Captain Correlli's Mandolin

annifa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:00 am
Good eve'nin/afternoon/mornin or similar..
Anyone know where I can find a good review of 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' by Louis de Bernieres? Im doing research for coursework, and need to know other readers opinions.. bleedin' google insists on throwing up reviews of the god awful film adaptation.
If anyone has any of their own opinions of t'book I would be muchly greatful..
The question i have chosen focuses on the way de Bernieres portrays the brutality and/or the nobility of war. Personally i feel there is nothing noble about any war..
Any opinions (noble/brutal/etc), pray tell..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,434 • Replies: 29
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:05 am
Hi annifa. It's been 9 years since I read the book, so I don't think I can help with specifics. However, Amazon has a lot of short reviews here:

Amazon's page on Corelli's Mandolin

I'll keep looking for a more lengthy review and see what I find.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 09:16 am
Here are a couple of more in depth articles:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/books_magazines/print_books/captain_corellis_mandolin_louis_de_bernieres/_review/331156/

http://www.aarp.org/booktalk/corellis.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:25 pm
Re: Captain Correlli's Mandolin
annifa wrote:
Good eve'nin/afternoon/mornin or similar..
Anyone know where I can find a good review of 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' by Louis de Bernieres? Im doing research for coursework, and need to know other readers opinions.. bleedin' google insists on throwing up reviews of the god awful film adaptation.
If anyone has any of their own opinions of t'book I would be muchly greatful..
The question i have chosen focuses on the way de Bernieres portrays the brutality and/or the nobility of war. Personally i feel there is nothing noble about any war..
Any opinions (noble/brutal/etc), pray tell..

I'm surprised you think the film was god awful.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 05:37 am
In my opinion it was typical Hollywood smush and it bore little relation to the book.
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:22 am
The film was a gross misrepresentation of a thoroughly enjoyable book...erm nothing 'useful' to declare nope, sorry an'fa!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:54 pm
It does happens quite frequently that watching a movie after reading the book disappoints. But it is hard for this to be typical Hollywood when the director is English and the screenplay is written by a South African.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:53 pm
Ay, but it was put out by Universal Studios...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:31 am
Well, that is damning.

I didn't love the movie but I liked it. The visuals were stunning. It is a mistake to assume the movie will follow the book; it is always disappointing to hope that it will.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:19 pm
Have read a bit of de Bernieres (sp?), but not the book in question, and haven't seen the movie, so I'm in no position to damn anything but the previews and the casting.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 01:10 pm
The Daily Telegraph (English newspaper) did a good review of it when it was published - could you find it in their archives????
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:12 pm
Hollywood or not hollywood, methinks that the film was a bit rubbish. They should have called it "Penny and Nick fall in love.." (all together now: 'awwwww'), much more fitting than "captain corelli's mandolin".
Anyways, thanks v much for the help everyone!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 04:18 pm
Note that the title of the book is "Corelli's Mandalin." The filmmakers added "Captain," presumably because they thought it would make guys more likely to acquiesce to seeing it.
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 01:05 pm
Note that the English version of the book is 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' and that Louis de Bernieres is English so go figure...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:24 pm
Huh. Seems it's been printed with both titles. The one on sale at amazon.com is sans "Captain" (which is also how it's listed under "Other Books by This Author" in my copy of "The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman" et al), but other copies include "Captain." Go fig...

http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/kefallonia/photos/book.JPG

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0749397543.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 02:03 pm
lol...hmm dunno why captain is omitted in some copies ...I wonder whether twas de B who decided that or whether he was pushed by publishers abroad...which begs the question 'WHY?'
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:56 pm
Dunno. I assumed it were the movie folks, like I said. Personally, I think it's got a much better sound without Captain, but, then -- I abhor change...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:01 pm
I have an oldish Vintage paperback with "Captain" in the title. Probably late 90's, before the movie, though.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:14 pm
from abebooks.com -- this was the first edition....

DE BERNIERES, Louis.
Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
London: Secker & Warburg, 1994. 8vo. Fine in publisher's white cloth binding. Fine dust wrapper. FIRST EDITION, FIRST ISSUE. Callil & Toibin; Modern Library. (200 Best Novels in English since 1950). Bookseller Inventory #AHAR-16574
Price: US$ 1868.78
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 06:04 pm
The first picture above is the edition I remember from winter/spring of 1994 when someone I knew was adapting the book for the stage. Go fig.
0 Replies