Why the poor are poor.

woen

Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:26 am
Poverty has many causes. First, it is due to severe droughts. Irregular weathers
have been so frequent for many years. As a consequence, farming faces hard
times and farmers give up their jobs, abandon their land and move to cities.
Another reason is that wars : civil wars, ethnic wars etc break out here and
there. As a result, millions of people leave their homeland in search of a safer
place. Globalization has made the poor poorer and the rich richer. Hence,
poverty has led millions of people throughout the world to immigrate to richer
and safer places.
Germlat

Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:31 am
I've been poor and rich. I'm still the same person. What I'm most amazed at is how differently I was viewed.
0 Replies

Germlat

Tue 18 Feb, 2014 04:02 pm
@woen,
Jared Diamond's books explain the possible causes of poverty very well.
0 Replies

crayon851

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:13 am
@Josef cv,
you need to define your levels of poor. poor in the sense that yiu cant afford basic clothes,food,shelter,clean water is different from poor and not being able to afford a bmw.

yes some people are poor to lack of ambition. however, some work 2-3 jobs at min wage just to support themselves or their families. thats just because they dont have the education on how to advance themselves.

we cant end relative poverty, without affecting our technological advances, but we can end poverty that affects basic needs.

we need to start by elimintating stupid government waste. if the govt was a business theyd be banjrupt a long time ago.so we need a complete overhaul of the politicians and reassessment of how muvh they shiuld actually be paid. the excess money from taxes can now go to programs that can benefit the community.
0 Replies

Germlat

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 07:09 am
@Josef cv,
What makes you think the poor don't work?
tsarstepan

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 07:17 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

What makes you think the poor don't work?

Why are you asking this question now to a person who hasn't been around since 2011?
Quote:
The Holocaust Is A Lie
Thu 15 Sep, 2011 04:44 pm - Goodness, J, you sure are an angry young man, aren't you, Bubba? (view)

His last post here.
Germlat

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 07:33 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm bad about not noticing. Sometimes it reawakens a discussion though.
0 Replies

glent9

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 07:42 am
@Josef cv,
Poverty is created by a lack of democracy.
Lustig Andrei

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:06 pm
@glent9,
glent9 wrote:

Poverty is created by a lack of democracy.

Could you elaborate on that thought, please? I see plenty of poverty in countries which seem to be democracies.
0 Replies

thack45

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:15 pm
Do you really want an elaboration of that notion? Poverty is clearly created by poor people.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:17 pm
What exactly does "poor" mean anyway?
We all eat well don't we, and have a roof over our head and a TV and computer?
What more can we possibly want?
thack45

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:18 pm
Enough to keep the poor people poor..
0 Replies

Germlat

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:37 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Do you understand famine and malnutrition exist outside your circle?
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 05:42 pm
@Germlat,
If people have more babies than their land can support, they bring famine on themselves, it's not rocket science..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Atten1_zpsfb8bb045.jpg~original
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Atten2_zpscc202b72.jpg~original
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:04 pm
Here's another perspective why there are poor people in this world. Believe it or not, many people in this world are poor because of poor governance - or tyrants controlling their country. The majority of times, it's not the people's fault that they are poor.

Here are some real life observations from my many travels around this world.
I remember my first visit to Russia in the year 2000 on a cruise from Moscow to St Petersburg. The staff on our boat were all professionals; doctors, lawyers and professors because they were multi-lingual. They were our waiters, housekeepers, bartenders, and other service staff. While in St Petersburg, on the main pedestrian street, Nevsky Prospect, most people wore clothing similar to third world countries. Six years later, the staff on our boat were college students, because the professionals earned better salaries, and the locals on Nevsky Prospect wore very nice clothes, and the hotels and buildings were upgraded.

I visit Cuba often, about five times within the past three years. Cuba's people are an 'over-skilled' people with good education, because education is free. However, the average income for Cubans is $20 per month. Cuba has two currencies; one for the locals, and one for tourists. The value between the local and tourist currencies are far apart in value. One local money, the CUP is worth about .04c, but the tourist money, the CUC is equivalent to the US $1. However, exchanging US currency is very expensive. You'll get .87 pesos for US$1.

The people of Cuba are not poor because they are lazy or live off the government. The government subsidizes their accommodations and food, but most of their living quarters are unsafe and old. The economy of Cuba is considered the least free. The government of Cuba is now loosening their grip on private enterprise, but with no way to borrow money, it will remain a struggle for the majority of Cubans. Most businesses are owned or controlled by the government, and they take 50% of all income.

Those of us who were lucky to have lived since WWII are the lucky generation when our economy picked up after the war, and education and job opportunities were in abundance. Even then, many students were unable to attend college because their parents couldn't afford it. Even countries directly impacted by the war worked hard to regain their economic prowess, and became wealthy countries. But with the majority of those that were able to develop their economies, there also remained the people who lived in poverty. There were no country where 100% of the population enjoyed a high standard of living. No economy can guarantee that everyone will enjoy its wealth.

The poor are poor because of many extenuating circumstances, and they are complex. Even in the US, every one in six lives in poverty. Poverty can result from a major illness in a family, drug use, violence, peer group influence, divorce, job layoff, homelessness, lack of jobs, and the wrong neighborhood.

High crime cities like Oakland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Stockton CA, Miami, Buffalo, and many, many, more - are not conducive to good education and jobs.

It certainly isn't because they're too lazy to work.

0 Replies

Germlat

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:04 pm
@Germlat,
Give suggestions to solve poverty...
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:11 pm
@Germlat,
Here's a suggestion to stop poverty- tell the native men to keep their flies zipped up, and tell the native women to stop dropping their nix..Smile
Germlat

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:14 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You'd have to tell many people that...what the hell have you contributed to society to make you feel so superior? I'm talking about you and your family.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:16 pm
Quote:
Cicerone said: The people of Cuba are not poor because they are lazy or live off the government.

Plus Castro is sitting on the big bucks Guantanamo Bay rent money that the USA has been paying him for donkeys years, instead of plowing it into the Cuban economy for the good of his people, what a shmuck he is..
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 06:21 pm
Quote:
Germlat asked: What the hell have you contributed to society to make you feel so superior? I'm talking about you and your family.

We single doods are rolling in cash, my nieces and nephews regard me as a "cash machine" to come running to whenever they need a handout, I bought youngest niece a car last year, and bought oldest niece a new garden patio..Smile