Is it Time to Tax Financial Transactions??

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:29 pm
The Europeans are insistent that this is required, as it will both dampen speculation and will create a new and needed revenue stream to fill government coffers. The Americans say that the idea is DOA and the Brits are only for it if it is global.

My position is that this is a good idea, and I furthermore think that we should tax all buying and selling of equities and commodities, that if we did we would put a stake through the flash traders who move their money around multiple times a day and thus destabilize our economic system.

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,144 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Meanwhile, negotiations over a plan to introduce a financial transactions tax are proving difficult, meeting resistance from the U.K. and Sweden after the U.S. signalled it won't back the plan.

The European Commission is set on proposing a tax on trading shares and bonds, foreign exchange and derivatives in the coming weeks, for all 27 EU member countries, after France and Germany, the region's two largest economies, backed the idea. The EU also plans to press the case at a summit of the Group of 20 leading economies in November.

But Polish Finance Minister Jacek Rostowski, who chaired the meeting Saturday, said EU leaders are "very much divided on this" and the tax isn't expected to be a crucial element in strategies to stabilize the economic crisis.

Geithner told his European peers on Friday that the U.S. would not back a financial transactions tax.

The U.K. has long said it would only agree to such a tax if it was global.

The U.K. is Europe's biggest financial center and says it would only support such a tax if it is implemented around the world for fear that it could lose businesses key to its economy.

"I must confess it's not so evident we'll meet agreement in Europe about that," Belgian Finance Minister Didier Reynders said. "If it's not possible, we will maybe discuss on the euro zone."

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110917-700982.html
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
I actually agree with this as I feel that the Dow Jones is extremely manipulated by flash traders and allowing to sell stocks short. I am also for more accountability/liability by brokerage firms who give these traders a platform to manipulate the market.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:48 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I actually agree with this as I feel that the Dow Jones is extremely manipulated by flash traders and allowing to sell stocks short. I am also for more accountability/liability by brokerage firms who give these traders a platform to manipulate the market.
The free market means that one is free to decide for themselves what to buy and sell, it does not include the right to constantly churn deals as one tries to game the system. I dont think that the free market advocates have a leg to stand on here, the system MUST confront the opportunists who dont add anything to our economic strength, must try to kill off the leaches who suck wealth from those who do the work or who have committed capital in the attempt to build something. This is a proper roll for government as they look out for the best interests of the majority of their citizens.
JPB

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
The fees associated with your 401Ks and mutual funds would skyrocket.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:54 pm
@JPB,
Then you aren't in buy and hold funds if a small tax on transactions would cause your fees to skyrocket.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:57 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

The fees associated with your 401Ks and mutual funds would skyrocket.
Account managers would either adapt to the new law of the land, or parish. I dont see fees as a problem, the free market of people being able to choose which funds they use is the fix.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 05:58 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Then you aren't in buy and hold funds if a small tax on transactions would cause your fees to skyrocket.
The tax would certainly be a micro tax, far less than 1%, it would only be a problem for those who do lots of transactions.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 06:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Account managers would either adapt to the new law of the land, or parish.[sic]

Wall Street getting religion?

It might well be worth it.
0 Replies

jackbrown30

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 07:49 am
The idea of DOA came from America and it is only for Americans not for any other country. If they plan for global then Brits has definitely benefit. I think you are right, if we pay a tax for all buying and selling items then it will be beneficial for whole country.
0 Replies