What is up with the Internet becoming Less Usable?

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:31 am
By this I mean less searchable....a few months back Google took away the the search with-in" option and now Yahoo! News will not let users stack search results by time...the best we can do is get a batch of the last days results, which for most searches of popular news stories will yield tens or hundreds of pages. The internet is only as good as is our ability to sift it for what we want efficiently, and are sifters are turning to ****.

Does anyone know why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,519 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 03:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I would say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Get a good book and build some synapses in your brain.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:05 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I would say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Get a good book and build some synapses in your brain.
Do you dispute the assertion that any vast information deposit is only as good as is the ability to sift it??
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 12:58 am
Quote:
Yahoo's chief executive Carol Bartz has been fired by the internet company after two-and-a-half years in the top job.

The company said in a statement that Ms Bartz was removed by the board of directors, effective immediately.

Tim Morse, Yahoo's chief financial officer, will take over from Ms Bartz.

Yahoo has been struggling to increase its market share as it faces increased competition from rivals such as Google and Facebook.

Yahoo shares jumped more than 6% in after-hours trading after news of the firing broke, indicating they would trade higher when Wall Street opens for business on Wednesday. Yahoo's stock price was up at $13.72, an increase of 81 cents.

Mr Morse will serve as interim chief executive and the board of directors will look for a new CEO, the company said.

No turnaround
Ms Bartz was hired to run Yahoo in early 2009, taking over from co-founder Jerry Yang.

She made significant changes to the management team and cut jobs to save on costs. She also shifted the focus of the traditionally search-oriented firm towards more personalized content.

However, Larry Magid, a technology analyst at C-net, said the company has not seen enough of a turn-around under Ms Bartz's leadership.

"She hasn't done anything to change the company's fortunes, and they are still anxious to find a leader who can move them up," he said

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14816077

GOOD...and someone should do a study on the failure rate of female leaders of tech companies....it seems high compared to the men.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
FORTUNE -- Here is what Carol Bartz thinks of the Yahoo (YHOO) board that fired her: "These people f---ed me over," she says, in her first interview since her dismissal from the CEO role late Tuesday.
Last evening, barely 24 hours after Yahoo chairman Roy Bostock called Bartz on her cell phone to tell her the news, she called from her Silicon Valley home ("There are reporters at the gate… a lot of them.") to tell Fortune, exclusively, how the ax came down.
On Tuesday, Bartz was in New York, to speak at Citigroup's (C) technology conference the next day, when she was supposed to call Bostock at 6 p.m. "I called him at 6:06," she recalls. When he got on the line, she says, he started reading a lawyer's prepared statement to dismiss her.
"I said, 'Roy, I think that's a script,'" adding, "'Why don't you have the balls to tell me yourself?'"
When Bostock finished reading, Bartz didn't argue—"I got it. I got it," she told the Yahoo chairman. "I thought you were classier," she added.
Recruited in January 2009 after successfully building Autodesk (ADSK), Bartz never was the turnaround chief that the Yahoo board had wanted. Though she slashed costs and improved profit margins, she failed to improve revenue growth at a critical time when Yahoo has lost eyeballs and ad dollars to Google (GOOG) and Facebook. "They want revenue growth," says Bartz about the Yahoo board, "even though they were told that we would not have revenue growth until 2012."
As Bartz sees it, Yahoo's search partnership with Microsoft (MSFT)—a deal she negotiated two years ago to offload costs—has Yahoo paying Microsoft 12% of its search revenue and limits current growth but will help the company long-term. She attributes the directors' impatience to the criticism they faced when they turned down a lucrative deal to sell Yahoo to Microsoft in 2007, before she arrived. "The board was so spooked by being cast as the worst board in the country," Bartz says. "Now they're trying to show that they're not the doofuses that they are." (Bostock, who is vice chairman of Delta Air Lines (DAL) and on Morgan Stanley's (MS) board as well as Yahoo's, declined to comment.)
After Tuesday's call from Bostock, Bartz says, she had two hours to let Yahoo know whether she would resign or allow the board to fire her. She called her husband, Bill, her three children--a son and two daughters—and her longtime assistant, Judy Flores. Learning that Yahoo's lawyers had gone to the St. Regis hotel to hand her papers, she ditched that hotel and booked herself into another. "Am I stupid?!" she asks, making clear that she took her career crisis into her own hands.
It was that evening when she pulled out her iPad and wrote an email to Yahoo's 14,000 employees:
To all,
I am very sad to tell you that I've just been fired over the phone by Yahoo's Chairman of the Board. It has been my pleasure to work with all of you and I wish you only the best going forward.
Carol
What does Bartz think of her successor, Tim Morse? "He's a great guy," she says. Morse was chief financial officer under Bartz, and now he is interim chief of a company whose stock has risen 6% since he replaced her. Asked whom she thinks the board might appoint long-term, she replies, "They should bring me in. I knew what to do."
Sometimes it's difficult to know when Bartz is being serious. As I prod her to tell me what she might do next, I mention her age, 63—"**** you, yeah," she replies. And when I ask her if she's on any other public company boards besides Cisco (CSCO), where she is lead independent director, she says, "I'm on Yahoo's board." She tells me that she plans to remain a Yahoo director—which might be unlikely since she has now called her fellow directors "doofuses."
"I want to make sure that the employees don't believe that I've abandoned them. I would never abandon them," Bartz says. Besides, she adds, "I have way too many purple clothes."
She's referring to the color of Yahoo's logo. "I wish the Yahoo people the best," she adds, "because it's a fantastic franchise.

