NPR's Top 100 SF/Fantasy Books

Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 04:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thanks, Finn!

Have you read most of the NPR list? I just counted, and I've read 26 (more since the series are included), so I only have 74 to go!!! (More, since the series are included lol)!
Linkat

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:21 pm
@roger,
Thanks - not sure if I have read his or not before - name is definately familar. I read alot, but often times I don't remember the author - I just plain like to read and all sorts of books - although generally not a sci fi fan - I have read some that I've enjoyed.

I guess the title just hit me as being a bit creepy - I do like creepy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
the Watch series is quite good

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:25 pm
@DrewDad,
I feel like this list was done already...... recently. How much can an "all-time-best" list change?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:29 pm
@Linkat,
I have read Going Postal. Pratchett is one of my favorite authors, but even given my bias, Going Postal is good.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:31 pm
Neil Gaiman has written some good books. But, I'm in the middle of American Gods and I am not all that impressed with it. I like Anansi Boys and the Graveyard Book better.
littlek

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:33 pm
@izzythepush,
Going Postal is on British TV?!? Was it good?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 02:35 am
@littlek,
It was very enjoyable, they've also done The Colour Of Magic, and The Hogfather. It was made by Sky, who have connections with Fox and HBO, so I'm a bit surprised they've not surfaced over your side of the pond.

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:48 am
@izzythepush,
i bootlegged a copy of Hogfather because David Jason was in it, couldn't get through the whole thing, can't figure out why i don't get Prachett, maybe if i'd started reading them when i was younger, i do so love Good Omens his collaboration with Gaiman, and quite enjoyed Johnny and the Bomb, but i just don't get Discworld

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 06:51 am
@littlek,
perhaps my love for Gaiman's The Sandman helped with my enjoyment of American Gods

i love his take on unseen powers that shape or have shaped our destinies
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:10 am
@djjd62,
I don't get Pratchett either, but I have enjoyed the TV adaptations. David Jason plays a far more prominent role in The Colour Of Magic, which I believe is the better of the three.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:12 am
@izzythepush,
might have to look for it
hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:13 am
@djjd62,
I still own those vinyl versions Deej, but they aren't the original radio recordings, they were re-recorded (and in at least one instance the story changed). Somewhere I got a hold of a bunch of later series too, up to part 7 I think. Never reached the heights of the first two.

Just realised that what you posted in quotes pretty much says that.
hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I kind of agree that the list sucks, and I like your list of who missed out. Can't believe though that you didn't bag the inclusion of Jasper Fforde. That was fluff.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:19 am
@hingehead,
i really liked the vinyl versions (perhaps because they were different), i eventually collected the entire collection of radio broadcasts, and you're right they don't quite match the first two

some of that might have to do with the time frame two, during the original series broadcasts i was a senior in high school, getting ready to take on the world, and hearing this crazy radio comedy about life, the universe and everything was pretty cool
hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:26 am
@djjd62,
Yeah I loved it too, for pretty much the same reasons, and some of the cool ideas (like babelfish), and post modernish acceptance that everything would still be crap, even if we had hover cars, but I don't think it belongs in the list as a 'book'.

I've read about 35 of the list, but my tastes lean more to SF than fantasy. And that timeframe/context thing. I used to love Larry Niven for the ideas and science but reading it now it gets a little, I don't know, Boy's Own?

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:28 am
@djjd62,
I think it's all on youtube. Here's the first part.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:32 am
@izzythepush,
cool, i got some places where i'm sure i can get a copy Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:09 pm
@izzythepush,
I saw Hogfather and the Color of Magic. There were also animated versions of Soul Music and ..... one other.

American Gods is good, I just like his others better. I keep feeling like he's channeling Pratchett a bit too much on this one. Have you read Small Gods?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@littlek,
I've not read any Pratchett. I watch the Sky adaptations for the children as much as anything else. They tend to be shown during Easter and Christmas, when the family traditionally sits down at the telly together. I enjoyed them, but they didn't make me want to seek him out. Game of Thrones, however was quite different, after seeing that I went out and read all the books in the series (so far.)