modified themselves.

So in short, it won't work and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Pauliepaul

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 02:02 pm
Thanks I though so Sad The woman who sold the side board to my Girlfriend told her I could buy a radio wave remote control unit.

That'll teach me to stay in on Saturday playing PS2 instead of going out to buy a side board Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 02:21 pm
Well I might be wrong. I just thought of a way in theory that it could be done without modifying the devices. I don't know if it exists but in theory it's possible.

For example the signals can be transmitted to another device on the other side of the aluminum that would send the infra-red signal, meaning the devices don't have to be modified and they can receive through infra-red.

So it can be done. I just don't think it's readily available.
0 Replies

Pauliepaul

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 04:09 pm
Hmmm intresting... I'll Ask around on Totenham Court Road this weekend. Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 04:45 pm
The woman that gave your g/f the line about using a RF remote should be shot.

Do a web search on "Infrared remote extender". You can find a box or two that will do what Craven suggested. They're just a Infrared receiver wired to another transmitter. You could sit the receiver on top of your sideboard and put the transmitter inside to re-transmit your signals to the devices.
0 Replies

Pauliepaul

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 06:59 pm
Magic, found it

The second diagram should do the trick

Using an IR remote from outside to appliances inside a box

Thanks for that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 01:38 am
This is very interesting. I know nothing about this stuff, but I just learned something new and met someone new.

Welcome to A2K :-)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:10 am
Oh come on Montana! You've known me for a long time now. Wink Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:24 am
Well, by golly Fishin, now that I see your name again, I believe you're right. How foolish do I feel ;-)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:28 am
*snicker*
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:46 am
:-D
0 Replies