Physics Question on Catapults

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:43 pm
Hi.

Does anyone know where I can find a website or other source of reference on the physics of a catapult. I have to do a report on it for my Physics class.

Thanks
Robert
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,747 • Replies: 5
No top replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 09:00 pm
May I suggest that to get you started you look on the label of most any rifle ammunition container.

The ballistics information that you find there can be adapted to catapults without too much trouble. Also slingshots, and daredevil motorcycle jumps could be done the same way.

The ballistics are the same. It's only the motive power thats different.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:37 pm
Robert,

This page will get you started.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question127.htm

Good luck.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:43 pm
aKa,

What are you talking about?

I don't happen to have any ammo with me at the moment, but I can't imagine there would be any informaton there relevent to catapults.

In flight, the physics is quite different. Rifle shells are signicantly faster which means they are suseptible to forces that are insignificant to a catapult shot. Rifle bullets are also "rifled" which changes the dynamics subtantially.

Of course the means of propelling the respective projectiles are very different.

But I am curious. What information could possibly be useful on a box of bullets and to a catapult user?
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 02:25 pm
E.Browne,

Whether the projectile issues from a catapult, a slingshot, a rifle, a star, or a flashlight the basic mechanical problem is the same. The problem being that to use anyone of those things you have to know where the projectile will be at some time in the future and how much energy it will have when it gets there.

After the projectile leaves the instrument you have no control over it at all. Then comes the "art-science" of ballistics.

The ballistics information on a box of rifle ammunition gives you that information, for that particular cartridge, often laid out very nicely.

I thought that seeing a chart laid out like that would give a student some ideas on making a chart of his own with the particulars of his particular machine in mind.

Since catapults are mostly used in similar environments to a rifle the major differences will be in the increase of air resistance at higher speeds.
Since we as of yet have no knowledge of where he wishes to use this machine discussing trajectories in different environments would be a bit premature.

A further instance. The rifling changes the response of a projectile to air pressure by allowing a smaller frontal area for a given amount of mass, and maintaining that attitude.
On the moon a "slug" would do as well!

Thats a good link Very Happy
0 Replies

Robert2513

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 04:06 pm
Thanks for the info.

I checked out that website and one link was on "The Physics of the Trebuchet"; would the concepts on a catapult and trebuchet be the same?
0 Replies