What would you get?

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

To be quite honest, I've never actually had it. I must admit I don't fancy it at all.

I've tasted it in the past, not enough to say I know anything about it. I remember it being salty, but from what I just read when I was clipping that picture, good caviar is NOT supposed to taste salty. Sometimes when I've gotten sushi rolls, they'll put about 4 little eggs there, no idea what kind it is.

A couple of months back, I must have been reading some book where people were eating caviar, and I thought "I should get a little bit of it, just to see what it's like"
So, the next time I was in Whole Foods, I asked someone where they had it. I had no idea if it was in tins in the tuna fish aisle or what. Turns out it's got to be kept cold, and is very perishable.
I was shown to the proper area, and asked the guy behind the counter about their caviar. I told him I knew nothing about it.
I will have to say that was the first time I ever had an unpleasnt experience with someone who works at Whole Foods. I've always found them to be friendly and helpful.
This guy was full of himself, immediately asking me detailed questions as to what I wanted, after I told him I didn't have a clue.
Heh, I just remembered, the first thing he asked me was "What will you be serving with this?" I'm thinking "**** if I know buddy. Maybe on a nice cracker?"

After a couple of minutes, I finally asked him "How much does this stuff cost?"
Basically about a zillion dollars an ounce. If he hadn't (at least tried) to make me feel stupid, I probably would have bought a bit for the experience.

Here's a picture of me listening to him ask me questions about caviar.

http://www.stupidhumans.org/image/stupidhumans/small/1012/do-i-look-fat-in-this-bra-tell-me-the-truth-rerun-stupid-human-1293154437.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:34 pm
@chai2,
I've only had caviar a couple of times - once, beluga, served by our food maven friend, yes, with crackers, and I forget what else, probably good champagne.

Then I bought some cheapish caviar one memorial day, the ex's birthday, along with some not expensive bubbly not from France, and some 'water crackers' - and we had ourselves a picnic on the hill in the park facing the water of Marina del Rey. Liked it as a fun thing to do.

I know the caviar-looking stuff you are talking about - or I think I do. I used to find them (it? little light orangey thingies) in really good tuna hand rolls, sprinkled on the top. I think I read a name for it on a menu, but forget what it's called.
GracieGirl

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 08:54 pm
@chai2,
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

LOL At that fat Chinese guy! HAHAHA!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:03 am
@ossobuco,
I like the cheaper form of the red caviar the best - also price wise.
I serve it in a half avacado with wome mayonaise
I also serve it in a shrimp salad - looks nice when you add and sprinkle it over the salad.
The shrimp salad can be served with smoked salmon or cold boiled salmon.
Serve with a chilled good white wine - so much better than any form of cheap champagne.
saab

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:09 am
@GracieGirl,
Funny, that question asked a bit differently I only have heard and read about in connection with wars.
What supply of food could be kept endlessly?
And the answer usually was:
rice, beans, dried peas, dried fruit, flower, sugar, good wine, conjac, whiskey and cigars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:10 am
@saab,
Now you're making me hungry, saab.
Ragman

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:22 am
@ossobuco,
Answer:Dark chocolate and red wine. In fantasy-land you don't gain weight nor can you get drunk.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:52 pm
@Ragman,
Chocolates awesome! Never had wine before but dont you wanna get drunk. Isnt that why people drink beer?
jcboy

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:05 pm
@GracieGirl,
Raw oysters! Once in San Francisco I ate five dozen.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:30 pm
@jcboy,
Yuck! I'd probably throw up! Those things taste like snot! HaHa! Mr. Green Very Happy Laughing
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:34 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Raw oysters! Once in San Francisco I ate five dozen.

Oh, I listened to this marine biologist on NPR describing the different types of oysters in the various sections of the bay, and I was salivating.

I remembered him describing this one petite oyster as tasting like "the breath of the sea"
I just about fainted.
jcboy

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:38 pm
@chai2,
I love them! There was a place in St. Pete called Island Seafood Market and you could get a dozen for $12.00, they closed recently but there is another Oyster bar on Central downtown. My dinner could consist of a couple dozen oysters and I would be in heaven.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 06:58 pm
@jcboy,
Really? Like, seriously? Shocked Surprised

Raw oysters? What does it taste like to you? Why do you like it? Wink Question Question
jcboy

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:02 pm
@GracieGirl,
Its more the flavor then the taste, Smile
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:22 pm
@jcboy,
Yucky! My grandpa eats them raw with hot sauce! I feel sick just thinking about it. Hahaha!! Laughing Mr. Green
chai2

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:57 pm
@GracieGirl,
mmm...you should try one Gracie, they're wonderful, really.

I like them with some cocktail sauce, a little heavy on the horseradish please.
chai2

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 07:58 pm
@chai2,
oh...as to what they taste like?

Good ones...like the breath of the sea.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:04 pm
chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate.....I am a chocoholic!
I love this one with hazelnuts...mmmhhhh

http://www.penny.de/uploads/tx_nxoffers/kw09_milka_mt.jpg

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:18 pm
@chai2,
Ewwwww! How does the breath of the sea taste. Thats a weird saying. You mean salty?
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yea! Im with ya on the chocolate! Ive never seen that kind before though
0 Replies