Crime and punishment in the Navy

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:17 pm
I've mixed feelings on this story. I know procedures and consequences are/can be strict. The fellow in question seems very bright but may be out of his league in his protests re his separation decision. But, I've some sympathy.

Romance dooms Navy career of honored sailor
Joshua Hendershot had received a coveted achievement medal three times. Months later, he was given a discharge precluding use of the GI Bill.

The citation for the Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal received by Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Joshua Hendershot praised his “superior professionalism, exceptional performance and selfless devotion. (Tony Perry / Los Angeles Times)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sailor-20110903,0,3548124,full.story

I figure that over the years there have been many abrupt dismissals and that not all were appropriate, as systems miss justice sometimes, especially fast systems, perhaps to put it mildly, I surely don't know. (Not to mention re homosexuality, but that's another thread). But control is important in the armed forces and I get that, and I've read before about the dire consequences of fraternization to fraternizers. I even suppose that makes it tantalizing.

Should such dismissal have a more lengthy review, or are things fine as they are? Are only some caught in a sweep nailed for this?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,186 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:23 pm
Rules is rules, in the military. You break them and you pay for it. They signed the paperwork agreeing to all this when they were accepted into the service.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
True.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:31 pm
When I served, I saw a number of men kicked out for things for which a civilian would not have been payed attention to.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 05:53 pm
I'm sort of neutral, despite sympathy, since rules is rules and signed for. But I wonder about real life in the armed forces - how much fraternization happens and who gets away with it?

I also wonder, being crude, do they have masturbation closets? Do people forego that for years? Does this stricture improve the lives of port area prostitutes?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
There were no ladies on board my ship. And, anything like masturbation had to have been super secret. Not saying it did not happen, but the guys I served with would likely have reported it. There were things nobody else knew about. When I served on the deck crew, I saw Big Lou grab a man by the penis and pull him around the room a bit. When he spoke to me a few minutes later, I said, "What's the matter with you?" He just hung his head a bit and said, "Ain't nothing the matter with me." Turns out he thought I was too tough to mess with. Truth was, I was not getting much exercise at the time. Glad I looked strong.
0 Replies