Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 08:54 pm
@Eva,
Haha!!!

I'd say so! Mr. Green Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:08 pm
@GracieGirl,
The bones are one of the best parts of the sardines, Gracie. The only part better is the guts!

I hope the terlet had been flushed a few times before your brother choose his half a cup.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 10:23 pm
@JTT,
HAHAHA!!! Laughing Laughing EWWWW!! (grossed out face!)

Yep, the toilet was flushed. HAHA! (yucky!) Razz Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 06:23 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy wrote:

JPB wrote:

I'm driving for over an hour each way tomorrow to go for a walk in 95deg heat. Do you think I'm nuts?

Not if you make sure there is a pub near where you walk, that's what I do. Laughing

That's kinda sorta how I ended up driving over an hour each way to walk in the heat. A friend who lives on the other side of Chicagoland was going to meet me downtown today for lunch. We each take a different train into the city, meet for lunch, stroll around and then take our respective trains home. Instead of walking around downtown in 95deg heat (ACK!!!) we're going to walk at the Morton Arboretum and then go to a nearby Mexican restaurant that has wonderful ceviche. I heart ceviche!

JTT, ixnay of the ausessay. I like my sardines straight up!
JPB

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 06:24 am
@Eva,
I'd say so too.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 10:56 am
@JPB,
Quote:
I like my sardines straight up!

Me too, but the others are really nice too, JPB.
GracieGirl

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 10:59 am
@JTT,
Yuck! Razz
JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:04 am
@GracieGirl,
It was probably the mustard and hot sauce that gave you the Ewwwww factor, Gracie. You gotta love sardines straight up. Wink

Try a sardine sandwich on fresh brown whole wheat bread. Make some extras 'cause your school chums will wanna share your lunch. Smile
Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:10 am
@JTT,
I like my sardines on rye, with mayo, onion, and tomato.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:11 am
@GracieGirl,
I don't like sardines either. However, in fairness to those who do, I recently saw a history programme where they tried to reproduce the ancient Roman sauce Garum. From Wikipedia.
Quote:
Garum, similar to liquamen, was a type of fermented fish sauce condiment that was an essential flavour in Ancient Roman cooking, the supreme condiment.

Although it enjoyed its greatest popularity in the Roman world, it originally came from the Greeks, gaining its name from the Greek words garos or garon (γάρον), which named the fish whose intestines were originally used in the condiment's production.

What interested the researchers was that the Romans tended to use it with everything, even sweet dishes. They decided that garum was addictive, like chocolate or nicotine, it's got something in it that makes the body crave it.

Tey made some up, and volunteers tried it with pitta bread. It was obvious nobody really fancied it, and a few people pulled faces. About five minutes after their first taste though, they kept going back, and soon it was all gone.
JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:38 am
@Roberta,
That's a top notch combination, Roberta. As soon as talk surfaced - yesterday or whenever it was - about sardines, I had a hankerin' to go into town to get some.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:46 am
@JTT,
You are certifiably weird. Why would anybody go to town for sardines? It's not like they're chocolate or onions or carrots.

Trouble maker, now I want carrots.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 11:59 am
@JTT,
Had that samwich for dinner one day last week. Slurp. It hit the proverbial spot. I even liked making the samwich. I liked smooshing the sardines into the bread and mayo.
JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 12:07 pm
@Roberta,
Have you ever had a WallaWalla Sweet onion sandwich, Roberta?

Fresh, hot from the oven brown bread, butter, thick slabs of a WallaWalla Sweet and salt and pepper. Woooooodoggies!
Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 01:25 pm
@JTT,
I had to look up WallaWalla onions. So the answer is no, never had that. But I read enough to think I want that.

Thanks for the tip.
JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 01:27 pm
@Roberta,
Get a really really good one, a really really sweet one - it's like eating an apple.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that everyone hasn't had a WW Sweet sandwich?
Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 01:30 pm
@JTT,
I must contemplate your question. These things require thought. And my gray matter doesn't work as fast as it used to. Sigh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 01:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Tey made some up, and volunteers tried it with pitta bread. It was obvious nobody really fancied it, and a few people pulled faces. About five minutes after their first taste though, they kept going back, and soon it was all gone.

Wow! Did they figure out what the addictive property was?
JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 01:40 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Wow! Did they figure out what the addictive property was?

Duuuh - sardines!

Smile
0 Replies