When is it socially acceptable to hit a woman?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:50 am
Craven tossed out this tidbit...

Quote:
If a kid kicks me in the leg, shooting him in the head is disproportionate to the act being defended against.

If this is true, I apparently pursued the wrong course of action.

That poor kid.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:51 am
LOL!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:09 am
I've been punched in the face by a woman before and it was an unprovoked attack. Several women were taunting and looking for trouble. I was standing there and they apparently didn't like that fact so one of them got in my face and started poking and pushing. I stayed stone-faced and ignored her as much as I could until she lost it and sucker-punched me. I didn't hit her because I was scared (yes I fully admit it) and there were four of them and one of me. I imagined them all piling on me like dogs. I went to nearest payphone and called the police - with them standing behind me. They continued to try and pick a fight and I suddenly realized they wanted me to fight them so they could really let loose on me and cause some severe damage. I tried to walk away but they kept blocking me. The entire time I didn't say a word because I was angry and strangely for me, I couldn't bring myself to open my mouth for fear of worse trouble I would get myself into. Finally, a cop car pulled up and the girls scattered. I told the cops the story but of course there was nothing they could do. I have no idea what I would do in any situation until it actually happens but I reckon if they had attacked me and were beating on me, I would have to defend myself and get some licks in too. Some people are begging to be provoked into further violence. Sometimes it's better to be the bigger person and not descend to that level and other times it's a violation of your private space and you just can't let it go.

Oh I also have had an incident or two where I was the victim of other assaults and I fought like a mad-woman, breaking a nose and knocking a guys teeth out once!

It really does depend on the situation, the environment and my mood.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:20 am
farmerman wrote:
This was not civilization , this was NEw York.

I take umbrage at this remark. Wanna fight? C'mon. Put 'em up. Let's go, farmerman. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:22 am
i would not hit back if i was punched by some lunatic (unless it was continuous and i would have to defend myself, which here was not the case). likewise if someone was insulting me without me doing anything to deserve or provoke it, i wouldn't insult him/her back. that would only make me equaly stupid as the offender.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:58 am
Margo-- sorry , but I didnt set up the line, itb was there for the taking. like you never have those ideas .

In Philly , a couple of years ago, there was this famous event that occured on the expressway. Two guys were jostling for places in line and started noodgin each other. Then they start hollering through their open car windows and , finally things go to the extreme guy thing, they atrted giving each other THE FINGER!!!. Well , up, with this,was something that would not be put by either one. So one guy pulls out a piece and blows the other guy away.
my poker analogy is quite relevant in that case. Always try to read the other player, are they totally psycho, or mildly so. You never know whats on the other side of a man or womans coat. Could be a .357.

I would make a sliight mod to my hands off policy if i were allowed to carry MACE. I would spray that **** like room deodorizer at anybody that even looked slightly threatening. of course Id have to make sure i could duck and move away so the perp couldnt shoot strait.

When I worked in some african countries, it was like the old west (if everybody in the old west had Kalashnikovs). i had a dozer operator shot and killed next to me in Nigeria , so Ill take the Big Apple any day.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:10 am
"I would never hit a woman. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...hit a woman!

But I'll shake the sh!t out of her though."

-Chris Rock
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:36 pm
farmerman, I'm not Margo. But I kinda understand about a good line being too juicy to pass up. Still, I'm semicivilized and I'm a native Noo Yawker. Go figure.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:46 pm
agghhh sorry roberta... theres too damn many cat avatars. Yours is a cutie though
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:50 pm
Man or woman the situation would have to call for extreme self defense I think.

I had a galpal in an abusive alcoholic relationship who, when the situation escalted to physical beating, she hit back in self-defense when she saw blood. She pressed charges and was immediately arrested for assault herself.

The accountant in question should certainly have had the woman brought up on charges of assault, it is the smart thing to do and I believe the only other course of action would be to just take what happened and leave, as he did. To each his own.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:15 pm
Man, I still can't picture some fat broad taking a swing at me. If anything, I'd probably laugh at her fat-ass and humiliate her in front of everyone on the train....I don't think I could hit a woman, unless somehow she really did put in in physical harm.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:35 pm
To answer your question........when the bitch deserves it?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 01:45 pm
dlowan wrote:
Hmmmmm - large attutidinal surveys in Australia, (and, I understand, in the west generally, although I am not as sure of this - any info from others?), suggest that large numbers of men (the majority of those surveyed in large, randomised studies - I cannot recall the percentages of women....) think it is acceptable to hit a woman if she "gets out of line" or refuses sex, or is "mouthy".

This, in my state, was reinforced a few years ago, by a Supreme Court judge, who, in a rape in marriage case, said that it was acceptable to use "rougher than usual handling" to get your wife to have sex.

This is an absolutely disgusting decision, condescending and wrong. How could they get away with that? Were there protests?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 02:13 pm
I thnk it would be very hard not to hit someone back who hit you, if you were a person with some athletic ability, etc. But I tend to agree with posters who reserve violence for extreme self defense situations. As to telling the station master, is that a practical thing you can do? (I have limited subway riding experience as an adult). There would be the matter of getting witnesses to stay in place and hope they'd stand up for you. Reporting it sounds like a good idea though, if only that they might beef up security.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 02:30 pm
Whenever they are behind the wheel of a car.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 02:38 pm
Ossobuco, you are right to question that course of action. It is definitely NOT a practical way to deal with it. Maybe you'd be able to find a conductor (subway train driver, or whatever they are really called) who you could tell, but they are usually in one random car on the subway, and if you happen to be at the back of the train and he's at the front, forget about doing that. Station Manager? I'm pretty sure station managers are like the Tooth Fairy and Santa--they don't exist, even though we are told they do.

Bi polar--Funny AND offensive! Nice!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 03:04 pm
"his is an absolutely disgusting decision, condescending and wrong. How could they get away with that? Were there protests?"

Against the judge's summing up? Yes.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 03:08 pm
Good; although it should never have happened. Has anyone actually heeded the protests? It's dangerous that this kind of person is deciding Justice. It's the same over here; a female perpetrator of a crime would be treated as if she were more perverse than a male doing exactly the same thing, because of stupid prejudices and ideals of femininity and maternal instincts entrenched in some people's ways of thinking.

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 03:14 pm
In the U.S. if a female says "No", and you don't stop, even if she said "Yes" before, and you're busy doing what mammals do, then you are guilty of rape.

No joke. My point is that sometimes the law takes itself to far.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 03:18 pm
The example you cite is not "too far" at all.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 02:52:26