http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/08/carol-bartz-fired-yahoo/?hpt=hp_t2
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 11:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Carol Bartz's firing as Yahoo Inc.'s CEO isn't going to be enough to placate a loudening chorus of shareholders who believe Chairman Roy Bostock and his fellow board members also should be ousted after years of questionable choices that raised doubts about their competence.

The deepening disdain for Yahoo's board gained a potentially influential voice Thursday with the disclosure that successful hedge fund manager Daniel Loeb had bought a 5.2 percent stake in the company with designs on getting rid of Bostock and at least two other longtime directors.

Bartz, still technically a Yahoo board member, also fanned the flames in her first interview since Bostock fired her in a phone call late Tuesday. While defending her own decisions, Bartz called the board a bunch of "doofuses" in a profanity-laced interview with Fortune magazine.

Bartz, 63, wasn't a shareholder favorite either, but her description summarized the sentiment of many investors who have been stewing since Bostock and fellow board member Jerry Yang balked at Microsoft Corp.'s May 2008 offer to buy the company for $33 per share, or $47.5 billion. They insisted they were pursuing a strategy that would make Yahoo worth much more than Microsoft's bid, an argument that now looks absurd. Yahoo shares haven't closed above $20 in nearly three years. The stock finished Thursday at $14.44, a gain of 83 cents, or 6 percent, that was propelled by Loeb's attack on the board.

"This board has presided over some of the worst decisions made by any company in recent history," said Darren Chervitz, co-manager of the Jacob Internet Fund, a longtime Yahoo shareholder.

Even so, Yahoo's 10-member board probably still isn't viewed as the worst in Silicon Valley, said BGP Financial Partners Colin Gillis. He thinks that lowly title belongs to Hewlett-Packard Co.'s board, which has snooped into people's phone records and 13 months ago switched CEOs in a move that has been followed by a nearly 50 percent drop in the company's market value that has wiped out about $45 billion in shareholder wealth. By comparison, Yahoo's market value is about $30 billion below Microsoft's last offer

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Yahoos-board-under-fire-after-apf-2789583008.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=

The topic of the incompetence of HP can be found here

http://able2know.org/topic/176161-1

AND Here

http://able2know.org/topic/159776-1
0 Replies