The Joys of Smoke Detectors

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:22 pm
Alright, so I'm on night #2 of 3 - 4 hours of sleep. So if the below ramblings make zero sense, that's my reason and I'm sticking to it.

So we have the First Alert fire detection system at our house. It's a fairly new house, totally under warranty (thank God), and so the builder will hopefully be able to help rectify the issue.

We have a combined smoke/co2 detector system. It's wired with AC and linked so that when one goes off, they all go off. And these things are loud enough to wake the neighbors down the street. First night, they went off and alerted that there was a co2 buildup in the basement. I got everyone out of the house and called the fire department.

They found absolutely no trace of co2. Zero ppm. We shook hands at 2:00am and they left, we went back to sleep. The next night, same thing. I disconnected the detectors in the basement, and started walking back up the stairs when the detector at the top of the basement flight tripped. I took that one off too. They stayed off the rest of the night.

This morning, one of the ones in the upstairs area went off. I took it off as well, and after driving the dog to a playgroup so she could settle down a bit I came back home and have been testing these things all day. Here's what I found:

Not a single one of them tests properly. According to the manuals for the two different types of units we have, there should be a definitive set of flashing lights and horns each time I test a unit. Every single unit responds differently to the test. I've called the builder and he's also clueless. So my next step is to call the alarm company and see what they say.

This wasn't really a question, mostly just a vent and gripe and a general curiosity of whether anyone else has had similar problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:29 pm
@Questioner,
Oh, man, what a pain in the patoot.

Years ago we had 'built in' smoke alarms that would go off in the middle of the night. This involved one of us standing on a footstool or something like it and reaching up with a broom to shut the damned thing off (I forget just how). Anyway, our electrician explained that spiders tended to nest in them, thus triggering the alarm..

I know, of course, this isn't the problem at your house.
I'd be interested to know if your neighbors have had similar problems.
My own "townhouse" type place was built by cretins and fools and inspected by an apparent blind man, so I'm a little cynical.

Good luck!
Questioner

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:53 am
@ossobuco,
UPDATE:

I replaced all of the batteries throughout the house, and the builder came by and picked up two units that wouldn't do anything and replaced them with two new ones. So far *knock on wood* the alarms haven't tripped again.

The neighbors across the street have the same setup, and they recommend replacing the battery every 6 months like clockwork, and vacuuming the units out once a month.

Will give it a shot. It was nice to sleep through the night.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:44 am
@Questioner,
I'm wondering about how competent your fire department is at testing CO2.

Normal environmental level is 350-400 parts per million. If there were zero CO2, you would stop breathing.....
Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:47 am
@DrewDad,
methinks he means CO.

the monoxide one...
Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:48 am
@DrewDad,
Detectors detect CO, not CO2. CO2 is our friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_detector

Besides, the way I read this, the FD detected an accurate reading no pereceptible level of CO. So the detectors are giving false readings due to power or some defect issues.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Ah. Should've thought it through a little better....

I suppose I watched Apollo 13 too recently.
Questioner

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Would have helped if I had written it out properly as well. My fault.
0 Replies