Captain Correlli's Mandolin

annifa

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:25 pm
Re: Captain Correlli's Mandolin
annifa wrote:

If anyone has any of their own opinions of t'book I would be muchly greatful..

I can spell, can't I?

..just accidently edited first post when i meant to quote from it.. i'm computer literate, aren't i?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:37 pm
Well it's your language. I guess you can do what you want with it. Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 03:55 am
I agree that the book was far better than the film, which in true Hollywood fashion edited out the essential elements and put a wooden actor in as Captain Corelli ... and gave it a typical Hollywood happy ending, which the book didn't have. The film was just ok.

Films that are true to the book work better - look at the Lord of the Rings - changes made for cinematography reasons didn't change the essentials of the story. Characters were right and brilliantly cast.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:38 pm
I suppose it didn't help that i watched the film on a dodgy tv that made the picture go green... most of the time was spent not concentrating on the film but becoming infuriated by its greenyness...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:13 pm
I agree with Vivien.

I re-read the book recently, after seeing the movie. The book was far better, not as sanitised. Movie was "nice" and that's not necessarily a good review!
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
vroonika wrote:
lol...hmm dunno why captain is omitted in some copies ...I wonder whether twas de B who decided that or whether he was pushed by publishers abroad...which begs the question 'WHY?'

It beggers belief!
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:56 pm
weirdo
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 12:57 pm
I know I am. Seem to have gone a bit mad on this website of late. ho hum.

You, vroooon, are a tart.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:32 pm
But then tarts can be very popular and much sought after (see Lewis Carroll for in-depth discussion).

I did not read the book, but I did see the movie, and I was not impressed.
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:19 am
how rude miss annifa
0 Replies