@jamesbenjaminjrmd,
is this a trick question?

are you guys from decryptonite?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 12:43 am
@jamesbenjaminjrmd,
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesesouprecipes/r/swallowsnest.htm

Also known as Bird's Nest Soup, this sweet dessert soup is made from the nests of the swiftlet, a type of swallow.
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Ingredients:

2 ounces birds nest
7 to 8 tablespoons crushed rock sugar, or to taste
4 cups water

Preparation:
Prepare the bird's nest: soak it in cold water for several hours or overnight. Rinse well. Go over the nests and pick out any loose feathers.
Boil the bird's nests twice: Bring a pot of water to boil and simmer the bird's nests for about 5 minutes. Again, rinse well and squeeze dry.
Place the bird's nests in the pot and add the water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the bird's nests are quite soft (up to 2 hours). Add the rock sugar, stirring to dissolve. Serve the soup hot.

Note: You'll want to save this for a special occasion. Authentic bird's nests are quite expensive, not surprising given that the nests come from the hardened saliva of the swiftlet swallow. It could be a good choice for a romantic evening, as bird's nest is rumored to be an aphrodisiac.
roger

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 12:45 am
@jamesbenjaminjrmd,
You mean, to which food group does it belong?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 09:58 am
@Butrflynet,
What the? Probably has bird poop in it too.

Sounds wonderful
roger

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
On a remarkabley similar thread, Ceili observed that the things were made of regurgitated fish. I suppose the nests would be considered "meat."
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 03:47 pm
@roger,
My former business partner saved birds' nests from some site demo jobs.

They were beautiful and different from each other.

I could not begin, now, to figure them out as part of a food group - I suppose vegetable with added protein.

I also don't know the history of the soup - that would be interesting. A function of starvation? Or something more elegant?

EDIT - just read Roger's post. So they aren't actual nests? Or nests near rivers?

roger

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 03:56 pm
@ossobuco,
My assumption is that they are actual nests, but not made with the usual assortment of twigs, feathers, and what-not. As Linkat mentions, there is probably a certain quantity of extraneous organic material included.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 04:03 pm
I tried bird's nest soup once. I tried shark's fin soup once too. I didn't feel the need or inclination to try either of them a second time.
0 Replies