Katy Perry Ties Michael Jackson

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:25 pm
Quote:
Katy Perry this week ties one of Michael Jackson's most cherished records. "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" becomes the fifth #1 single on the Hot 100 from Perry's Teenage Dream album. The only other album in pop history to spawn five #1 singles was Jackson's 1987 smash Bad. This of course makes Perry the first female artist to achieve the feat.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/74400/week-ending-aug-14-2011-songs-not-bad/

This chick is not rolling in as much money as some artists but she is much more interesting to my eyes. She is solid musically and she lets her music do the talking rather than to gather attention by being outrageous (think GAGA and increasingly Rihanna) and she is not a worker bee stage hand like Spears and all of that ilk who dont craft anything but rather get on stage and act the part they are given.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 847 • Replies: 16

djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:39 pm
oh

i would have guessed she was molesting little boys
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Back in the day, we would have categorized that tune as Bubble Gum music -- in the same genre as:

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 07:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Back in the day, we would have categorized that tune as Bubble Gum music -- in the same genre as:
Perfect tunes for the Great Recession dont you think?? This girl is a smart one I tell ya....
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 07:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
She sounds like every other bubble headed bubble gum singer out there.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 07:56 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

She sounds like every other bubble headed bubble gum singer out there.
Maybe, but she obviously is not like every other bubble gum singer given her huge success. What she has that the others don't I am not sure, but she has the looks, the voice and the drive to start with. And as she herself has said her tits "have finally come in handy". Still, something else is going on with her that the others dont have. That she has enough skill to write catchy songs factors in here too...she knows what people want and she gives it to them, which is a big plus.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
My husband has been in the music business for nearly 40 years. He knows mechanically enhanced voices when he hears them. She will probably be like many others...........the next hot thing until someone with a hotter gimmick comes along. And if her breasts are what makes her popular it doesn't say a thing for her or the people that like her. But if that's okay with her who am I to say a thing?

There are many tastes in music. Mine definitely don't lean toward the bubble gum crowd.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:06 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
My husband has been in the music business for nearly 40 years. He knows mechanically enhanced voices when he hears them
Ask him, he will tell you that when you hear Perry you are getting the real voice, not AutoTune...

Quote:
the next hot thing until someone with a hotter gimmick comes along

She hit in 2008 with "I kissed a girl" just as the recession/depression was hitting, I think she is hot till times get better or she looses her way. Given that the economy is not going to get better in the forseeable future that might be awhile.

Quote:
. And if her breasts are what makes her popular it doesn't say a thing for her or the people that like her.
Actually it does, her image is sexy/geek/fun/confident/marches to her own drummer...the tits are an important part of the mix. Music is not just music anymore, has not been for decades...ask the hubby.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
My husband says her voice is mechanically enhanced. Yes the "I kissed a girl and I like it". I hate that song.

My tastes run more towards Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Roy Orbison, Charlie Rich, etc.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:31 pm
@Arella Mae,
Though I might never listen to it even if I sang it, I'd take the whateverillion bucks from a bubble gum smash hit.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
My husband says her voice is mechanically enhanced
OK, he seems to be right..I had heard otherwise....
boomerang

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think she's adorable and I like her music. I like Lady Gaga too.

I think they're both very talented and interesting and creative.

Katy Perry seems like a nice person too.

With so much crap music out there I think she's refreshing. My nieces adore her.
jcboy

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:49 pm
I really liked teenage dream but that is the only one. She's not one of my favorites,
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:58 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I think she's adorable
That is what she is going for....fun/flirty/non threatening..she nails it. As a guy who loves fun/strong/sexy/interesting women I love it. I like Avril lavigne for many of the same reasons, though all the claims that she takes credit for other peoples work and the shitty way she treats her men rubs me wrong.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:14 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Though I might never listen to it even if I sang it, I'd take the whateverillion bucks from a bubble gum smash hit.

Oh I can't argue the fact they make lots of money.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:15 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
My husband says her voice is mechanically enhanced
OK, he seems to be right..I had heard otherwise....

Thanx for saying that.
0 Replies