Why would the US flag be at half mast today?

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:34 am
This is both a question and a discussion.

Presently, I'm on a Greyhound bus to Boston via Hartford, CT. We're making a stop at New Haven, CT when I noticed a US flag at half mast. I was wondering if anyone knew who that was for? [The question....]

Many times, walking around NYC as well a traveling to other regions, I have often noticed a particular flag or a set of US flags at half mast. Is there a place where one can find out for whom they are memorializing? Do you notice when US flags at government and corparate buildings are at half mast? Should we continue said practice merely for politicians and other famous, important figures since it's impossible have these 'public' flags at half mast for everyone who died that day or week?

What is the protocol regarding who gets honored and for how long the flag will stay at half mast? [The discussion ....]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,648 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:07 am
@tsarstepan,
It was in memoriam of the Red Sox failure to make the post-season, what else?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:15 am
@Ragman,
But of course. Sad
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:36 am
Anybody can decide to fly their flags at half mast, but only the president or governor can order the flags to be flown at half mast.

A lot of towns will fly them half mast in honor of soldiers, firemen, police officers, local government officials, veterans, etc.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:46 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Anybody can decide to fly their flags at half mast, but only the president or governor can order the flags to be flown at half mast.

A lot of towns will fly them half mast in honor of soldiers, firemen, police officers, local government officials, veterans, etc.
I think that 's as to their own flags flown on their own realty.

David
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 12:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The President as well as state governors can order the U.S. flag to be lowered to half-staff. If you google in "flags at half staff Sept 29th" and a location, you can find out whom is being honored.
As I recall, no flags can fly higher then the U.S. flag so the state flag would also be lowered.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 01:10 pm
In June I was visiting the office where my daughter works in Los Angeles. Her office building is near several television and movie studios. The CBS studios had their flags at half-mast. My daughter's boyfriend told me that CBS was doing that because of the death of James Arness.
0 Replies