Probability Theory Problem

Alex13

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:00 pm
Suppose that two defective refrigerators have been inclued in a shipment of sex refrigerators. The buyer begins to test the six refrigerators one at a time.

When given that exactly one of the two defective refrigerators has been located in the first two tests, what is the probability that the remaining defective refrigerator is found in the third or fourth test?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,435 • Replies: 2
No top replies

markr

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:16 pm
@Alex13,
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 11:36 pm
@Alex13,
I know nothing of sex refrigerators but I'm always up for the challenge.

Given that two tests have been carried out you require the probability than the remaining defective unit is in the third or fourth sex refrigerator.

The probability of achieving what some might describe as a defective unit in either of the first two of the remaining 4 sex refrigerators is :

1 chance in 4 the 3rd sex refrigerator will malfunction plus the chance that the 3rd will not malfunction (3 chances in 4) times the chance that the 4th will ( 1 chance in 3).

In total 1 chance in 4 of a defective 3rd unit plus 1 chance in 4 of a defective 4th unit equals o.5.

Please advice names and where I can visit the sex refrigerators.

0 Replies