What is your take on religion?

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:48 am
Religion is a very "touchy" subject. I have, in the past, discussed religion and later faced the consequences. If I had to say anything about it, I would say that it is a conscious, sometime subconscious decision, to either believe or not believe. Many DO NOT believe this. Many, actually almost everyone I know, believe that a deity or supernatual being called them to thier beliefs. Is that okay? Why sure it is. It is okay to think that it was meant to be, yes, but it is not okay to think that I am wrong when you are right. I don't know how we can even come to a crossroads on this topic. It's unfortunate that we all have our views and will not listen to someone else's if we think it is even the least bit wrong or distorted. I fall into this category and I want to change. Help me change, all of you, by discussing with me this perplexing and "touchy" subject. I may even contradict myself. You can point it out. It's a learning process. Thank you in advance for your reply. Show and tell away... P.S. by the way- If you were wondering- I am an Atheist. Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,535 • Replies: 21
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:52 am
@The Peacemaker,
Quote:
P.S. by the way- If you were wondering- I am an Atheist.

So, what do you mean by "athiest," exactly? Can you elaborate?
Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:53 am
@The Peacemaker,
God bless the Atheists.

Only problem with being an Atheist is there are hardly any holidays. Laughing
The Peacemaker

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:58 am
@InfraBlue,
Of course. I don't believe in a higher power, deity, super-natural being, etc. I simply see the cold, hard facts of life, which are clear to me. I sometime wish I believed, but I do not think that I ever will. I do not think that relgion is necessarily a good thing-not always. I admit that I could be wrong. Let's face it-I haven't heard everyone's point of view. I also want to understand every point-of-view without necessarily agreeing whole-heartedly. I think there may be a way to agree, but that may just take a brain transplant. I don't know for sure, but it might take something pretty close to it. Smile
0 Replies

The Peacemaker

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:00 am
@Ragman,
You're right! And I absolutely love 'em! I have to admit... Embarrassingly so, I do enjoy Christmas. I know it's laughable and wierd, but I do.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:20 am
@The Peacemaker,
The Peacemaker wrote:
What is your take on religion?
It's an unfortunate and inelegant distraction from the true beauties of the world.
The Peacemaker

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:26 am
@rosborne979,
Interesting comment. It can be. Actually, I do think the same thing. But at the same time, I believe that we have to seek to understand everyone if we, in return, wish to be understood. Someone told me this in a reply and I agree whole-heartedly. Yet, if I had to choose a religion, I'd choose Buddhism, at least some parts of it. I don't think you have to necessarily believe in a deity with this one. Wink Thank you for your reply!
rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:33 am
@The Peacemaker,
You can still seek to understand others without being religious.
The Peacemaker

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:34 am
@rosborne979,
Of course. I actually think you can understand better that way. Smile
saab

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:45 pm
@The Peacemaker,
There are atheists, agnostics and about 10 000 different religions in this world.
One of the 10 000 is Christianity, which again is divided up into over 30 000 different denominations.
You can spend the rest of your life and also the next one whereever that is taking place to find out an answer on your question.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:50 pm
@The Peacemaker,
The Peacemaker wrote:

Of course. I actually think you can understand better that way. Smile

You're too much of a peacemaker, you'll never get a discussion started that way Wink
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:57 pm
@rosborne979,
Religion is The Devil's best invention.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 01:34 pm
This woman (?) fractures me. She uses "Peacemaker" as a screen name, and has a thread asking people if they are open-minded and this one asking for one's "take" on religion. Oh yeah . . . she'll be making a lot of peace . . .
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 02:10 pm
@Setanta,
Could be a typo, she may farm pulses.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
Or a crappy thesis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 02:11 pm
Pease porridge hot
Pease porridge cold
Pease porridge in the pot
Nine days old
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 02:27 pm
@Setanta,
They used to sell pease pudding and ham stotties, down the Blackbird, the pub I started drinking in when I was 17, and still underage.
http://seabreezes.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341cda5253ef010535ba13cd970c-800wi
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:18 pm
I'm without theism myself, but am not against religions as such, much. I think they are sometimes used for ill, putting it mildly, and sometimes for good.

Izzy, yaaaak, that photo is a turnoff, at first glance, but the only thing I recognize is the ham and have never tasted the other stuff. Who knows, I might like it/them. So, what are pease? Or, is pease, as the case may be. Guessing, pureed cooked oats? Some kind of pea, mashed? mashed cooked white beans?
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:27 pm
Its kinda boring. I dont get any of it but I saw Passion Of Christ at a Christian friends house last year and It made me sad and a litle scared. I cant get into the bibles and stuff because they talk weird and different but I guess the movies are better. If they had a movie about every part of the bible like they did for Passion Of Christ, that would be cool! I dont know alot so Im not religious but I think I believe in god. My dad and most of my family doesnt.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Pease pudding

Ingredients:

•1 lb (450 g) dried peas
•1 medium sized onion
•2 teaspoons salt
•1 oz (28 g) butter
•1 egg (beaten)
•Pepper

Method:
1.Soak the peas overnight in cold water and then drain.
2.Peel and chop the onion quite finely and put in a saucepan with the peas and salt. Cover with cold water.
3.Bring the pan to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours until the peas are soft.
4.Drain the peas and onion and either push them through a sieve or puree them in an electric blender.
5.Return the puree to a clean saucepan and place over a very low heat.
6.Add the butter, beaten egg, and pepper to taste and stir all the time until the mixture is hot.

Note: Especially good wiith boiled ham and roast pork.
0 Replies