Vote for this good cause plz.

Builder

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:45 pm
Just your first name and any email address required. Confirm your vote with the email.

http://sunsuperdreams.com.au/dream/view/adult-survivors-of-childhood-sexual-assault

Thanking you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,169 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Builder

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:37 am
Bump. You do know that one in three women, and one in six men are adult survivors of childhood sexual assault or rape?

Please vote for this. If that's all you ever do to help, it might make a difference. Thankyou.......
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:54 am
I think people are wary of clicking on a link without more substantial information.
Builder

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Fair call. It's a simple task, really. The link is to a contest where people post their dreams for the month, and the dream with the most votes wins the prize.

Here's the dream, and I didn't post it. Just know these people well.

A good friend of mine is a survivor of childhood rape by a well known paedophile and there is currently very little in the way of government support available for people like her, so she is in the process of establishing a new support group, with the eventual goal of creating actual retreats, where survivors can go at times when they are feeling overwhelmed, alone and unsupported.

Adult survivors of childhood sexual violence and rape often find that they have nowhere to turn for help, and feel simply forgotten and left to fend for themselves with minimal support. They are often thought to be lucky to have survived the attack, and most people think they should simply “put it behind them” or “get on with their life”. That is rarely the reality. The disruption of development into adulthood that results from an attack during childhood, is well documented, and the health system is currently not able to deal with adult survivors effectively. The following excerpt is from the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs report 2008;

(9.52) There is a serious lack of capacity in the Australian mental health
workforce to treat adult survivors of childhood sexual assault. Although child
abuse sits at the heart of the public mental health burden, trauma and
dissociation are not part of core psychiatric or psychological curriculum
in Australia. As a result, the majority of mental health professionals lack the
training and skills to ameliorate trauma-related mental health issues amongst
children or adults.[57]. My friend is in the process of creating a Non profit org that will help support fellow survivors and is passionate and commited to making a difference.
0 Replies