Bible stories

Lionnir

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 02:49 pm
i have to write a paper about something from the bible and relate it to today can anyone help me with an idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,209 • Replies: 21

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 02:51 pm
@Lionnir,
David and Goliath is a classic example used in many Big Guy vs Little Guy scenarios.
0 Replies

Lionnir

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 02:46 pm
@Lionnir,
how could i relate Daniel in the lions den to modern day?
Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 02:54 pm
@Lionnir,
How old are you? I have to ask because you were given many ideas (mostly adult topics) on another thread and yet you pick something that seems completely out of the realm of possibilities and more like a fairy tale.
Questioner

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 02:55 pm
@Lionnir,
Well, Daniel was being put to death for his beliefs. So you could draw comparisons to standing by your convictions today. Standing up for what you believe in even if the consequences of doing so are dire, etc.

0 Replies

Lionnir

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:51 pm
@Green Witch,
I just turned 18 in july
Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:55 pm
@Lionnir,
I suggest you tackle one of the bigger grown-up topics. If you were a kid I would say you might be able to milk the Daniel and the lions story, but at your age you can think deeper - or at least you should try.
Lionnir

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:56 pm
@Green Witch,
like what?
Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 06:27 pm
@Lionnir,
Remember, I'm the one who said I don't think there was much in the bible that is relevant to the 21st century. The bible is mostly stories of war, rape, incest, murder, misunderstandings and people brutalizing other people. Not that those things don't happen today, it's just there doesn't seem to be any significant connection. However, you might want to talk about why some people have such hatred towards homosexuality and then find the references in the bible that they use to make their case. There is that wacky church that protests at military funerals because they claim God is punishing the US for allowing homosexuals to have rights. They claim the "word of God" is what drives them to this action and they believe that God's word is the bible. Many Christians claim to follow the teaching of Jesus, who loved and accepted everyone, but then use Old Testament references to do just the opposite.

Some people also use the story of Jacob and Esau to justify the conflict of Israel and Palestine. It's historically incorrect to do so, but that has never stopped a fanatic from doing it.

Questioner

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 07:12 pm
@Green Witch,
There are those that would strongly disagree with your assertion that the bible is irrelevant to this century. Also your statement that Jesus loved and accepted everyone is erroneous. He forgave those that wished forgiveness (see repentance) sure, but even when he was hanging on the cross he accepted only one of the two beside him.

Of course, none of that means anything if you don't believe it, and misinterpretations of the bible are a dime a dozen, including that wingnut group that pickets soldier's funerals.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 08:16 pm
@Questioner,
I fully understand my opinion is a personal one. I did go through a number of bible stories and found, like the poster, I couldn't find one that seemed to inspire a relevant lesson for our times. I started with Genesis (banishment by cranky god for wanting knowledge), Cain & Abel (sibling murder), Abraham & Issac (willingness to murder one's child to please a voice in ones head), Leah & Rachel (trickery & bigamy), Jacob & Esau (sibling rivalry & trickery) Lot's wife (more cranky god), Noah (cranky, demanding god destroying his toys), Jonah (god torturing someone who doesn't deserve it) and Moses ( cranky god murdering babies to punish the stubborn grown-ups). This sort of went on in my head up to the letters of Paul where he is not very nice to slaves or women. It's true, it's has been a long time since I seriously examined the bible, but my quick review, at the request of the poster, did not easily come upon a story that translated into a lesson for our times. I am sure Lionnir will welcome suggestions from your more bible friendly perspective.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 08:35 pm
@Green Witch,
Geez Green Witch. Talk about negative spin. You are completely misinterpreting many of these stories. It seems like you want to make the Bible sound worse than it is.

Jonah is exactly the opposite of what you say. God and Jonah have an interesting discussion where Jonah is upset because God doesn't destroy the city. Jacob and Esau is about reconciliation and forgiveness. And you have glossed over the nice stories like the love of Ruth and the heroism of Esther.

Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 08:40 pm
@maxdancona,
It's true. I'm not a fan. At least not in the religious sense, the text is interesting from a literary perspective. As I mentioned with Q., I think the poster would welcome more suggestions. And yes, the stories of Ruth and Esther are a good example of something the poster could use with a positive spin.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 04:52 am
@Lionnir,
Actually, the story of Daniel in the lion's den is about the phenomenal power of courage and faith.
It is as applicable today as it ever was.
There are even people using the same philosophy to deal with actual lions today.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 06:24 am
@wayne,
Daniel can also be used for business ethics.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:37 am
You have the story of Adam and Eve and the temptation with the snake and the apple.
It is a story with architypal figures.
You will find it also in Snow White - the evil step mother and the apple. Again temptation by someone.
Can you find a connection between those two? CanĀ“t be that difficult and then get into our modern life. Apple - the computor. Not that it is evil in any way.
But there is the temptation to buy something you cannot afford, get addicted to it......
Lionnir

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:25 am
@Questioner,
"misinterpretations of the bible are a dime a dozen" i don't think there is such thing as misinterpretation of the bible because the bible is SO deep you can read it over and over and find something new every time!
Lionnir

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:30 am
@saab,
i love this!!!!! i have to write two papers, one short the other long, and with the whole apple computer today is a great idea because if you looked at the first ever apple commercial it wanted people to stop conforming and buy there computer and now everyone is just conforming to there group instead the others!!!!
Questioner

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:36 am
@Lionnir,
I disagree entirely. There are vast misinterpretations of it. However I agree that many times when people read it they find new parts that they can specifically relate to at that point in their lives.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 12:18 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

I disagree entirely. There are vast misinterpretations of it. However I agree that many times when people read it they find new parts that they can specifically relate to at that point in their lives.

Like the part about uncircumcised Philistines.